The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #9,151 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be awesome if you could translate some of the more interesting excerpts from it (eg. 007 vs 007a)!

Ok here's my clumsy attempt on translation of the stax interview
"Some of the 007 in the past were returned by customer had cables pulled out. problem was solved in 007a by having screw fixed on the cable. When this was fixed we start to think about what else can be done to improved the headphone, we had tried real leather ear pad On 404 in the past, customers who had trial this come back with good feedback, breathable and not sweaty. When we tried the italy sheep leather ear pad on the 007, we were surprised to find that the volume became louder, solving the problem 007 long had, bumping of certain frequency range on the bass spectrum. There were people complaint in the past about the 007, saying the bass is not smooth enough, changing to the new ear pad give the 007a a more even and flatter bass spectrum"

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #9,152 of 24,807
Quote:

Are you sure about Mk1 pads? They look very much like higher grade artificial leather to me.

The Mk1 earpads seem to be good quality artificial leather to me.

The Mk2 earpads smells like real leather, and look and feel like good quality real leather.

Whether the Mk1 earpads are real leather or not, I don't think they feel as good as the Mk2 earpads. Their padding is also not as firm and they compress more easily.

According to Stax PDF catalogs downloaded from their website, the Mk1 earpads are "high quality artificial leather" and the Mk2 earpads are:

"Real leather (Sheep) used on a part coming into contact with the skin. High-quality leather used for the surrounding part."

You can find the PDF files on the Stax website, or use these download links:

SR-007

SR-007 MkII

Earpad installation guide

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #9,154 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering... how much better is the SRM-300 against the 252?

Ive been ignored
tongue.gif
hehehe actually i'll revise the question. What is the best value amp for the entry level lambda 202

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #9,155 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive been ignored
tongue.gif
hehehe actually i'll revise the question. What is the best value amp for the entry level lambda 202

IMHO:Best value--> 252 or 212
Best sound--->717

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #9,156 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, will new pads help my Lambdas at all or not? The pads are in fine shape but old and tend to lose seal with movement. Just not supple anymore. I keep them clean but still have that issue.

The vinyl gets less malleable with age so the new pads will be softer and more comfortable. I would change but the material is slightly different so you might like the old pads more.

Quote:

Are you sure about Mk1 pads? They look very much like higher grade artificial leather to me.

100% sure. Just pull them off and then pull them apart. Then looking at the suede like finish at the back proves that they are leather while the vinyl Stax use has a woven fabric backing. They also age like leather and not like the vinyl pads on the SR-Omega.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How difficult (or easy) is it to change the pads on the 007 and 007a?

It's a pain the first time you do it but gets easier.
tongue.gif
There are tips on how to do it towards the end of the "to tweak 007A..." thread

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #9,158 of 24,807
Hey guys, gals, others,

The Pop Pulse amp is a killer. I got mine hooked up with a 10 awg Tributaries pc. It is some monster that looks like a big garden hose. Cost me $42 at audio advisor.

Anyway, got that plugged straight into the wall. My PC and Oritek dac w/ gutwire pc(excellent btw)are plugged into a tripp lite L250 power conditioner.

So this combo is pretty amazing. Tight, tight focus. Really awesome detail and speed. I want to add a sub for tactile impact. Maybe something small like the Totem storm.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #9,161 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much of the performance do you attribute to the power cords?

The power stuff just seems to clean up the sound. Background is blacker and thus the details stand out more.

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #9,162 of 24,807
I have a question regarding stax pads. I believe I have the original pads on my sr-lambdas. they are in great shape, at least by the looks. It came to me that the pads may have compressed over the years. if your pads are not damaged, how do you know if they need replacing? is this a pointless upgrade if they arnt falling apart?

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #9,163 of 24,807
The seal is much less important on the Lambda than on other models, IMHO, so I wouldn't worry about the pads if they're comfortable to you. I'm in the same boat, though, so if I decide to put some new ones on I'll let you know.

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #9,164 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The seal is much less important on the Lambda than on other models, IMHO, so I wouldn't worry about the pads if they're comfortable to you. I'm in the same boat, though, so if I decide to put some new ones on I'll let you know.

cool, thanks. I was thinking about it in terms of how it would change the distance from the driver to the ear. I'm trying to find out how thick the pads are supposed to be, as i've been experimenting with that.

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #9,165 of 24,807
New discovery. this may or may not be tied into my last question about pads. I have noticed on my sr-lambdas, that when I pull the base of the cans slightly away from my head (under my ears), the bass and overall soundstage gets clearer, bigger, better. I noticed this a while ago, and I thought I was imagining it at first, but I've been fooling with it, and I'm sure I hear an improvement. the amount I am moving them is very small. I am wondering if this has more to do with breaking whatever seal there is, or if I am hearing a piece of spritzers mod where he removed the inner fiberglass padding, which I have not done by the way. It could be the actual distance I am moving the diaphragms from my ears, but I cant make that call because I am also breaking the seal by doing so. has anyone heard of this before? and if so, what did you come up with.

I also feel that with the improvement of the bass, the low midrange also comes up. I like this, because the cans seem a bit mid pushed at times.

this of course could all be due to needing new pads. which I'm not sure I do.. see, I've come full circle. help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back