The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #9,166 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive been ignored
tongue.gif
hehehe actually i'll revise the question. What is the best value amp for the entry level lambda 202

The one you have
biggrin.gif

But the next step is to get a used SRM-1 mkII, or a 313/323.
I've got a srm-323 paired with the 202 I got on a deal from Headroom.
The SRM-1 is better. I'm using it with the 404's, and it tames some of the high end glare. The 202 seems to pair better with the SRM-323 than the
404's did.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #9,167 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100% sure. Just pull them off and then pull them apart. Then looking at the suede like finish at the back proves that they are leather while the vinyl Stax use has a woven fabric backing. They also age like leather and not like the vinyl pads on the SR-Omega.

Are all SR-007 pads are leather or just some? Why does Stax literature lists them as artificial leather? This Stax pads business is confusing to me. I really like my SR-007 pads, more than SR-007Mk2 pads. Also SR-007BL pads felt different to me.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #9,168 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one you have
biggrin.gif

But the next step is to get a used SRM-1 mkII, or a 313/323.
I've got a srm-323 paired with the 202 I got on a deal from Headroom.
The SRM-1 is better. I'm using it with the 404's, and it tames some of the high end glare. The 202 seems to pair better with the SRM-323 than the
404's did.

I agree with you in that the SRM-T1S that I have tames the highs of the 404 somewhat.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #9,169 of 24,807
The 202s highs dont need taming. they are already a little tame so if i get another amp for them it would be something that will add crispness to the highs and more power and dynamics. Wonder what amp that might be

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #9,170 of 24,807
Quote:

The 202s highs dont need taming. they are already a little tame so if i get another amp for them it would be something that will add crispness to the highs and more power and dynamics. Wonder what amp that might be

SRM-1 Mk2 Pro or Woo GES.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #9,172 of 24,807
Quote:

Where do I get the srm1-mk2 and what is a good price for them usually

They pop up here or on eBay or audiogon from time to time. One with Pro/Normal bias jacks commands about $450 and one with Pro/Pro about $400, and one with normal/normal about $350 but wont do you any good.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #9,173 of 24,807
Dec 18, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #9,174 of 24,807
Quote:

Where do I get the srm1-mk2 and what is a good price for them usually

They show up at Amplification For Sale / Trade forum, eBay, AudiogoN, ... once in a while.
The price differ, considering that there are several versions. The old ones with two Normal bias outputs, the Pro one with a Normal and a Pro bias output, and the P.P. one with two Pro boas outputs. But anywhere between $300 and $500 seems fair.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #9,176 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are all SR-007 pads are leather or just some? Why does Stax literature lists them as artificial leather? This Stax pads business is confusing to me. I really like my SR-007 pads, more than SR-007Mk2 pads. Also SR-007BL pads felt different to me.

Stax literature is more Engrish then Enlish most of the time so who knows. Looks like I'll have to break open a set of Mk1 pads and open them up...
wink.gif

I've never had a Mk1 BL and Stax won't sell the black pads from Japan so I don't know if they differ. If somebody has a spare set of black Mk1 pads then I'd like to buy it... new or used.

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #9,179 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? no one has any insight on my previous post?

I think its related to you breaking the seal, and hence allowing the transducers to move with less resistance.
I remember noticing similar experience with my SR-Lambda Pro's as well. The sound stage might have improved, but to my ears it hurt the bass. The bass get too much bloom for my taste.

Removing the back damping did the same for the sound stage, without hurting the bass.
smile.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #9,180 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? no one has any insight on my previous post?

You're not the first one to discover increased bass, midbass, and soundstage when breaking the seal on lambda pads. It's been discussed a few times in this thread.

Wualta may be the one best qualified to comment on it.

As for spritzer's mod - spritzer has a strong bias toward air-damped designs - a preference that borders on pathology - so what works for him may not be what works for anybody else.

I wonder if the broken seal can be simulated by inserting a short length of one of those double-barreled coffee staws between earpad and baffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back