The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #8,836 of 24,807
Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but here's my story.

From hanging around Head-Fi in general and this thread in particular, I recently arrived at the SRM-717 OM/Mk1 combo, both also bought here on Head-Fi.

They are easily the best things headphone-wise I've had. More than anything, I was impressed with the bass of the Stax. I don't know if it's just the OM's or the 717 or the combo, but ohhh so nice.

But in the end, I've just spent too much money on this hobby. I've also got the 404's and Spritzer's SRM-T1S and have decided I can easily live with this pair.

So if anyone is interested in relieving me of my burden
ksc75smile.gif
, let me know.

Gene

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #8,837 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the system that I bought yesterday(looks better in the flesh). It still needs a decent DAC but sounded wonderfully with the seller's Denon DVD player. The Nova Signature seemed to be more laid-back than the (1 month old) SR-404. I didn't hear them side by side and I didn't have much time because of the late arrival time, so I might be wrong on that. But it doesn't really matter for me, 'cause it seems to be on a new level compared any of the dynamics I heard.
Of course, a decent DAC is needed to complete my system, but I will be patient.

Congrats!BTW I think that SRM-T1S is one gorgeous looking amp.I'm going to get the SR404 too,since i really like the SR303 and from what i read 404 is a more refined version of 303,with a better cable.
BTW i like the look of the lambdas/sr303/404.This nerdy'geeky 70s hi-fi look.I know most people think they are ugly but i love the look
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #8,838 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats!BTW I think that SRM-T1S is one gorgeous looking amp.I'm going to get the SR404 too,since i really like the SR303 and from what i read 404 is a more refined version of 303,with a better cable.
BTW i like the look of the lambdas/sr303/404.This nerdy'geeky 70s hi-fi look.I know most people think they are ugly but i love the look
biggrin.gif

At the moment, together with the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW10JPN they look like the Beauty and the Beast
tongue.gif

By the way, is it a totally crazy idea to get myself a mini-RCA IC and hook it up to my girl's Sony mp4 player and play 320kbps aac files on it? I would like to experience at least a little part of the Stax experience
wink.gif
But if it is pointless, I won't try it.
But one thing is for sure: I need to wait a certain amount of time for a DAC it deserves.

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #8,841 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just setup my new "old" BH today and..... wow....
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ateNov08-1.jpg

Does anyone know how I can bias the tubes on the BH? Or do need to bias it at all?

Can't help you with the question about the KGBH.
But have to chime in telling that I really like your setup. Clean, minimalist, .. just the way I like.
smile.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #8,843 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just setup my new "old" BH today and..... wow....
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ateNov08-1.jpg

Does anyone know how I can bias the tubes on the BH? Or do need to bias it at all?

That one looks a bit familiar...
wink_face.gif
You need to bias the tubes each time you change them and it's a good idea to check the bias every few months though I've never found the amp to drift much. PM me your email address and I'll send you the instructions. You will have to move the amp though since the top needs to be open while biasing.

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #8,844 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the system that I bought yesterday(looks better in the flesh). It still needs a decent DAC but sounded wonderfully with the seller's Denon DVD player. The Nova Signature seemed to be more laid-back than the (1 month old) SR-404. I didn't hear them side by side and I didn't have much time because of the late arrival time, so I might be wrong on that. But it doesn't really matter for me, 'cause it seems to be on a new level compared any of the dynamics I heard.
Of course, a decent DAC is needed to complete my system, but I will be patient.

Nice buy! The Nova Signatures are a nice and relatively efficient phone compared with the O2 (despite their Stax quoted efficiency supposedly being the same). They sound very good, apart from a slightly bright upper mid (surprise!), but they should sound better than the 404 and your SRM T1S should tame the peak a little. Have a look for an Apogee Mini-DAC - I am having good results running the system all-balanced from the Studer CD player to Mini-DAC to SRM 717 to any of 3 Stax headphones - the Nova Signatures sound less bright when connected balanced rather than single ended to the SRM-717 (the Studer has SE outputs as well as balanced).

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #8,845 of 24,807
I structured my LNS system this way:

Pioneer PD-65 -> [glass optical]-> Museatex Bitstream DAC ->[Omega Micro RAC cables]-> Stax SRM-T1S (with Toshiba tubes) -> LNS
biggrin.gif

I tried Sylvania and RCA tubes as well and Toshiba's are a bit nicer, RCA clear top in second place with Sylvania still good but less resolving of all three. I also feel that with glass optical cable my system is more resolving than with my canare coax, could be placebo, but I left the glass cable in. If it sounds good don't fudge it up
biggrin.gif

I also use that same setup for all my other stats, but I set it up with LNS in mind. O2 sounds very good as well but a bit dark, something that only my "still in the works" GU50 amp might solve.

Nov 22, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #8,846 of 24,807
The O2 would most likely be underpowered in that system, whereas the LNS would do well and sound very nice. The SRM1 Mk2 would be just borderline power wise. The SRM-717 is OK as far as I can tell.

Nov 22, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #8,847 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosepond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But in the end, I've just spent too much money on this hobby. I've also got the 404's and Spritzer's SRM-T1S and have decided I can easily live with this pair.

So if anyone is interested in relieving me of my burden
ksc75smile.gif
, let me know.Gene

Personally, I would keep the SRM 717 and sell the SRM T1S. That 717 is a classic.

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #8,848 of 24,807
Got an Oritek Zhalou coming to meet my Lambdas. Very excited. They already sing with my modded X-FI. Bit-perfect into the zhalou and we'll see just how far into the music I can get. Pretty amazing detail levels already lol.

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #8,849 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I would keep the SRM 717 and sell the SRM T1S. That 717 is a classic.

I have both the 717 and the T1s to drive my LNS. The LNS sounds thicker with the T1s, but a little less controlled generally. With the 717, the music is more laid back and separation is better. Further, with the power of the 717 the LNS appers to benefit with more control. As I prefer my music to be more laid back, I will, like John prefer to keep the 717. The difference is not huge though. With the T1s driving the LNS, many will be happy for a long time.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #8,850 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That one looks a bit familiar...
wink_face.gif
You need to bias the tubes each time you change them and it's a good idea to check the bias every few months though I've never found the amp to drift much. PM me your email address and I'll send you the instructions. You will have to move the amp though since the top needs to be open while biasing.

Spritzer "familiar"? Sat in your home for some time I guess!!! The BHSE is running at more than 1500v. Biasing has to be done with the amp on. Pls be careful and get a long sleeved screw driver Jigster. The amp was just looked into by Justin I believe; so he might have biased it already. In any case, it is still good to learn how to bias it. If in doubt, get others to do it for you. As a last note, biasing requires a lot of patience and concentration as the turns can be very minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back