The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #8,806 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm not mistaken, that plastic is an integral part of the driver. The SR-5s are electret, not electrostatic, meaning they're more like orthos or planars than normal stats. This is a little out of my depth, but I'm reasonably certain that removing the plastic "cover" would render them useless.

It's not surprising that your SR-5NB aren't as good as your Lambda pros, though -- they aren't on the same level.

SR-5 ARE electrostatic, not electret. They will not run on an SRD-4 that has no bias voltage. They use 230v normal bias.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #8,807 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-5 ARE electrostatic, not electret. They will not run on an SRD-4 that has no bias voltage. They use 230v normal bias.

That, and electrets are electrostatic.

Apart from the weird back-electrets from toshiba/aurex and A-T/Signet, the only difference is that the bias is provided by the semi-permanent charge applied to the membrane plastic by heating it to it's melting point inside of a very strong field.

Sensitivity is a bit less both because the electret film is thicker stuff and because the bias isn't as strong, but it's still an electrostatic design consisting of a tensioned biased diaphragm and active stators.

Nov 20, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #8,810 of 24,807
I have this rather crazy idea (well this is head-fi so...
wink.gif
) to
recable my Stax SR003 with a higher end Stax cable.I like these babystaxes
because they are so light and comfy (to me)but i hate the cable.Too
short,too flimsy and the Y split is waaay too low.And the sound will,propably, be better.Do you know anyone who would do the job?I asked apuresound b/c he recables Koss stats but he said no.Anyone?

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #8,811 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it seems that my hopes of getting a decent used Stax system haven't been gone...stay tuned for a bigger writeup
wink.gif

Nice to hear!
I am sure you will be well pleased with the SR-404 & SRM-1/MK2 combo.
lambda.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #8,812 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my normal Lambdas singing today! The Pop Pulse amp is a good match apparently. BIG bass! Smooth, fast, natural mmmmmmmmm good!

So my total system is :

Windows Media Loss less > X-FI elite pro modded w/ LM4562 $100 > Blue Dragon mini to rca I/C $75 > Pop Pulse T40i amp $140 > SRD-7 $100 > Lambda Normal bias $200 = $615 total.

Not bad sounding for that. When I get a better dac watch out!

Glad everything is working out for you.
biggrin.gif

Enjoy them.
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #8,813 of 24,807
Quote:

Hmm, what song should I cue up to listen for this in my SR-5NB?

You can try to listen to "I'm thru with love" in All for You for the depth of the sustain pedals and bass in general, but I'm not sure your opinion will change
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #8,814 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to hear!
I am sure you will be well pleased with the SR-404 & SRM-1/MK2 combo.
lambda.gif

One could stop right there and be perfectly happy. Of course, it's also the perfect gateway combo...

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #8,815 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try to listen to "I'm thru with love" in All for You for the depth of the sustain pedals and bass in general, but I'm not sure your opinion will change
biggrin.gif

I have 5 of her CD's but not that one. But some of her songs on Girl in the Other Room have a thumpy sustain pedal I can listen for. Oh well.

Nov 21, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #8,816 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One could stop right there and be perfectly happy. Of course, it's also the perfect gateway combo...

Unfortunately that deal fell off due to unexpected events, but now there's a new (and probably last) local deal on a SRM-T1S & Lambda Nova Signature. Seems to be in very good condition and the amp was checked buy Stax Germany a few years ago. It costs a little bit more, but if it sounds as expected I will not hesitate to buy it because the owner upgraded and he is willing to help if there is any problem with it.

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #8,817 of 24,807
Quote:

I have 5 of her CD's but not that one. But some of her songs on Girl in the Other Room have a thumpy sustain pedal I can listen for. Oh well.

of all the Krall choices, the nat cole tribute is the best one. it was her best effort in both playing and singing. she swings her A** off, more on that album then on any that followed it. imho..

its on my listening list for when my stax finally get here.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #8,818 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So true!
Especially when hanging around Head-Fi, and get exposed to SR-007's and like.
o2smile.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #8,820 of 24,807
This waiting game is killing me...

I must say I'm unusually anxious, this almost never happens with just 'any' purchase in my entire life; in fact I haven't experience this sort of hype with any audio gear I've ever purchased...

My expectations for the Ω2 setup? EXTREMELY high; a LOT higher than than the R10.
Keep in mind I've only auditioned the mk2 at Ray's crib.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back