The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #8,821 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This waiting game is killing me...

I must say I'm unusually anxious, this almost never happens with just 'any' purchase in my entire life; in fact I haven't experience this sort of hype with any audio gear I've ever purchased...

My expectations for the Ω2 setup? EXTREMELY high; a LOT higher than than the R10.
Keep in mind I've only auditioned the mk2 at Ray's crib.

I hope you have not set yourself up for a disappointment with such expectations. They are great headphones but they are not magical.

Nov 22, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #8,822 of 24,807
Hey guys, I just picked up a pair of 007mkI and I enjoying them immensely. I am running them out my KGSS at 600V bias as that is supposed to be the best from what I have read. The headphones are comfortable and fit nicely over the ears. The first thing I noticed was the bass; it went deeper than the esp950s and is the best headphone bass I had heard to date. I can see how these are labeled dark phones at meets. The bass overwhelms and you don't stay with the phone. However, I have found if you keep listening everything is there and balanced. It is just the bass is that attention grabbing. I will post more detailed impressions later and I think I will be selling with my esp950s; they just don't compare. ( and they shouldn't for a third of the price.)

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #8,823 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I just picked up a pair of 007mkI and I enjoying them immensely. I am running them out my KGSS at 600V bias as that is supposed to be the best from what I have read. The headphones are comfortable and fit nicely over the ears. The first thing I noticed was the bass; it went deeper than the esp950s and is the best headphone bass I had heard to date. I can see how these are labeled dark phones at meets. The bass overwhelms and you don't stay with the phone. However, I have found if you keep listening everything is there and balanced. It is just the bass is that attention grabbing. I will post more detailed impressions later and I think I will be selling with my esp950s; they just don't compare. ( and they shouldn't for a third of the price.)

After getting used to my O2 Mk2 I was also going to sell my re-cabled ESP950 (Stax PC-OCC cable), but realized that they offer a nice contrasting sound with excellent midrange detail and transparency. I'm keeping both, along with my HE60, and sold my SR-Lambda Signature instead (too similar to my SR-Lambda).

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #8,824 of 24,807
hey guys, finally got my sr-lambda's and my srd-7sb today. the cable connection on the sb is terminated in to 4 wires with flat Fork ends. is there a way to make this work with a modern amplifier speaker connection without cutting off the fork?

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #8,825 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, finally got my sr-lambda's and my srd-7sb today. the cable connection on the sb is terminated in to 4 wires with flat Fork ends. is there a way to make this work with a modern amplifier speaker connection without cutting off the fork?

If your speaker amp has binding posts that screw down they will work. In my case I installed gold plated banana plugs on all my SRD boxes.

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #8,826 of 24,807
Those fork ends are likely spades, and a modern amplifier should have no problem with them. Just uncrew the plastic part, slide the spade around the metal part, and screw it back down. If that doesn't work, cut 'em off and run the bare wire in.

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #8,827 of 24,807
Quote:

Congratulations!
lambda.gif

So the binding posts on your speaker amplifier don't take spades. Thats quite rare, but I guess it happens. In that case you may work around it by some short cable ends and tape, or simply cut off the spades

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #8,828 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well I would say they do compare, just not that favorably. Koss are very very nice but O2 is better in almost all aspects. However I can see how someone can like Lambda or ESP950 sound-signature better. Enjoy your O2 I know I am and I don't even have KGSS
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #8,829 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you have not set yourself up for a disappointment with such expectations. They are great headphones but they are not magical.

Oh no, not at all. In fact the reason why I stated I have extremely high expectations for this thing is: I have a set preconceptions about their sound and technical prowess. I can't wait for it to get here
smile.gif

*[snip]*

Quote:

hey guys, finally got my sr-lambda's and my srd-7sb today....

Awesome Keith
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #8,830 of 24,807
Here is the system that I bought yesterday(looks better in the flesh). It still needs a decent DAC but sounded wonderfully with the seller's Denon DVD player. The Nova Signature seemed to be more laid-back than the (1 month old) SR-404. I didn't hear them side by side and I didn't have much time because of the late arrival time, so I might be wrong on that. But it doesn't really matter for me, 'cause it seems to be on a new level compared any of the dynamics I heard.
Of course, a decent DAC is needed to complete my system, but I will be patient.

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #8,831 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the system that I bought yesterday(looks better in the flesh).

Congratulations!
smile.gif

SR-Lambda Nova Signature and SRM-T1, right?

It sure looks nice, and I am sure it sounds nice as well (I have never heard those).

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #8,832 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations!
lambda.gif

So the binding posts on your speaker amplifier don't take spades. Thats quite rare, but I guess it happens. In that case you may work around it by some short cable ends and tape, or simply cut off the spades

yes, very strange. there is plastic around the bass of the binding post. as you unscrew it, there is a place to put bare wire, but it wont unscrew enough to place the fork around the post. I'm going to continue to look at it closely when I get a better chance, as I am not very hip to cutting off the connectors. its odd for it to be set up for banana plugs and bare wire, but not the "spades" (if thats what it is).

Nov 22, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #8,834 of 24,807
Quote:

Here is the system that I bought yesterday(looks better in the flesh). It still needs a decent DAC but sounded wonderfully with the seller's Denon DVD player. The Nova Signature seemed to be more laid-back than the (1 month old) SR-404. I didn't hear them side by side and I didn't have much time because of the late arrival time, so I might be wrong on that. But it doesn't really matter for me, 'cause it seems to be on a new level compared any of the dynamics I heard.

Congrats with a magnificent combo. I agree with you that the LNS is more laid back (=neutral!) than the 404. It´s perhaps the Lambda that is closest to the 007.

cheers

Tom

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #8,835 of 24,807
Quote:

I think you likely ended up with a better system than if you had gotten a 404 with SRM-1 Mk2 Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back