The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #12,871 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys! I'm joining Stax team
biggrin.gif

Can you guys give me some advices on $200-$400 DAC for my Stax SRS-2050A?

L3000.gif

What transport will you use? PC, Mac, CD, DVD, Squeeze box, etc...? It makes a difference in what inputs a DAC has that we have to recommend, and with some the optical may be better than USB, etc...

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #12,875 of 24,807
Quote:

Oops! Sorry! I forgot to add I use computer and I prefer USB DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

If you just need USB and want it to work off a laptop without needing to plug in, in the specified price range of $200-400, from cheapest to most expensive you could consider the iBasso D4, Pico DAC-only, or CEntrance DACport. The DACport is a 24/96 USB DAC/amp but it works very well as a DAC/preamp to feed a Stax amp (at least feeding an eXStatA driving SR-Lambda, HE60 and Jade).

The D4 is very slightly brighter with less output level than the Pico DAC when using line out, but it's fairly balanced and very detailed and spacious. It has slightly less depth of stage vs the Pico, and slightly less refinement, so I tend to use the Pico more when all I need is a DAC. But for $219 the D4 is a very good deal, as it includes a nice headphone amp that runs off 9v battery or off the 5v USB without battery. But the Pico DAC "feels" a little more like I'm listening to a desktop DAC.

The DACport is slightly more refined (or smooth sounding) and warmer than the Pico DAC-only, with slightly more forward sound yet just as detailed and spacious. It's a very good portable DAC/amp for driving just about any IEM I have tried, and a few full size phones are still driven decently. If you think the Lambda are bright, this may be the DAC to use. It's not dull, and still has a shimmer in the highs, but it's not brittle or bright or sibilant, ever. However, I am told the SR-202 are not bright like other Lambdas.

I am sure there are many other good DACs in that price range that I haven't heard. If you later wanted optical or coax input, the iBasso D10 or Headroom Micro DAC would be good ones to consider.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #12,876 of 24,807
Another vote for the Pico...good neutral dac, but a touch too smooth on top.

In your price range I am liking the Amb's gamma 2. A Mister X build will be under $400. I have had mine now for about 3 weeks and really liking it. I have enough hours on it to hear the differences of the 3 digital filters. Filter 1 is most like the Pico...The biggest strength of this dac so far is its very good imaging. Better than the Pico. And it is just slightly more forward too than the Pico. I have been using a Lavry DA10 with the 717/02 mk1 combo and although not doing any critical A/B listening, I am not missing the Lavry.( using filter 3) The gamma is very musical....

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #12,877 of 24,807
double post

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #12,879 of 24,807
Wow thank you guys all, especially Tako and HeadphoneAddict.

@ N3rdling: No it's the shame for Alienware to have ridiculous 3 analog imputs (7.1), not a single digital out.

@ Monkey: The Parasound is pretty hard to find.

Guess it comes down to Pico and y2. Pico used is a lot cheaper but your recommendations on y2 make it so tempting. $350 is pretty high for me at the moment but I guess I will save up a little bit more then pull the trigger on it.

Thank you again
L3000.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #12,880 of 24,807
Err... This is a stupid question but can you guys tell me which kind of cable I need to connect my iPhone/Laptop/DAC analog output to the SRM-252 MK II?

252A-ria1.jpg

I think it's 1/8" male to 4 (2 x L+R) RCA male right? Problem is that kind of cable seems not exist
eek.gif

Or I need a stuff like that:

4136A1Y2P0L._SL500_.jpg

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #12,883 of 24,807
Quote:

Err... This is a stupid question but can you guys tell me which kind of cable I need to connect my iPhone/Laptop/DAC analog output to the SRM-252 MK II?

252A-ria1.jpg

I think it's 1/8" male to 4 (2 x L+R) RCA male right? Problem is that kind of cable seems not exist
eek.gif

Or I need a stuff like that:

4136A1Y2P0L._SL500_.jpg

For your Laptop, you'll most likely need 1/8" Stereo male to Stereo RCA's.

For the iPhone, It may depend on the model, but there are Line Out Docs I think for iPhones, I would look that direction, rather than run out the headphone jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back