The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #12,886 of 24,807
I think stax.jp can help
biggrin.gif

Thank everybody. I'm all set with the new rig: Dell Latitude E6500 - AMB Gamma-2 - Stax SRM-252A - Stax SR-202.

Head-Fi is the reason I sold my beloved top of the line Alienware. Damn!
frown.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #12,889 of 24,807
I'm near making a decision between purchasing the DNA Sonett for my T1, OR - since things have escalated so much in terms of my spending - selling all for a used O2 system. My one question is: does the O2 (MK1) do rock music well? I've heard people say it is visceral in a way that the Lambda systems aren't. But is this really true? I'm looking for decent, danceable, palpability as well as the exquisite detail they are renowned for.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers!

Dave

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #12,892 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm near making a decision between purchasing the DNA Sonett for my T1, OR - since things have escalated so much in terms of my spending - selling all for a used O2 system. My one question is: does the O2 (MK1) do rock music well? I've heard people say it is visceral in a way that the Lambda systems aren't. But is this really true? I'm looking for decent, danceable, palpability as well as the exquisite detail they are renowned for.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers!

Dave

The O2 Mk1s are better with rock than any dynamic headphones I've heard. Beyond that, I think they are just about as good as it gets. The very best IEMs or maybe the R10 may be able to challenge them, but not much else can.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #12,894 of 24,807
The YH100's with an OTL tube amp have a more extended and textured bass than the O2's with a 717.
But in the end it actually comes down a lot to personal taste about bass information... what kind of impact you're looking for - visceral or more holographic)
In every other way the O2 walks all over the yh100 as well as most any other dynamic headphone.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #12,895 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
selling all for a used O2 system.

^This is what you'll want to do IMO. But its all preference. Slightly off topic, but I personally find it fatiguing to listen to phones that have a washed out speaker like presentation, as i'm constantly straining to find where all the sounds are placed. The O2 is the least fatiguing headphone i've ever experienced, as its placement of sounds are so pinpoint, that the imaging is completely effortless. Go for the O2.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #12,896 of 24,807
My 02A has been heavily used of late on Wagner's Gotterdamerung (also my Sigma/404 and speaker system.) I am going to the premier of LA's first Gotterdamerung on Sunday. I have been waiting a long time to see this , relying on recordings instead. This will also complete my attendance at the Ring cycle having seen the other 3 operas in previous months.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #12,897 of 24,807
I am curious to find out how many of the high-end Stax owners went the electrostatic route after going as far as you could go with dynamics, i.e recabling, amplifiers, DACs etc?

And a follow-up question, do you have a different opinion of dynamics now with the launch of the HD800s and T1s? I realize that a lot of you have also owned/tried the high-end out of production dynamics, so these may not be your benchmarks for the best dynamics.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #12,899 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious to find out how many of the high-end Stax owners went the electrostatic route after going as far as you could go with dynamics, i.e recabling, amplifiers, DACs etc?

And a follow-up question, do you have a different opinion of dynamics now with the launch of the HD800s and T1s? I realize that a lot of you have also owned/tried the high-end out of production dynamics, so these may not be your benchmarks for the best dynamics.

Not quite my story but similar. I heard a mind-blowing Amcron hybrid electrostatic speaker system at an audio show, but which was totally out of my budget. I had been moving into hi-fi with various DIY amps and speakers. The local audio dealer ran an ad praising Stax headphones for the cleanness of sound, lack of room problems and the like and I thought i would give it a try. However I ended up getting some Koss stats rather than Stax (I still have 2 Koss Stats BTW). I then went to Stax SRXIII, Jecklin Floats, etc.

I have heard the H 800's with a number of systems at Canjam. It was not too impressive with conventional amps but with Headroom's BUDA(?) and a Krell transport it was close to the BHSE/007A, though still lacking the ultimate cleanness of the stats. Possibly if I lived with the Headroom set-up fora while, I might grow to like it more.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #12,900 of 24,807
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I had the SRx-MkIIs for years, and it was unfortunately that bad experience with Stax, that convinced me to try a different route this time. I understand though that the MkIIIs were a big improvement on the MkIIs.

I am looking at buying the HD800s or equivalent later this year, plus recabling, so I am going to be at about the same cost (including my amp/DAC) as a Stax system - so I hope that it will be at least comparable, but obviously somewhat different. I have also been following the planar developments, i.e HE-5, Audeze (if the new one ever comes out) as I owned Magneplanar 3as for many years, and loved that sound, so that may be a good alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back