The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #12,842 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrypticMind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again.
beerchug.gif

They remind me a lot of my late AD2000 by being upfront, but they have a little more bass to them. I've been listening more lately to my Lambda Pros, so I can't say as much as I'd like about the 5NB besides my agreement with other Head-Fiers that they are pretty similar to Grados in a sense.

Oh nice you got a pair of Lambda Pros too. I like the both of them a lot in different ways, and you could definitely stop right here with your current rig and be perfectly satisfied. I've gone a lot further than that and have gone through a ton of headphones, just to find out that I would be perfectly happy with something like your rig.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #12,843 of 24,807
Im looking at some LAMBDA PRO'S for around $255, but the seller says

[size=x-small][size=small]"Thin mesh in one ear speaker is torn, but this is cosmetic only." -

can this be remedied by replacing the earpad?

sounds like a real deal if this coud easily be fixed
[/size][/size]

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #12,844 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=x-small][size=small]"Thin mesh in one ear speaker is torn, but this is cosmetic only." -

[/size][/size]

Yes.
New pads have new foam with them. About $40.00/pair,

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #12,845 of 24,807
Quote:

[/size][/size]

Yes, just replace the earpads. They come with new mesh.
$40 (minus 5% off) at Audio Cubes II

The price looks fair as well, as long as they are in nice condition apart from the pads.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #12,846 of 24,807
I got a taste of a real soundstage last wednesday at the McCallum Theater in Palm Desert with Kiri Te Kanawa and Frederica von Stade.
It is a small theater with nice acoustics and an "intimate atmosphere".
I immediate listened to Kiri's CD's when I got back home with my Sigma Pro/eXStata. Of course is not the same, but the sound coming from my Sigma ain't to bad when compared with the real thing!
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #12,847 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a taste of a real soundstage last wednesday at the McCallum Theater in Palm Desert with Kiri Te Kanawa and Frederica von Stade.
It is a small theater with nice acoustics and an "intimate atmosphere".
I immediate listened to Kiri's CD's when I got back home with my Sigma Pro/eXStata. Of course is not the same, but the sound coming from my Sigma ain't to bad when compared with the real thing!
biggrin.gif

I did the same when I got back from a night at the Musikverein in Vienna. There's no contest. The Musikverein is what the term "The Absolute Sound" is all about.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #12,848 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Musikverein is what the term "The Absolute Sound" is all about.

Unfortunately it is a 12 hour drive for me, but the Gewandhaus in Dresden is not that bad either - and it is only 7 hours away.

Tom

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #12,849 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the same when I got back from a night at the Musikverein in Vienna. There's no contest. The Musikverein is what the term "The Absolute Sound" is all about.

I bet you are right. Would love to hear it. Actually my dream is to go to Leipzig's Bach's festival...... may be next year....or the next....
I will probably go to the Bach festival at Carmel first, or the Disney Center, which has wonderful acoustics.
Joshua Bell also sounded fantastic at Palm Desert last month...
Love to listen to live performances, but at home.... I have my Stax.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #12,850 of 24,807
Quote:

[/size][/size]

~$250 for a Lambda Pro is near the high end of what I would pay for a Lambda Pro, so I don't think it's a great deal, but it's also not a ripoff, unless they're in lousy condition.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #12,851 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pelican makes some nice cases, but they can get bulky. How much are you looking to spend?

As little as possible. I'm not looking for something that can withstand a bus dropping on it; I just need something for transporting the headphones.

Oh, and anyone know of a good place which doesn't charge a small fortune for new earpads? Mine seem to be slightly ungluing themselves along the bottom, and ebay seems to want at least $80 + shipping for a pair....

Audiocubes has them for $39.95 + Shipping. Are they good? Never purchased from them before.

Thanks.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #12,852 of 24,807
I got mine from audiocubes because it was the most (semi)reasonable price I could find that I knew would ship on time--Yama's may have a better price, but I've never had good luck getting in touch with them. You might also try kuboten.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #12,853 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just so happens that the US distributor is worse then useless at everything. They can't even be bothered to supply the dealers.

Does anyone have a list of Stax dealers in CA and WA state? Thanks.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #12,854 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and anyone know of a good place which doesn't charge a small fortune for new earpads? Mine seem to be slightly ungluing themselves along the bottom, and ebay seems to want at least $80 + shipping for a pair....

Audiocubes has them for $39.95 + Shipping. Are they good? Never purchased from them before.

Thanks.

Maybe you can ask the aussie stats distributor about the replacement pads. But then again the price on audiocubes looks pretty reasonable, and they're a similar price on ebay.

Mar 21, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #12,855 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a list of Stax dealers in CA and WA state? Thanks.

I haven't checked in a month or two, so things could have changed, but when I bought my 404LE's, there were no local dealers. I had to use the interweb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back