The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 29, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #12,316 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes. i recall that when i compared HE60/KGSS to HE60/HEV90, the biggest difference was the increase in sound stage when using the HEV90. for whatever reason, tube amps have a way of increasing the sound stage of headphones. that has been my experience more than a handful of times. so i understand what you are saying.

as for the sound stage of the HD800, it is the largest i have known. single ended or with the wrong amp, i could see the sound being somewhat diffuse, but balanced (or with the right amp) everything locks into place.

I should listen to the hd800's on your rig because when I had mine I thought of the soundstage to be utterly artificial (among other things..).

For me the 007's with the GES (the EAT Mullard's contributed a lot) have the most precise soundstage I have heard in a headphone, I cannot even think what would be with a WES. I also LOVE the airy intimacy that the 4070's give me. This is possibly because I hate large concerts and dont listen to any form of mass performance Rock, most of my music is made for small/medium size acoustically treated performance venues, chamber hall's, concert theaters, etc.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #12,317 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should listen to the hd800's on your rig because when I had mine I thought of the soundstage to be utterly artificial (among other things..).

For me the 007's with the GES (the EAT Mullard's contributed a lot) have the most precise soundstage I have heard in a headphone, I cannot even think what would be with a WES. I also LOVE the airy intimacy that the 4070's give me. This is possibly because I hate large concerts and dont listen to any form of mass performance Rock, most of my music is made for small/medium size acoustically treated performance venues, chamber hall's, concert theaters, etc.

The O2 on a GES with good tubes has a similar timbre and tone to the O2 on the WES. But the GES vs WES differences are mainly in the improved separation and size/width of soundstage, and the additional power. The WES makes my old maxed GES sound forward and narrow, and the WES max volume is more limited by comfort than by clipping.

Sure, the imaging was precise and intimate with my old GES, but the WES with any of my stats better reflects the the venue of the performance to me. Like I said, the O2 soundstage isn't bad until I compare it with the HE60, which opens up the venue even more. Previously the HE60 had a soundstage that was too big and ill defined, with little solid foundation and presence, but once I got the WES everything seemed to come together better.

I also can't believe how much better the O2 bass output is without clipping, bringing the O2 Mk1 to similar levels of bass punch and impact as many dynamic headphone. To me it seems like 50-100% more power, although I believe it is actually only 33% more based on what I have read. It seems to me (depending on the music I choose) that I can get an additional 3-5 dB volume before clipping out of the WES and O2 Mk1 than I could with the GES, and that is significant. The GES did not feel underpowered with my other stats, but it could easily run out of juice with demanding music on the O2 Mk1 or Mk2.

Because the timbre and tone are similar between the two amps, I still need to use a brighter DAC for the O2 than for the HE60 or Jade (using GE "wurltzer" 12AX7 in GES, but not sure what is in the demo WES that I bought but the set costs $700 - s-something treasures EL34 + others). So, I can use the PS Audio DLIII in 192K up-sampling with the O2 which sounds a little brighter and more open, and then switch it to 96K up-sampling for the other phones. This way I can use the Apogee mini-DAC for the eXStatA amp, which pairs better together than the PS Audio. I do want to get the Cullen mods for the PS Audio some day, and then I can try switching around sources again for best synergy.

PS: I've had a few PM with questions (about GES, WES and eXStatA) and want to clarify a couple of things. The GES is a great amp, and it pairs well with many kinds of Lambdas, SR-003, SR-5 gold, SR-80, Gamma Pro, ESP-950, Jade, HE60 and more - except for the O2 Mk1 or Mk2 where it could use more power to achieve live music volumes (not sure about HE90). The WES has that extra power and opens up the soundstage a bit more as a balanced amp vs the SE GES. But that isn't to say the GES soundstage is too small, just the balanced eXStatA soundstage was larger. I don't have a GES to compare to anymore, since I sold it after RMAF to buy the WES, so it's hard for me to answer more questions about the comparison except what I heard at RMAF, where the GES timbre and tone was superior and closer to the WES that was there, while the WES and eXStatA soundstage and power was better. The extra power doesn't seem to be required with my other stats except for the O2.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #12,318 of 24,807
I expend quite a bit of time with the balanced HD800's HeadRoom had at CanJam. I was not impressed by them, but when I listened top the SR-007 (not sure which one it was) I knew I had found the sound I craved.
By the way, f "tube amps have a way of increasing the sound stage of headphones", isn't that an added coloration that gets?
And how can equalizing be different that choosing equipment (bright or dark etc) for certain headphones?
Sorry to digress; I guess I have a strong preference for stats. The one phone I am curious about though is the HE-5.

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #12,319 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The similarity is surprising, especially when it comes to tone and midrange presentation. I think the SR-003 has some of the best mids around, and if you like it chances are you will like the O2 quite a bit as well. It's a stunningly capable headphone for the price, and it scales fairly well too.

I had the chance to use a pair of O2 MKI with a 717 and 007t on extended loan for a while, but, despite their amazing detail, they are too dark for me and I found myself listening with the LNS more often. I'm going to borrow a pair again once I've built the eXStatA and see how I feel about them then. I really would like to be happy with a pair, but a Blue Hawaii SE or WES is just out of the question unfortunately.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #12,320 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to borrow a pair again once I've built the eXStatA and see how I feel about them then. I really would like to be happy with a pair, but a Blue Hawaii SE or WES is just out of the question unfortunately.

I think you'll be impressed, I was. Not many folk have heard the combination with the Beta version of the amp (has anyone actually? I know someone who will be listening to that combo tonight, I'm sure they'll chime in.)

It would be a hoot if the eXStata drove demand for OIIs instead of Lambda Normals!
smile.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #12,321 of 24,807
Quote:

I had the chance to use a pair of O2 MKI with a 717 and 007t on extended loan for a while, but, despite their amazing detail, they are too dark for me and I found myself listening with the LNS more often. I'm going to borrow a pair again once I've built the eXStatA and see how I feel about them then. I really would like to be happy with a pair, but a Blue Hawaii SE or WES is just out of the question unfortunately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you'll be impressed, I was. Not many folk have heard the combination with the Beta version of the amp (has anyone actually? I know someone who will be listening to that combo tonight, I'm sure they'll chime in.)

It would be a hoot if the eXStata drove demand for OIIs instead of Lambda Normals!
smile.gif

I just posted my thoughts in the eXStatA thread, and things are going to get very interesting now with this new amp out there. The O2 Mk1 are not dark at all with the latest beta tube version of the eXStatA - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6271614-post1830.html

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #12,322 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just posted my thoughts in the eXStatA thread, and things are going to get very interesting now with this new amp out there. The O2 Mk1 are not dark at all with the latest beta tube version of the eXStatA - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6271614-post1830.html

Hmm, All BOLDFACE?
tongue.gif
Now I'm curious about the Sand version and said 'phones. After my (your old
biggrin.gif
) 950s get here, we should have a CO Mini-stat-only meet. I'll organize, I think it's my turn...

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #12,323 of 24,807
i had been listening to the o2 with the beta exstata since i finish building it. i can't hear any darkness at all. but i have not heard any other electrostatic amp, so i was wondering all these time what's this darkness people talking about on the o2. it's good to hear confirmation from others that there's none on the exstata.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #12,324 of 24,807
Quote:

The 717 is a bit polite, so if that's your amp for the O2 then you need a more forward source, otherwise you can end up with sound that's dark, dull, laid-back, etc. It has the power to drive the O2 fairly well but it's not voiced in the best way for it IMO. The 007t is too weak. I'm actually preferring the O2 out of an SRD-7 Pro and a tube integrated; sure you don't get the same level of resolution and bass control as the 717 but the sound is definitely more vivid and dynamic, and a bit brighter too.

I'm guessing a slightly brightish source with a tube output stage would be great with the O2/717.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A tube version? I need to look into this. I've stayed away from this thing so far on the thought that it was all solid state.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #12,325 of 24,807
The first time I tried the O2s it was on Lobstersan's rig with the Benchmark DAC1, which had a nice balance. I'd rather get a better amp for them though than use a deliberately bright source.

As for the eXStatA, I think most people want the tube version, so if you want in on the boards, you'll have to go with the SS version for now (please do!).

HeadphoneAddict: Reports of the eXStatA performing well with the O2s is one of the primary reasons I want to build one. If it's making you proverbially blow your load over the phone to people about how good it is, then it looks like I'll be well pleased with one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #12,326 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A tube version? I need to look into this. I've stayed away from this thing so far on the thought that it was all solid state.

Tube-Hybrid specifically. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6261767-post1795.html

This box is the one HA's listening to now...

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #12,327 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, All BOLDFACE?
tongue.gif
Now I'm curious about the Sand version and said 'phones. After my (your old
biggrin.gif
) 950s get here, we should have a CO Mini-stat-only meet. I'll organize, I think it's my turn...

Well, it's always easier if I host it because with my disability I am not hauling the WES anywhere except for a big meet or RMAF.
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #12,328 of 24,807
Do you guys know where I can order the replacement LEATHER earpads of the 404LE? or if this is even possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back