The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #9,001 of 24,807
I did some listening of the 2050 system and the hd600. The thing I can say about the stax is that it doesn't sound like its trying to do anything special. Its just playing music effortlessly and if I only had this and nothing else I would be absolutely happy. The hd600 however, shows more acrobatics with demo stuff that impresses me but when it comes to just playing anything out of my library, it is more picky than the stax. The stax is revealing yet doesnt force you in analytical mode. The senns although having a smooth, creamy sound tends to be more analytical than the stax IMO. I would say these cans are more on par with each other than comparing the hd600s to other dynamics Ive heard though. The hd600s are great and might impress more when played loud on a powerful amp during meets but theres something about the stax from my 1 day of having it that seems like it does my music right. Only time will tell now. I can see where people will want to go to the O2 to get the hd600 acrobatics and the stax effortlessness and transparency but to me that is the beauty of this basic stax, It doesnt make me crave for the technicalities because it makes me enjoy my music. I know I am still in the honeymoon period with these so take my comments with a grain of salt. I just wanted to share my stax experience for those that haven't heard them yet.

Edit: quick swapping these two cans reveals the mids of the stax to be a little more colored and prominent compared to the hd600 but less than my former ad2000. Its more like the grado sr60 without the harshness in mids balance. Midbass of the hd600 is a little more than the stax which gives it the impression of tightness for some music. Upper bass is more balanced with the overall sound on the stax making the music more defined in its rhythm but it is not nearly as pronounced in the upper bass as the ultra tight sounding ad2000s (from memory) which stuck out like a sore thumb with those cans. The treble of the senns are more forward than the stax but the upper mids are more laid back on the senns... Those are my findings so far
biggrin.gif
Also remember that the stax has almost no burn in yet.

Anyone with experience with the 202 specifically? Do they change dramatically with burn in?

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #9,002 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did some listening of the 2050 system and the hd600. The thing I can say about the stax is that it doesn't sound like its trying to do anything special. Its just playing music effortlessly and if I only had this and nothing else I would be absolutely happy. The hd600 however, shows more acrobatics with demo stuff that impresses me but when it comes to just playing anything out of my library, it is more picky than the stax. The stax is revealing yet doesnt force you in analytical mode. The senns although having a smooth, creamy sound tends to be more analytical than the stax IMO. I would say these cans are more on par with each other than comparing the hd600s to other dynamics Ive heard though. The hd600s are great and might impress more when played loud on a powerful amp during meets but theres something about the stax from my 1 day of having it that seems like it does my music right. Only time will tell now. I can see where people will want to go to the O2 to get the hd600 acrobatics and the stax effortlessness and transparency but to me that is the beauty of this basic stax, It doesnt make me crave for the technicalities because it makes me enjoy my music. I know I am still in the honeymoon period with these so take my comments with a grain of salt. I just wanted to share my stax experience for those that haven't heard them yet.

Edit: quick swapping these two cans reveals the mids of the stax to be a little more colored and prominent compared to the hd600 but less than my former ad2000. Its more like the grado sr60 without the harshness in mids balance. Midbass of the hd600 is a little more than the stax which gives it the impression of tightness for some music. Upper bass is more balanced with the overall sound on the stax making the music more defined in its rhythm but it is not nearly as pronounced in the upper bass as the ultra tight sounding ad2000s (from memory) which stuck out like a sore thumb with those cans. The treble of the senns are more forward than the stax but the upper mids are more laid back on the senns... Those are my findings so far
biggrin.gif
Also remember that the stax has almost no burn in yet.

Anyone with experience with the 202 specifically? Do they change dramatically with burn in?

If it is any consolation, I enjoy my balanced HD600 as much as I do my Stax.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #9,004 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As in your Stax O2 MK2?
o2smile.gif

Well, I enjoy them almost as much; although the O2 Mk2 would be technically superior the HD600 balanced with a good amp and source are very enjoyable. And, I can get more volume and pounding bass out of the HD600 if I want it - suitable more for some types of music like Infected Mushroom. The HD600 properly amped can portray a similar cohesive image as the Stax, with a slight smoothing out of the texture but not killing the transparency.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #9,006 of 24,807
Dec 6, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #9,009 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any idea if the phones in this ad are Mk1 or Mk2?

STAX SRM-717 DRIVER UNIT EARSPEAKERS HEADPHONES - eBay (item 300278377666 end time Dec-10-08 16:40:20 PST)

If this set sells under 2K it could be a deal. I doubt that I would want to bid without checking it out in person. It's about a 2 hr drive away from me.

Posting this has, of course, killed the small chance of it selling under 2k on the bay. Perhaps they'll cut you a deal in person, though.

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #9,010 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Posting this has, of course, killed the small chance of it selling under 2k on the bay. Perhaps they'll cut you a deal in person, though.

lol, this is the truth! Now it'll go for at least 2400
beerchug.gif

It is an unspoken rule on Head-Fi to speak of auctions only after they're over, unless a member is selling it
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #9,011 of 24,807
Dec 7, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #9,012 of 24,807
Could they fit Lambda normal drivers in a Sigma enclosure? Would I want too? The 404/Sigma would be cool too. So would some new model Stax. Something interesting.

I really need to bring this combo to a meet. Fat mid range. Really wails.

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #9,014 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could they fit Lambda normal drivers in a Sigma enclosure?

They sure could, and they actually did.
* SR-Sigma and SR-Lambda share the same drivers.
* SR-Sigma Pro and SR-Lambda Signature share the same drivers.

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #9,015 of 24,807
This is correct though the Sigma drivers are a bit different as they are mounted backwards compared to the Lambda variant so the connections are on the other side. It's just a matter of fixing the protection mesh to the other side of the driver during assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back