The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #8,986 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You very much hit the nail on the head with that whole coherence thing. On a good system, instruments just sound like instruments and not like a system reproducing said instruments. They pop out of thin air and feel life-like, rather than you getting the impression that there are pulsating drivers creating the illusion of a soundstage. That trait starts here, and only keeps getting more and more evident as you move up the food chain.

Yes, when I compared the Lambda and Lambda Signature to my APS re-cabled ESP950, HE60 and O2 on the GES, the Lambda started to sound more like pulsating driver next to the ear as the others presented the illusion of instruments out past the drivers more convincingly. To me my HE60 and O2 offer the best illusion in which the drivers just vanish totally.

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #8,987 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, when I compared the Lambda and Lambda Signature to my APS re-cabled ESP950, HE60 and O2 on the GES, the Lambda started to sound more like pulsating driver next to the ear as the others presented the illusion of instruments out past the drivers more convincingly. To me my HE60 and O2 offer the best illusion in which the drivers just vanish totally.

The O2 is remarkable at it, though I rather wish you'd hear the Mk1 on a good amp. The levels of transparency it can attain are... frightening.

Actually, it was hearing the HE90/HEV90/Meitner Labs DAC rig that set me on the path to destruction, so to speak. Over the last 3 years, close to 4 now, I've been trying subconsciously to replicate the same sound. I've tried to make do with lesser rigs, and the only ones I liked were ones that had similar characteristics.

The O2 though put a stop to that. It doesn't sound like the HE90, but it's intoxicating enough in its own way that it snapped me out of the subconscious desire to replicate the HE90 in every rig I try to put together. I'm happy with the O2 being the O2.

Right now I'm just listening. There will be tweaking, of course, and I need to hook this up to my PC... well, once I have a functional PC. But the bulk of the search is over... for now
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #8,988 of 24,807
Oh god...the wait is killing me, my new O2s lay lifeless in their case as i will need to wait about 6 to 7 months for an electrostatic amp.

It will be extremely hard to wait....

But my UE-11s will keep me contained as i've not heard any dynamic full size beat it except the R-10, (k1k and L3000 in some aspects but not all)

Of course after listening to the O2 and He90, those two blew everthing ive ever heard out of the atmosphere...ever

Although 100k worth of audio equipment probably did help them shine
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #8,990 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey catscratch, if you like the O2 better than the He90 on an extremely high end setup, your not the only one.

The O2 MKI is the best ive ever heard.

It's been far too long since I heard the HE90 rig to actually judge which one I like better. I'll have to compare them side by side.

This O2 rig though does have a similar effect in that it lets me get immersed completely in the music without really wanting to change anything about the sound. Of course, it's nowhere near extremely high end. It's only entry-level high-end at best. But it's good enough.

Well, sometimes I wish for more bass, but it's mostly dependent on the recording.

Dec 5, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #8,991 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah. Well dynamics don't have to be grainy. The HD600 is grainy when it's not driven all that well

But the thing about it is... the 2050 system costs as much as my gilmore lite with dps amp for my hd600 and still the stax sounds better to my ears. When you say proper, you are talking about a system far above my 2050s price

They are a steal!

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #8,992 of 24,807
took you long enough donunus...
biggrin.gif
. Few months ago I wasn't able to get your used AD2000 and blindly went straight for the SRS2050.

Still, don't throw away your HD600 just yet. You'll get over your honeymoon and come back wanting the HD600. I just heard a recabled HD600 with SAA Equinox and it makes a perfect complement to the Stax setup.

For $500ish, it's hard to get a new setup as formidable as the these entry level Staxes. Those dynamics need so much more money to get them at the Stax level.

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #8,993 of 24,807
It was a good thing you got the staxes. the ad2000 is nothing special IMO. My hd600s are equinox recabled and i do like them a lot but they seem to make me analyze the music a lot unlike these staxes. I was rocking out to some david lee roth earlier hehehe

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #8,995 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he ad2000 is nothing special IMO.

What was the system? Have you tried the AD2000 with an amp such as a Zana Deux and a good source?

I count the HE90, HE60, SR-Omega, O2Mk1, O2Mk2, L3000, W5000, Qualia and R10 among my favorites, and I also think the AD2000 is a great-sounding headphone.

The AD2000 reminds me of the Airbow SR-SC1.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #8,996 of 24,807
Well, I think I've come to the end of the road.... no more, I say... NO MORE.
I have come to the end of upgrading..... please, someone stop me.... oh yes, I forgot I have to.. I'm broke
tongue.gif
... at least I'm happy?

My journey began at the end of 2006 with a Senn PXC200 and went...
... Beyer 990
... Darkvoice 336i (Sold)
... K1K
... Pass Aleph 30 (Sold)
... Airtight ATM-300
... Lambda Nova Sig (Sold) & SRD-7/MKII (Sold)
... Lambda Pro & SRM-1/MK2
... Lambda Pro #2
... O2 MK1
... 4070
... BH

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #8,997 of 24,807
O2Mk1 and 4070 with a BH? I haven't heard a BH, but yes, I would agree that you're in the home stretch section of the end of the road.

There's always a possible source upgrade, though.

And have you heard the HE90 with Aristaeus? That is a great-sounding combo. Maybe an HE90 would be a nice complement to the O2Mk1 with your BH? It's possible you might even prefer the HE90 over the O2Mk1.

Hey, I know this is the Stax thread and they are watching, but I'm fast. In and out. OK, going into hiding now.

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #8,998 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O2Mk1 and 4070 with a BH? I haven't heard a BH, but yes, I would agree that you're in the home stretch section of the end of the road.

There's always a possible source upgrade, though.

And have you heard the HE90 with Aristaeus? That is a great-sounding combo. Maybe an HE90 would be a nice complement to the O2Mk1 with your BH? It's possible you might even prefer the HE90 over the O2Mk1.

Hey, I know this is the Stax thread and they are watching, but I'm fast. In and out. OK, going into hiding now.

Ok, I think you missed out the part that I asked people to "stop me", you are no good for my wallet... go away... just kiddin.

No haven't had the opportunity to listen to the HE90 nor the Aristaeus. They aren't readily available here in Singapore and I really don't think anyone here has got the Aristaeus... except when Anderson swings into Singapore's waters. Think he's got one on his ship but I really doubt he can get me on board. Hmm, think he may have the HE90 too.

oh I forgot, I have the HE60 too... ouch, just realised how much I've blown.

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #8,999 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey catscratch, if you like the O2 better than the He90 on an extremely high end setup, your not the only one.

The O2 MKI is the best ive ever heard.

*Raises hand*
tongue.gif
As for a temporary amp, find a used SRM-717 as it very good indeed. You can even bypass the built in volume control and use it as a power amp, fed by a pre amp.

Quote:

It's my old amp and it brutally reveals all the He90's faults and warts. The BH is DC coupled so there are no caps to hide behind.
evil_smiley.gif
He might like the HE90 though despite their flaws.

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #9,000 of 24,807
Quote:

What was the system? Have you tried the AD2000 with an amp such as a Zana Deux and a good source?

I count the HE90, HE60, SR-Omega, O2Mk1, O2Mk2, L3000, W5000, Qualia and R10 among my favorites, and I also think the AD2000 is a great-sounding headphone.

The AD2000 reminds me of the Airbow SR-SC1.

Except without the bass.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back