The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #9,016 of 24,807
Cool. The only other headphone I really want to try is the Sigma. Maybe I can find a normal Sigma soon. You send them to Stax? for modding?

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #9,018 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can send the Sigmas to Yama's (US distributor) to have them install 404 drivers and cable but it costs a fortune. As of last week it cost about 600$ to do the conversion which is too much IMO.

bah.

Ok, I'll just look for normal Sigmas then.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #9,019 of 24,807
Normal bias sigmas are my favorite rig for electronic music and Pink Floyd/Porcupine Tree...with the Dared MP5 Telefunken ECC82 pre amp tubes and the Pico. Keep it stock unless you get a broken one needing repair and a low price.

I do not listen in public tho and my wife and kids just hide a smile when they walk into my listening area. The O2/007 are much more viewer friendly.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #9,020 of 24,807
IMHO, the stock Sigma is too rolled off at both ends of the frequency spectrum. The Sigma/404 hybrid is a much better phone.

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #9,021 of 24,807
I have been borrowing plaidplatypus's Sigmas for about 3 weeks now, and they do big out of head soundstage fantastically. But, IMHO, the stock Sigma is too rolled off at both ends of the frequency spectrum. So, detail freaks and instrument placement freaks need not apply.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #9,022 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question to the more expirienced O2 users: for about one month I notice some ticking sounds. I hear this like a narrow hump in the upper mids/lower highs that make some sounds in the records to bulge out and become very noticeable. So I wonder of it's a source problem or an amp/headphone problem. Any opinions?

That's what I've written some days ago.
Now the phenomenon went deeper. I suspect it may be a burn-in issue but who knows...
I hear a conciderable increase of the highs of my O2mk2. For the past few weeks somehow the highs opened and become more shrill and noticeable, some squeaky and ticking sounds protrude above the whole sound "picture". I mean sounds like the sound of a harpsichord or the movement of the fingers over the quitar's neck, or some "parasite" sounds which are found in all acoustic records. Before this transformation the sound of the O2mk2 was smoother and more laid back without anytning annoying and distracting my listening. Now it's more k701-like
regular_smile .gif
In fact now the amount of the highs of my Omega is almost like of my k701.
I've tried different sources and have found that it's not a source issue. It's just the headphones or the amp.
I repeat - I don't know if it's a problem or a burn-in effect. But I don't like it.

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #9,023 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, the stock Sigma is too rolled off at both ends of the frequency spectrum. The Sigma/404 hybrid is a much better phone.

Yeah but I do not have the $$$$ for it yet. Might as well snatch a Sigma for now, if I can.

Ultimately, I would like to do the hybrid.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #9,024 of 24,807
...and as Tako has mentioned, they aren't particularly viewer friendly. They are more so than the Jecklin Floats, but only just.
normal_smile .gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #9,025 of 24,807
Could someone kindly give me instructions on how to properly fit new pads on my O2 MKI? Or possibly show me a link to some proper instructions?

I have no clue on how to do it, and stock pads are about 7 years old, Definately need to be replaced.

Thanks

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #9,026 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. The only other headphone I really want to try is the Sigma. Maybe I can find a normal Sigma soon. You send them to Stax? for modding?

I had a set of broken low bias Sigmas converted to 404 standard for about US$500.00. Given that my old Sigmas were unplayable that seemed like a fair price to have the work done properly with a basic warranty that it would all work properly.

Given the almost $2K price for an 007 I don't consider this price at all unreasonable. That's about the price of a stock 404 from Japan and less than the US price. I have seen a 30 year old basic low bias Sigmas sell for $400.00 recently, and Sigma pros which are not as good as the Sigma/404 mod selling for twice that. I guess you could save some bucks by doing the work yourself, but I personally wouldn't want to try.

The Sigma/404 is a far more interesting phone than the 404. It has no vices, is listenable over a wide range of types of music and amps and creates a sense of forward projection which no other phone can match except possibly the KGK1000. While it lacks some of detail and bass of the 007, the 007 doesn't have the Sigma's virtues either, although my 007A with the Spritzer spring mod ,has a similar frequency response to the Sigma/404, except in the deep bass, where the 007a is better.

I prefer the 007A to the Sigma/pro but not by very much and not all the time. Sometimes I just prefer the more natural effect of the Sigma sound and the Sigma/404 is the best of the Sigmas. Also the 007A needs a big amp such as the 717. The Sigma/pro sounds very good with an SRM1Mk2 and even a SRM3.

As a final point the Sigma/404 is very comfortable, in spite of its bulk, because there is nothing pressing on your ears.

Dec 8, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #9,027 of 24,807
If the Sigma was not functional then it would be a no brainer to have them do the work but the 90 warranty is a bit short for my liking. Now if you DIY this and it all goes well then you end up with two good headphones (assuming that the Sigma drivers are working before the mod is commenced) instead of just one and at a lower cost. This isn't an easy thing to pull off by any means though.

Dec 8, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #9,028 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I've written some days ago.
Now the phenomenon went deeper. I suspect it may be a burn-in issue but who knows...
I hear a conciderable increase of the highs of my O2mk2. For the past few weeks somehow the highs opened and become more shrill and noticeable, some squeaky and ticking sounds protrude above the whole sound "picture". I mean sounds like the sound of a harpsichord or the movement of the fingers over the quitar's neck, or some "parasite" sounds which are found in all acoustic records. Before this transformation the sound of the O2mk2 was smoother and more laid back without anytning annoying and distracting my listening. Now it's more k701-like
regular_smile .gif
In fact now the amount of the highs of my Omega is almost like of my k701.
I've tried different sources and have found that it's not a source issue. It's just the headphones or the amp.
I repeat - I don't know if it's a problem or a burn-in effect. But I don't like it.

To my ears it wasn't just a lower treble emphasis but an upper midrange emphasis as well. Maybe our terminology differs and we're talking about the same thing - but I also heard some instruments simply jump out of the mix and take center stage when there was absolutely no need for them to do so. It also messed up instrument tone, though not to the same extent as the SR-404 and similar phones.

Suffice to say, the Mk1 doesn't have these issues, though it also depends on the source. With the 840c, the highs were too forward and could become shrill. With the Opus 21 it was the other way around, and I had to roll in bright-sounding silver cables.

The Mk2 is a very fine headphone in its own right but it sounds to me like it's trying too hard. The midbass is boosted to be more impressive and the upper mids/lower treble is boosted to be more forward and engaging. But, there's no reason for that. The Mk1 was a headphone that was at the cutting edge of detail, imaging, and overall realism. Why did someone feel a need to try to make it more impressive than it already was?

I don't know about burn-in. With my pair, it was there all along from day 1. I didn't get that much of a change with burn-in - maybe a smidgeon more detail, bass control, and overall clarity, but the essential character never changed.

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #9,029 of 24,807
Hey someone answer the question about the 02 pads.

Anyway, the sigma/404 is what I want to try next. Just going to take some time to gather it all up lol.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #9,030 of 24,807
Ah, reminds me that I really need to audition an SR-Sigma (Pro).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back