The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #7,713 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have a lookie see later and find out if there's anything that looks suspicious inside. I can't imagine both elements failing equally so there's something odd going on in there.

Both elements shouldn't fail at the same time but if worst comes to worst it is easy enough to swap in new film from an ECR500 or just turn them into full blown electrostatics. They do look good enough to eat though...
redface.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #7,715 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any pics?

I'll take some tonight when I get home. In the flesh they are truly delicious, and they feel even better than they look. Mmmmmmmm, black anodized alloy. Yummy!
biggrin.gif

They're also heavy little suckers, all that metal makes them much more hefty than your average phones

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #7,719 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, just like that in fact
tongue.gif

Oddly I've seen those turn up on ebay a few times, including now, and I seem strangely drawn to them....

Heh, I was debating whether to put a low bid on them... Great minds, etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #7,724 of 24,807
I just took the 600s apart and can't see anything obviously wrong. I bypassed the wiring, tried 3 transformers, 3 amps, they just don't want to work properly. I have no idea what's wrong with them unless the diaphragms are shot. Maybe someone got carried away with the volume one time and popped them both.

The drive units are a lot different than the 500 in every except general size.

It might be worthwhile to transplant 500 units in there if any become available at a good price but from what I can hear of the drivers, they sound quite a bit sharper than the 500. It'd be a shame to dump these drivers but I don't know what the problem is. Maybe the film de-coated itself. The capsules are bolted together, though I'm reluctant to dismantle them as I don't know enough about these things not to screw them up even more.

One point of interest, they have 2 spacers in the capsules, maybe one too many? That would certainly account for the lack of efficiency and distortion if someone modified them at some time in the distant past. Of course, with no service manual it's not easy to tell if this is the way it's supposed to be. Taking a peek under the pads (Stax?) it appears something was done to them at some time.

Bleh, I just looked at the cutaway drawing of the ECR-800 and it's almost the same with the two spacers, they're just sandwiching the diaphragm so it looks like it's normal. Back to square one. *sigh*

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #7,725 of 24,807
just bumped into some old norwegian stax promo material; figured i should post it here for those interested.

Audioscan83.jpg

Audioscan83022.jpg

Audioscan83023.jpg

the text is nothing special, only the usaual "treat your family to a nice pair of stax; the sr-44 is so good it brings a tear to your eye"
redface.gif

nice knowing the price of stax back in 83 though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back