The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #7,696 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 007t and have used it with HE60 and SR-404 with different tubes. Results are very mixed, sometimes it sounds very, very good and sometimes it is disappointing. Tubes have different signatures, the GE tubes that it was equipped with when I bought it are smooth but lack dynamics and boring for me. Raytheon (Japan) were much better, very nice tubes except that they are coloured in the midrange with some orange glow. I now test Elektro-Harmonix gold pins and these are more neutral, with more intense tonality in midrange and treble and maybe also have a little more bass. Still a little too bright and I don't know if that will go down enough (they were very thrill and unpleasant during one phase of burn-in).

Common for all tubes are problems with the bass response of 007t. It is usually adequate for classical music and other acoustic music. The more punch and deep bass, the worse it gets. Some music suffer less from the reduced bass content while some music is based on a bass bottom where the lack of bass just get it sound anemic and sometimes ridiculously distorted, the meaning or message of music is misrepresented. Bass problems vary, sometimes it is only a reduction of volume but there are also problems with instability and lack of control and the lack of control also seem to spread up in higher registers and affect midrange negatively. Complex music with much low bass is most problematic. The tiny little Earmax has better bass.

That means that it is difficult to characterise the 007t in a single dimension. With some music and tubes I would not believe that I listen to the same amplifier as when I use other music and tubes, without knowing that it is the same. However, bass response is a common feature.

The obvious answer is to change amplifier. I am grateful if you can help me answer some questions. The possible alternatives are few. I don't regard Headamp as an alternative currently, Justin didn't answer my question about availability and availability is known too be low or close to non-existent. The possible current production alternatives seem to boil down to Stax 727 and Woo Audio GES, although Stax 717 should be quite possible to find used.

Questions:

How do these amplifiers compare to 007t? Would there be a satisfactory bass response on complex music with strong and deep bass content, some level of good or at least decent control, punch and impact?

HE60 is bass shy compared to Stax 404. I suspect that this is dependant on design but how much can it improve with better amplification?

I always feel enthusiastic after I have connected my electrostatic system because of its obvious strengths but I also soon become disappointed and get mixed feelings. Maybe a Blue Hawaii SE is necessary to be satisfied? It is not enough with bass punch and I also want to retain midrange richness etc. So it may be better to lay down the electrostatic project, at least for some time, and go another way?

I can also report on certain aspects of your question - the bass on a HE60 with GES vs SRM-1 Mk2 Pro vs SRD-7 Pro driven by Nuforce Icon vs HEV70 vs Single Power ES-1.

With my 3 yr old prototype GES and stock tubes (EH 12ZX7/Sylvania 6S4) the HE60 have more bass than they do with the HEV70, which has more bass than them on the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro (none of my other stats are bass-lite on the SRM-1). The HE60 bass with the GES is only slightly less than listening with the SRD-7 fed by Nuforce Icon 12wpc integrated amp. But the micro-detail ambience and depth of space on the GES make up for the 1-2db less bass, especially since it seems to be about 3db stronger than with the SRM-1 already. I have ordered NOS 12BZ7 tubes that I should have Monday to try, and maybe the bass will get even better. To my ears, the HE60 with Elephas' SP ES-1 were bass light compared to the GES yesterday at the CO meet, and the ES-1 sounded kinda like SS, which was a surprise to me. Mikhail blamed it on the Bendix tubes he was testing with it at that moment in time.

I am upgrading the GES to current production with a normal bias jack added, so I'll be able to report on the improvements vs my prototype GES in a couple of months. But for now, the HE60 are married to the Woo GES.

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #7,697 of 24,807
Hey guys,

I was thinking of selling my ESP950 and going for a pair of omega IImkI. I was wondering what the going rate on a used pair of those would be? I think it would mate well with my KGSS and denon.

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #7,698 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the same as the 007t and less than the 717. It probably would drive the HE60 wonderfully ,but the short time I spent with the GES prototype showed it simply could not drive the O2s.

Jack Wu says the GES current production is clearly better than the prototype, and I am ordering a new model with normal bias jack added too, so I'll report back when I get it.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #7,699 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
StaxEasyChairsetup04lowlevel.jpg

StaxEasyChairsetup04setupnear.jpg

How does the sound of the 404 compare to the Omega2 in your opinion? Is it really worth making the jump?

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #7,700 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the sound of the 404 compare to the Omega2 in your opinion? Is it really worth making the jump?

It´s not a question of good and better as they are quite different in character.

The 404 is a "livelier" headphone. The 007 is the "serious" headphone.

The 404 is more "in your face" with a very broad soundstage and a forward rendition af the lower treble/higher midband.

The 007 has a very balanced frequency rendition with very deep and detailed bass. The soundstage is not that broad but very 3 dimensional.
Also fantastic on micro details.

Yes - it´s worth the jump!

cheers

Tom

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #7,701 of 24,807
I seem to have won a Stax SRM-1/MK-2 on Ebay. I went to bed thinking
someone would outbid me. I guess I'll know in a week how it compares to
the SRM-313

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #7,702 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Both are very enjoyable and of different character as noted above. If left to one it would be the 007 for me.

I could have lived with only the SRM-1 Pro and SRX-001 normal if I wanted too this sounded so good to me. But I did not want too so I went for those two instead.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #7,705 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll PM you

Ah, not to worry, I found the manual. It's not the transfo box that's for sure, there's something else going on inside the phones. I just tried them with my 500 box and it's still quiet and distorting. Will investigate more....

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #7,706 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, not to worry, I found the manual. It's not the transfo box that's for sure, there's something else going on inside the phones. I just tried them with my 500 box and it's still quiet and distorting. Will investigate more....

You got the PM anyways...
redface.gif
The drivers are easy to open up so replacing the diaphragm with another model should work. Very stupid of me not to send you my spare ECR400 drivers...
mad.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #7,708 of 24,807
Thanks for your advice! I bought a SRM-717 today for a good price and that concluded the decision process for the moment. I don't know if it was the best choice out of 717, 727 and GES but it was available and cheap. This may not be the last step but I will try to listen to and evaluate the 717 before proceeding further on the amplifier side.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #7,709 of 24,807
you will really like the 717, congrats Anders.

And ktm...good one scoring the B series srm1pro!

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #7,710 of 24,807
I'm sure the wife will be less thrilled than I am!
I think that if the srm-1 works out, the srm-313 and sr-202's
are going out the door. I may have to stop there a while
and see what to do next. I am swimming in gear and need to clear
out a bunch of stuff. The ol' closet is full of audio goodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back