The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #7,726 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just bumped into some old norwegian stax promo material; figured i should post it here for those interested.

The SRD-X used to cost double the SRD-6???
confused.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #7,728 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just took the 600s apart and can't see anything obviously wrong. I bypassed the wiring, tried 3 transformers, 3 amps, they just don't want to work properly. I have no idea what's wrong with them unless the diaphragms are shot. Maybe someone got carried away with the volume one time and popped them both.

The drive units are a lot different than the 500 in every except general size.

It might be worthwhile to transplant 500 units in there if any become available at a good price but from what I can hear of the drivers, they sound quite a bit sharper than the 500. It'd be a shame to dump these drivers but I don't know what the problem is. Maybe the film de-coated itself. The capsules are bolted together, though I'm reluctant to dismantle them as I don't know enough about these things not to screw them up even more.

One point of interest, they have 2 spacers in the capsules, maybe one too many? That would certainly account for the lack of efficiency and distortion if someone modified them at some time in the distant past. Of course, with no service manual it's not easy to tell if this is the way it's supposed to be. Taking a peek under the pads (Stax?) it appears something was done to them at some time.

Bleh, I just looked at the cutaway drawing of the ECR-800 and it's almost the same with the two spacers, they're just sandwiching the diaphragm so it looks like it's normal. Back to square one. *sigh*

The driver frame is indeed different but the diaphragms appear to be the same size and shape. I have a set of ECR400 drivers here that suffered from some channel imbalance but the diaphragms should work. I don't recommend opening up the drivers unless you know what you are doing as the odds are stacked against you and they can be a pain to assemble.

The spacers are huge but the diaphragm is stuck to them and they are stock. The ECR4/500 drivers should have a rubber ring around the driver which hides the spacers but they are there.

The pads are Stax (SR-X saves the day once again) and the underside looks so rough as Sony just glued the whole assembly together and then stuck the pads on top of that.

Now that we've confirmed that there is indeed something wrong it might be best to just ship them back to me with the finished Stax woody and I'll turn them into a full blown ESP. They will need a much higher bias voltage though to compensate for that very large D/S gap but that's not a problem really. 800v+ anybody...
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #7,729 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I just need to find a ECR-800...

Another rare pair of headphones. Oh my!
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #7,730 of 24,807
I am gonna post my SRM-1 Mk2 Pro B Series for sale soon, to help fund a new model Woo GES with pro and normal bias jacks and an RCA loop out. I just thought I'd let you Stax peeps (since there is no Stax Mafia) know about it first.

I don't think I have any Stax to sell with it, since I was planning to get my Gamma Pro woodied into a pair of Smegma Pro by Smeggy. I might part with them if the price was right. I suppose I'd rather sell my Audio Technica ATH-D1000 first (optical digital upconverting 24/96 dac/amp built-in).

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #7,731 of 24,807
Quote:

I don't think I have any Stax to sell with it, since I was planning to get my Gamma Pro woodied into a pair of Smegma Pro by Smeggy. I might part with them if the price was right. I suppose I'd rather sell my Audio Technica ATH-D1000 first (optical digital upconverting 24/96 dac/amp built-in).

Smegma it! Those drivers work a fair bit better in different housings than the gamma's.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #7,732 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smegma it! Those drivers work a fair bit better in different housings than the gamma's.

Yeah, I just have to find some SR-007 ear pads at a good price first - that is the only thing keeping me from shipping to these ever since Smeggy agreed to woody them. I was supposed to ship them after the Colorado head-fi meet last weekend. I still owe Jack Wu $840 for the new GES he is building for me, so I am trying to watch my money. But, I likely will keep the Gamma Pro and let them be Smegmafied.

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #7,733 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just bumped into some old norwegian stax promo material; figured i should post it here for those interested.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...udioscan83.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...oscan83022.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...oscan83023.jpg

the text is nothing special, only the usaual "treat your family to a nice pair of stax; the sr-44 is so good it brings a tear to your eye"
redface.gif

nice knowing the price of stax back in 83 though

Norwegian? Sure looks Danish to me...
wink.gif

Great find and reading though. I especially like this statement "Kort sagt - det bedste i hovedtelefoner kommer fra Stax".

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #7,735 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Norwegian? Sure looks Danish to me...
wink.gif

Great find and reading though. I especially like this statement "Kort sagt - det bedste i hovedtelefoner kommer fra Stax".

Looks cool. Can someone translate this?
ph34r.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #7,736 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks cool. Can someone translate this?
ph34r.gif

With my bad Swedish: Shortly put - the best in headphones comes from Stax. Now that's not an accurate translation
redface.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #7,738 of 24,807
Does anyone here have Stax SRA-14S? I am was reading about it and it seems to be a very nice fit for my office system. How rare are they? How much do they cost on the used market?

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #7,739 of 24,807
I have seen the odd one for sale at $1000.00 and up. It is a preamp as well as a headphone amp with, as I recall, different pre-amp modules eg. for a moving coil cartridge and geting the modules you want can be even more difficult than finding the pre-amp. I would guess that about one or two 14S come up on E-bay each year.

I have used the SRA 12S, which is the earlier pre-amp/low bias headphone amp, as a pre-amp for many years, and think it is a good item just for that use alone so I would hope the 14S would be as good or better.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #7,740 of 24,807
I just received an AcCutex ST1000 electret. It's a transformerless electret. It sounds OK with what I have to drive it at work. The pads are shot. Half the foam has deteriorated leaving behind lumps of semi good foam. I'll take pics tonight if anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back