The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #7,681 of 24,807
slwiser, tako_tsubo - I see you are using Lavry DA10 with O2 - I used to have it as well and thought it sounded very good, but compared to better DACs it really masks a lot of midrange texture - the difference was nowhere near as obvious with Lambda family phones or dynamics. So try a better digital source if you have a chance!

Jul 27, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #7,682 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Drawer...
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n...a/IMG_0088.jpg

The desktop...for now. A little crowded, waiting for some av123 x electronics
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n...a/IMG_0123.jpg

Nice collection you got there!
biggrin.gif

With three different amplification choices as well.

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #7,683 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slwiser....Nice set up! What equipment stand are you using? I need to set up a nice seating/reading area and that dark colored wood meets WAF
wink.gif

That stand is hard to find since it is no longer made. It is an Atlantis Reference 3. They made a 5 with five shelves.

Here is one place that has a few 4s. Atlantis Reference Rack 4 at Audio Concepts Inc. for a very good price.

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #7,684 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys, cant seem to find any info on making a srm252/srm212 portable.. can anyone direct me to the right place?? thanks

Quick answer: you can run the SRM-212/252 in a car using a standard cigarette-lighter to DC plug adaptor (check polarity first!), or use a re-chargeable, sealed lead-acid 12V battery, bought specially for the purpose, or even, as I've tried successfully, buy a 10 AA cell/battery holder and fill it with 10 NiMH AAs (where 10 x 1.2V = 12V). (Again, ensure polarity of the DC plug is correct: there are a couple of us on this thread, me included, who've discovered what a pain it is if the internal fuse is blown by trying to run the SRM-212/252 with incorrect polarity!)

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #7,685 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I guess you mean it's to select between the two headphone ports? I thought you were right but in practice it just seems to make them a bit louder when set to high. The seller had mentioned that they don't go loud, and that's the truth. Distorts at moderate volumes, too bad as they seem a nice sounding pair. Oh well, I'm sure they'll make a nice YH-1 housing.

I meant on the input side of things, speaker input and then headphone input. Since it just goes a bit louder when flipping the switch then it should be switching between different output taps on the transformers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, looks like pads were vinyl one time but it peeled off now. SR-X I heard was the same way.

Wait... what??? Have you never heard a SR-X with new earpads? No wonder you think they suck...

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #7,686 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys, cant seem to find any info on making a srm252/srm212 portable.. can anyone direct me to the right place?? thanks

The amplifiers need 12 volt voltage. So it can be made portable using a suitable battery.
Just like Kevin Gilmore did in his portable Omega 2 rig some years back.
wink.gif

porta.gif

* Sony D-777
* Stax SRM-212
* Stax SR-007
* 12 volt 7 amp-hour battery

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #7,687 of 24,807
I have a 007t and have used it with HE60 and SR-404 with different tubes. Results are very mixed, sometimes it sounds very, very good and sometimes it is disappointing. Tubes have different signatures, the GE tubes that it was equipped with when I bought it are smooth but lack dynamics and boring for me. Raytheon (Japan) were much better, very nice tubes except that they are coloured in the midrange with some orange glow. I now test Elektro-Harmonix gold pins and these are more neutral, with more intense tonality in midrange and treble and maybe also have a little more bass. Still a little too bright and I don't know if that will go down enough (they were very thrill and unpleasant during one phase of burn-in).

Common for all tubes are problems with the bass response of 007t. It is usually adequate for classical music and other acoustic music. The more punch and deep bass, the worse it gets. Some music suffer less from the reduced bass content while some music is based on a bass bottom where the lack of bass just get it sound anemic and sometimes ridiculously distorted, the meaning or message of music is misrepresented. Bass problems vary, sometimes it is only a reduction of volume but there are also problems with instability and lack of control and the lack of control also seem to spread up in higher registers and affect midrange negatively. Complex music with much low bass is most problematic. The tiny little Earmax has better bass.

That means that it is difficult to characterise the 007t in a single dimension. With some music and tubes I would not believe that I listen to the same amplifier as when I use other music and tubes, without knowing that it is the same. However, bass response is a common feature.

The obvious answer is to change amplifier. I am grateful if you can help me answer some questions. The possible alternatives are few. I don't regard Headamp as an alternative currently, Justin didn't answer my question about availability and availability is known too be low or close to non-existent. The possible current production alternatives seem to boil down to Stax 727 and Woo Audio GES, although Stax 717 should be quite possible to find used.

Questions:

How do these amplifiers compare to 007t? Would there be a satisfactory bass response on complex music with strong and deep bass content, some level of good or at least decent control, punch and impact?

HE60 is bass shy compared to Stax 404. I suspect that this is dependant on design but how much can it improve with better amplification?

I always feel enthusiastic after I have connected my electrostatic system because of its obvious strengths but I also soon become disappointed and get mixed feelings. Maybe a Blue Hawaii SE is necessary to be satisfied? It is not enough with bass punch and I also want to retain midrange richness etc. So it may be better to lay down the electrostatic project, at least for some time, and go another way?

Jul 27, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #7,688 of 24,807
Anders. First I would like to say that I have no experience with the 727 or GES, so don't know how they compare to the 007t. But I am in a somewhat similar situation like you.
The 007t usually satisfy my needs. But it sometimes feels like it lack a bit power, which is backed up by numerous posts here on Head-Fi.

I have been looking for the "perfect" amplifier for a couple of year now, without finding one. Aristaeus being the closest I have found so far, but sold out before I could get my hands on one. The KGBH SE seems really interesting as well, but also sold out (not even out yet)...

So I have started my way into the speaker amplifier/energizer route, in hope that it can fulfill my needs. The RWA Signature 30.2 matched up with the SRD-7 Pro are really nice. Barely auditioned it so far. But it certainly sounds like it had my SR-007BL under stricter control than the 007t. Without sacrificing much (if any) of the magic midrange, warmth and sound stage of the 007t.
No conclusion so far, but certainly sounds like I am on to something..
biggrin.gif

Perhaps worth looking into for you as well?

Jul 27, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #7,689 of 24,807
I think the lack of bass is at least in part the characteristic of the HE60... They certainly did not approach SR-007 in terms of depth and control either out of SRM-717 or KGSS back when I had them.

Jul 27, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #7,690 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That means that it is difficult to characterise the 007t in a single dimension. With some music and tubes I would not believe that I listen to the same amplifier as when I use other music and tubes, without knowing that it is the same. However, bass response is a common feature.

The obvious answer is to change amplifier. I am grateful if you can help me answer some questions. The possible alternatives are few. I don't regard Headamp as an alternative currently, Justin didn't answer my question about availability and availability is known too be low or close to non-existent. The possible current production alternatives seem to boil down to Stax 727 and Woo Audio GES, although Stax 717 should be quite possible to find used.

Questions:

How do these amplifiers compare to 007t? Would there be a satisfactory bass response on complex music with strong and deep bass content, some level of good or at least decent control, punch and impact?

HE60 is bass shy compared to Stax 404. I suspect that this is dependant on design but how much can it improve with better amplification?

I always feel enthusiastic after I have connected my electrostatic system because of its obvious strengths but I also soon become disappointed and get mixed feelings. Maybe a Blue Hawaii SE is necessary to be satisfied? It is not enough with bass punch and I also want to retain midrange richness etc. So it may be better to lay down the electrostatic project, at least for some time, and go another way?

I have both a 717 and a 007t. I would not consider the 727, it’s bland and does not have the snap and dynamics of the 717. The 717 is a high bandwidth high output amp (much higher than the 007t). The bass is deeper and tighter than the 007t. IMO it is Stax’s best amp for the O2. In other areas it sounds similar to the 007t. If you like deep punchy bass and great dynamics you should have a O2. Another phone that plays loud and has punchy deep bass is the Koss ESP-950. They also don’t have the irritating upper midrange brightness of the 404. The Koss also works well with the 007t.

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #7,692 of 24,807
Thanks for the fast replies! I made a salad for lunch and then many replies had already appeared. The Stax community is great!

Happily, I got my HE60 for very decent money before the hype took over. The replays seem to confirm my suspicion that bass is inherently limited, and then I can't really regard it as a top-tier headphone for all-round use but is excellent for string quartets etc. ESP-950 seems interesting but I have no reluctance to go to O2 when I have something to drive it properly. I listen much to acoustic music but also to much heavier things and then need good bass.

How is the output power of a GES compared to 007t and 717 from a technical point of view?

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #7,693 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the output power of a GES compared to 007t and 717 from a technical point of view?

About the same as the 007t and less than the 717. It probably would drive the HE60 wonderfully ,but the short time I spent with the GES prototype showed it simply could not drive the O2s.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #7,694 of 24,807
According to the stax wiki, the 007t outputs 340v while the 717 outputs 450v. The srm1/mk2 outputs 370v, while the srmT1 does only 300v. The ultimate and rare SRM T2 a whooping 630v....those were the days, if we only knew back in 1994.

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #7,695 of 24,807
Hi, Anders,

Just how you have described it, I also feel to the 007t: it works unambiguously too feebly with modern music; not only the bass looks uncontrolled and sloppy, under heavy attack it also loses the complete overview and everything seems to collapse to a pulp. As a countermove the magic voices and acoustic instruments and the great space illumination compensate - with the next disc.

I've helped myself from the dilemma with a smaller transistor amplifier in parallel. Now SRM-323 does its service with pop, rock, electronica and movies. It perceptibly has more pressure and keeps always "a stiff upper lip", however, sounds also harder and rougher, and plays less "coherently", almost quite "arbitrarily" and takes from the omega, unfortunately, a lot from its fascination and musicality.

A better alternative or even a substitute with 007t should be the big transistor amp 727 which was trimmed, however, for some critics probably already too much on "tubey" and has lost towards its predecessor 717 a lot in punch and dynamics how quite several times was mentioned here.

Whoops, my first post!
rolleyes.gif
And even into perfect English!
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back