The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #6,616 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by yale.reinstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I really don't know what I need. I have my 2050A on the way and I've been calling around for power supplies.

Here's an excellent supply for the SRM-252 which I highly recommend:

KingRex PSU

Note that you MUST reverse the polarity by cutting and resplicing the supplied cable or by making a new cable.

May 9, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #6,617 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by yale.reinstein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I really don't know what I need. I have my 2050A on the way and I've been calling around for power supplies.

The only way I can get a reversed polarity supply without moding one myself would be to get a regulated universal adapter, 1A model for around ~15 dollars.

Isn't regulated what I don't want?

Edit: I've called over 5 places now, I think I need to find something to order online, it just seems like a very rare power supply, and it would be even rarer if it was inverted.

If you search back in this thread, you'll find that I got myself a beefier power supply (a bench PS) for my 2020 (forerunner of the 2050) and it did not sound any better than the (unregulated) wallwart that came with my SRM-212.

I think that, as long as you spend at least $20 on a decent (regulated) wallwart PS, that has at least 1A output at 12V, you'll be fine (and these all come with reversible power pins, or a reversible polarity switch, so no cutting and re-terminating the plug is necessary).

May 9, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #6,618 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick question from someone looking to get into the Stax game: What should i expect to pay for used Lamda Pros + SRM mk2? Is this a good jumping in point?

Bidding on one at EBAY???

May 10, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #6,619 of 24,807
Just pay close attention to the polarity. Buy a little multimeter, learn how to use it to read positive vs. negative DC voltage, and triple check your wiring. PS doesn't make all that much diff, as the 2050 system draws very little current, even on peaks (which is when you turn it on, actually.) I probably wouldn't spend over 30 bucks or so for a power supply, and, really, you could just cut the wires on the included Stax PS and cross them. CHECK WITH METER TO MAKE SURE YOU GOT IT RIGHT!

Love my 2020 system...

May 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #6,620 of 24,807
Just bought a pair of O2A.
smily_headphones1.gif
Will be another one of those running it through SRD-7mk2 and a Panasonic digital amp. Amazing value for running both my speakers and Stax.

Elephas and spritzer, are there any new listening impressions regarding the Mk1 vs Mk2? I hope I didn't make a bad choice in choosing the Mk2/A versions.

May 10, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #6,622 of 24,807
BTW, held a mini meet with my friend few weeks back. The Stax Gamma Pro trashed the Sennheiser HD600 in everything. Bass is surprisingly deeper and tighter than the Sennheiser. So much for electrostatics not being able to produce DEEP bass.

May 10, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #6,623 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by evil-zen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought a pair of O2A.
smily_headphones1.gif
Will be another one of those running it through SRD-7mk2 and a Panasonic digital amp.

Congratulations!
smily_headphones1.gif

The number of SR-007A and MK2 units around here seems to rise rapidly these days.

May 10, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #6,624 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my goodness. Everyone has an O2A now. I'm feeling left out. You wait and see...
tongue.gif

Perhaps not.

If the rumours are correct Stax are possibly working on a new high end phone, so it might be better to wait.
Are the MKII's really that much of an improvement over the Omega II?

I think the O2A's are really just a very small incremental improvement to what is quite an old, but excellent design.

May 10, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #6,625 of 24,807
Quote:

Oh my goodness. Everyone has an O2A now. I'm feeling left out. You wait and see...
tongue.gif

Just remember to get a set of the Mk1 pads so that you can get the best sound out of the headphones.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by complin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps not.

If the rumours are correct Stax are possibly working on a new high end phone, so it might be better to wait.
Are the MKII's really that much of an improvement over the Omega II?

I think the O2A's are really just a very small incremental improvement to what is quite an old, but excellent design.

Stax will of course be R&D on new products but I want to see these rumours for myself tbh. Waiting for a new product can be silly. If someone looked at the gap between the Omega 1 and the Omega 2 and concluded the Omega 3 would be coming soon, he'd still have been waiting a few years before the O2Mk2 arrived.

The O2 is selling well and Stax is making money, they're in no rush to replace their TOTL model, same as Sennheiser with the HD650.

May 10, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #6,626 of 24,807
Quote:

tongue.gif

+1 . . . and it's already been a bad year for my wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #6,627 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just remember to get a set of the Mk1 pads so that you can get the best sound out of the headphones.
biggrin.gif

Stax will of course be R&D on new products but I want to see these rumours for myself tbh. Waiting for a new product can be silly. If someone looked at the gap between the Omega 1 and the Omega 2 and concluded the Omega 3 would be coming soon, he'd still have been waiting a few years before the O2Mk2 arrived.

The O2 is selling well and Stax is making money, they're in no rush to replace their TOTL model, same as Sennheiser with the HD650.

Just quoting what one headfier said he was told by the Stax rep at CanJam08. Its in the thread. My just be wishfull thinking!
However the OMKII really is not such a great advance on what we have, its just a kicker in the product lifecycle. The O2 was and still is a great headphone, perhaps the greatest there is period in electrostatics.
One also needs to think where the likes of Stax, Sennheiser, AKG et alt will be putting their R&D $'s. Two channel hi-fi has been on the decline for some years and with the rise of the ipod, MP3, home theatre are we going to see the larger manufactures developing high end flag ship headphones in the future?

May 10, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #6,628 of 24,807
I'd like to see Stax devise another portable system, the SR-001 is a lovely headphone but they need to come up with a closed back version for better isolation. Even if that means sacrificing the (more than slightly tricky) IEM fit option. The headband is tiny anyway.

I'm not sure how much smaller you could make a portable electrostatic amp though without using a built in Li-ion battery. Size is in great part determined by the need to fit a small transformer in there somewhere so its never going to be super thin. And Apple isn't ever going to stick an SR-001 socket on the iPod.

This makes me miss my SR-001. I'm finding myself looking at the Orthodome in disappointment.

Whats the difference in the Mk2 version anyway, I've never even seen a Mk1.

May 10, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #6,629 of 24,807
They also need to refine the stupid ear-drill design. I seem to remember the Mk1 being the version without the headband. Goodness knows how anyone managed to get them to stay put without much pain.

May 10, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #6,630 of 24,807
I could get them to sit IEM style fine and comfortably once I worked out the particular "little twist" technique. I did much prefer to wear them with the headband though. On the MK.3 I'd like to see the input socket on the top instead of the side. Theres room if you move or remove the power and low battery LEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back