The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #6,586 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After letting them run overnight, there's no more problem. I could here them from 10 feet away. I haven't had time to listen more that to see that they don't sound muffled at all. I'll listen some more this evening. I'll also take apart the headphone and take pictures.

There's no problem at all with the phone/speaker switch. Cuts on and off with no static. I think these were stored well. There's no dust and the ear pads are still soft and supple with not flaking

Since this is the first time I've taken apart an adapter, I'm not sure what the bias supply is. Which parts do I need to take a picture of. There are 3 boards. Two are identical with a couple of caps, some big, grey resistors, some small resistors, small transformers, and some other small parts that I'm not sure of. The 3rd board has some small caps and resistors and maybe some more, it's so close to the transformers that it's hard to see what's on it. I assume the boards just slide out. I tried gently tugging them and they didn't budge, but I don't see any screws holding them in. It looks like they wedged in slots in the plastic.

As I suspected, electrolytic caps in the transformer box needed time to come to life. FV encountered exactly the same problem. I bet the phones as well need time to fully charge and come back into working regime. I remember reading about SR-007 that exhibited similar problems after being stored for some time.

May 7, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #6,587 of 24,807
Quote:

Since this is the first time I've taken apart an adapter, I'm not sure what the bias supply is. Which parts do I need to take a picture of. There are 3 boards. Two are identical with a couple of caps, some big, grey resistors, some small resistors, small transformers, and some other small parts that I'm not sure of. The 3rd board has some small caps and resistors and maybe some more, it's so close to the transformers that it's hard to see what's on it. I assume the boards just slide out. I tried gently tugging them and they didn't budge, but I don't see any screws holding them in. It looks like they wedged in slots in the plastic.

The bias supplies are on the two boards which contain the mini transformers. They are most likely screwed in somewhere. I'm guessing that the bias supplies are fed off the audio transformer secondaries and then stepped up again to to have a stable but limited with double zeners, back to back.

May 7, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #6,588 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bias supplies are on the two boards which contain the mini transformers. They are most likely screwed in somewhere. I'm guessing that the bias supplies are fed off the audio transformer secondaries and then stepped up again to to have a stable but limited with double zeners, back to back.

After doing a web search for pics of diodes, the parts I didn't know on the 2 boards are diodes. I'll see If I can get a pic this evening.

What determines the bias voltage, the small transformers?

I was able to see the values on the caps and large resistors.

4.7 micro Farads for the 2 caps per board
4 ohms for the 2 smaller grey resistors
50 ohms for the 1 large grey resistor

I'll have to look up how to read the bands on the smaller resistors if that's important.

May 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #6,589 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear this HE90 "horrible imaging" comment from you and a few other people on Russian boards. How does imaging on HE90 compares to Lambda and Sigma series?

I don't think "horrible imaging" is an accurate description of the HE90. Its imaging isn't as ultra-precise as the O2Mk1's or O2Mk2's, but it also has a larger headstage and soundstage to work with.

An analogy might be watching a video on a 42" flat-screen vs. a 24" desktop monitor. The picture on the 24" monitor might seem a bit sharper and more detailed because you're only sitting three feet away. But you don't have the benefit of the more expansive experience of watching the 42" screen from 12-15 feet away.

Ultimately for me, every quality (imaging, soundstage, details, bass impact, etc.) is important. Most important is how the headphone sounds as a whole. For example, I value details very highly, more than bass impact or soundstage size. But the Qualia 010, one of the most detailed headphones I've heard and arguably the most detailed one of all, isn't my favorite. It isn't even in the "Top 5."
tongue.gif

I'm hopeful another amp might increase the headstage and soundstage of the O2Mk1 and O2Mk2. Even a tiny little bit will make a big difference for me. At this point, I'm finding tiny incremental improvements to be difficult to achieve.

May 7, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #6,590 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think "horrible imaging" is an accurate description of the HE90. Its imaging isn't as ultra-precise as the O2Mk1's or O2Mk2's, but it also has a larger headstage and soundstage to work with.

An analogy might be watching a video on a 42" flat-screen vs. a 20" desktop monitor. The picture on the 20" monitor might seem a bit sharper and more detailed because you're only sitting three feet away. But you don't have the benefit of the more expansive experience of watching the 42" screen from 12 feet away.

Ultimately for me, every quality (imaging, soundstage, details, bass impact, etc.) is important. Most important is how the headphone sounds as a whole. For example, I value details very highly, more than bass impact or soundstage size. But the Qualia 010, one of the most detailed headphones I've heard and arguably the most detailed one of all, isn't my favorite. It isn't even in the "Top 5."
tongue.gif

I'm hopeful another amp might increase the headstage and soundstage of the O2Mk1 and O2Mk2. Even a tiny little bit will make a big difference for me. At this point, I'm finding tiny incremental improvements to be difficult to achieve.

Thanks for you impressions. How does imaging on HE90 compares to Lambda and Sigma series?

May 7, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #6,591 of 24,807
Quote:

After doing a web search for pics of diodes, the parts I didn't know on the 2 boards are diodes. I'll see If I can get a pic this evening.

What determines the bias voltage, the small transformers?

I was able to see the values on the caps and large resistors.

4.7 micro Farads for the 2 caps per board
4 ohms for the 2 smaller grey resistors
50 ohms for the 1 large grey resistor

I'll have to look up how to read the bands on the smaller resistors if that's important.

Diodes should be similar to resistors in shape and size but all black and with a white band on them for polarity.

The large resistors are to limit the current input so they should burn up before the transformers. The small resistors tell us more as some of them are the ballast resistors for the diaphragms which control the amount of charge which is present on the diaphragms.

The small transformers step up the voltage from the audio transformers which is then fed to, given the number of small caps, a half way rectified voltage doubler.

Quote:

An analogy might be watching a video on a 42" flat-screen vs. a 24" desktop monitor. The picture on the 24" monitor might seem a bit sharper and more detailed because you're only sitting three feet away. But you don't have the benefit of the more expansive experience of watching the 42" screen from 12-15 feet away.

tongue.gif

I could live with the large soundstage (I do like the Sigmas) but the lack of focus is what seals the deal for me. In the end this will always be a personal choice and there are other issues that made me almost never use them except out of guilt.

The soundstage will grow with the BH but don't expect any miracles. You should also experiment with some IC's, preferably silver, so see if the sound can't open up a bit.

Btw. Have you tried swapping the input cables on the Aristaeus while using the HE90? Put on some close miked pop recored and hear how the soundstage is altered.

May 7, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #6,592 of 24,807
OK, I'll do the RCA left right swap on the Aristaeus and see how the HE90 reacts.

Quote:

Thanks for you impressions. How does imaging on HE90 compares to Lambda and Sigma series?

Whoa, that was fast! I edited to make it a 24" monitor (widescreen is better) and you've already posted.

I've never heard the Sigma. My Lambda Pro was modifed by Headphile with a wood housing, so I can't say I've heard a stock Lambda Pro either.

The HE90's imaging is not so bad to me. I would rank it below the 4070 and SR-Omega, and about the same as the SR-SC1 and Headphile Lambda Pro.

The HE90's best quality to me is its ease of presentation. Unlike the 4070, which makes me feel like I'm "monitoring" sound, the HE90 makes me feel like I'm listening to music.

More than the selection of tubes in the Aristaeus, the source can make a large difference in imaging precision, as well as other factors. Adding the Esoteric G-03X made a significant improvement in this area.

May 7, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #6,593 of 24,807
Quote:

My Lambda Pro was modifed by Headphile with a wood housing, so I can't say I've heard a stock Lambda Pro either.

Wow! That sounds interesting. How does it sound? Not that I would ever do that to my almost pristine Lambda Pros.
tongue.gif

May 7, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #6,594 of 24,807
I listened to a couple of tracks with the left and right RCA inputs swapped on the Aristaeus with the HE90. It seemed to me there was deterioration in imaging, kind of like it was out of phase. It also didn't sound as clear. A yucky experience.

I think the Headphile Lambda Pro sounds good, but it's actually my least favorite of all the electrostats, and I prefer several dynamics more (please don't hurt me, Stax Mafia, they're good dynamics: Qualia, R10 etc.)

I would rank it below the Airbow SR-SC1. I don't have an SR-404, but based on my unreliable audio memory I would also rank the Headphile Lambda Pro below the SR-404.

SR-LambdaHeadphile.jpg

May 7, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #6,595 of 24,807
Below is the amp I was originally planning to use with my vision of an OII MKII, until CanJam '08 happened and I heard the Blue Hawaii SE.
tongue.gif
I figured I would at least photograph it since I didn't get to hear it.
frown.gif

kgss_x1.jpg

(click for larger versions)

May 7, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #6,597 of 24,807
Quote:

I have a chance to get Stax ELS-F81X speakers for a good price. Any info on these? Anyone heard them?

There fantastic. Some people call them the "Quad ESL-57 of Japan". They won't play loud or have deep bass. Make sure the panels are not arced.

May 7, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #6,598 of 24,807
More pics of the Playback 70

Here's the driver. The cup is filled with open cell foam, so effectively no damping
IMG_1819.jpg

Here's a pic of the board that there are 2 of. The caps are 4.7 micro F. The small resistor is 3 ohms, if I'm reading it right. BTW, the boards were just shoved snuggly in to slots
IMG_1822.jpg

Here's the single board. I'm not sure what color the first band is in the middle resistor
IMG_1823.jpg

May 7, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #6,599 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There fantastic. Some people call them the "Quad ESL-57 of Japan". They won't play loud or have deep bass. Make sure the panels are not arced.

I will take them home for a listen before buying. Now I need to make a trip to New England, oh boy.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #6,600 of 24,807
Just a quick question from someone looking to get into the Stax game: What should i expect to pay for used Lamda Pros + SRM mk2? Is this a good jumping in point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back