The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #6,256 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where do people go to buy Stax equipment?

I'm lucky enough to have a stax dealer in Dallas, Texas.
And they have a good demo setup of both Grado and Stax!

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #6,257 of 24,807
Quote:

Do people who buy Stax headphones always buy Stax amplifier to go with it? Can other SS amp or tube amp work with STax phones? I do notice the uncommon connector on the Stax cable.

What is the difference between 007 and 007A?

A. Yes, there are very good small-maker and DIY amps, both SS and tube, that can be used wiith Stax headphones.

B. You do realize, though, that electrostatic headphones work on an entirely different principle from dynamics and require either an adapter or a dedicated amp to work at all? A normal headphone amp will be useless with electrostats.

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #6,258 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
B. You do realize, though, that electrostatic headphones work on an entirely different principle from dynamics and require either an adapter or a dedicated amp to work at all? A normal headphone amp will be useless with electrostats.

Some of the really serious, balls-to-the-wall diy headphone amps can be built with enough gain and a big enough power supply to *probably drive a transformer box to satisfying levels.

SRD-7 has a max continuous power handling of 7 watts iirc. 11 peak. Comfortable listening is probably down around 4 to 5 watts.

That T-Amp does what, 10?

An M^3 with a 36v 3A power supply and expanded power rail capacitance (and more gain than would usually be used for headphones - just different resistor selection) can drive 6 watts into 8 ohms and sound quite nice, from all reports, and the M^3 is just *middlin in power as overkill headphone amps go.

Not that I've tried the M^3 SRD-7 combo yet, but an M3 configured just to drive inefficient headphones drove my ESP6 just fine.

Of course, if you're not building your own, at the cost of a high-end headphone amp you could just buy a stax amp.

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #6,259 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are the current in-production Stax models:
* SR-007A (Japan), SR-007MK2 (export)
* SR-404
* SR-303
* SR-202 (only sold as part of the SRS-2050II or SRS-3010 system)
* SR-003
* S-001MK2 (only sold as part of the SR-001MK2 system)

Thanks for the info. Could you tell me if there is a difference between the 007A (Japan) and the 007MKII (Export) models? It sseems like there is a big difference in price. The audio cube shows a price for the 007A system of $3499.00 and the 007MK2 system at Moon Audio is $4220.00.

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #6,260 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the really serious, balls-to-the-wall diy headphone amps can be built with enough gain and a big enough power supply to *probably drive a transformer box to satisfying levels.

SRD-7 has a max continuous power handling of 7 watts iirc. 11 peak. Comfortable listening is probably down around 4 to 5 watts.

That T-Amp does what, 10?

An M^3 with a 36v 3A power supply and expanded power rail capacitance (and more gain than would usually be used for headphones - just different resistor selection) can drive 6 watts into 8 ohms and sound quite nice, from all reports, and the M^3 is just *middlin in power as overkill headphone amps go.

Not that I've tried the M^3 SRD-7 combo yet, but an M3 configured just to drive inefficient headphones drove my ESP6 just fine.

Of course, if you're not building your own, at the cost of a high-end headphone amp you could just buy a stax amp.

I am doing a review on the Travagans home amplifiers, and wanted to throw in some preliminary data, since it seems relevant right here, right now.

I am able to drive an SRD-7 transformer and SR-5 Gold Edition via a Travagans Green amplifier, which is a headphone amp with banana jacks on the back for driving optional speakers. With music playing it took a few minutes to charge up the system, and probably 15-30 minutes for full volume but R>L, and 45-60 minutes of warmup for the channel imbalance to go away. After that, the headphones sounded nice. I am guessing the amp is pushing 3-5 watts tops. We typically use the SRD-5 with 117v AC for low power amps, instead of the self biasing, for this very reason.

The "Green" amp is USB audio input only, with 1/8" out or banana jacks out, plus an optical out and coax out from the internal S/PDIF converter. The 1/8" out can also drive my bedside STAX SRM-1 Mk2 Pro as a preamp, and the optical out can go to my main rig in the bedroom to feed my Apogee mini-DAC. It can run on USB only for power, but it does need the 24v power brick if you are driving speakers. The "Red" amp is the analog input version, thus no USB or S/PDIF converter, but still drives headphones or speakers.

Stay tuned for my review to be posted sometime next week.

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #6,261 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. Exactly what I wanted to know.

You're welcome!
Great to see our knowledge come to help...

Quote:

Do people who buy Stax headphones always buy Stax amplifier to go with it?

Thats mixed.
Some buy a complete Stax system, while others use Stax 'phones with amplifiers from other vendors.

Quote:

Can other SS amp or tube amp work with STax phones? I do notice the uncommon connector on the Stax cable.

Sure!
There are lots of other amplifiers out there with a Stax connector, both solid state and tube. You can even use speaker amplifiers, through an energizer (like the SRD-7).

Quote:

What is the difference between 007 and 007A?

You talk about the SR-007 and SR-007A, right?
The SR-007 were introduced in 1998, and have brown leather and champagne chassis. It was replaced in 2007 by the SR-007A (and the SR-007MK2 for export), and have black leather and silver chassis.

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Could you tell me if there is a difference between the 007A (Japan) and the 007MKII (Export) models? It sseems like there is a big difference in price. The audio cube shows a price for the 007A system of $3499.00 and the 007MK2 system at Moon Audio is $4220.00.

Afaik know the only difference are the chassis color and the model name.
SR-007MK2 = black leather and black chassis.
SR-007A = black leather and silver chassis.

Sound vise they should be identical.

NB! When you talk about systems there are another difference to be aware of. The amplifiers sold in Japan are set up for 100volt, and you need a step down converter to use it on other voltages.

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #6,262 of 24,807
After 2 years with dynamic rig (at the end was Zana Deux + DT880 600 Ohm, K340) I took my chance and changed to electrostatic. My equipment is Sony CDP 777es, SRM-T1S, SR-Omega, Sigma Pro and backup SRD-7 mkII.
What can I say? Sigma Pro and DT880 with ZD was only about preference and on the same level of joy.
But SR-Omega stopped my searching for absolute sound in headphone audio equipment.

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #6,264 of 24,807
Maybe in future. I am satisfied now and my wallet will not help me. Everytime it is possible to fall in upgraditis.

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #6,265 of 24,807
Quote:

After 2 years with dynamic rig (at the end was Zana Deux + DT880 600 Ohm, K340) I took my chance and changed to electrostatic. My equipment is Sony CDP 777es, SRM-T1S, SR-Omega, Sigma Pro and backup SRD-7 mkII.
What can I say? Sigma Pro and DT880 with ZD was only about preference and on the same level of joy.
But SR-Omega stopped my searching for absolute sound in headphone audio equipment.

sighh, those are beautifull...

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #6,266 of 24,807
Quote:

You talk about the SR-007 and SR-007A, right?
The SR-007 were introduced in 1998, and have brown leather and champagne chassis. It was replaced in 2007 by the SR-007A (and the SR-007MK2 for export), and have black leather and silver chassis.

Afaik know the only difference are the chassis color and the model name.
SR-007MK2 = black leather and black chassis.
SR-007A = black leather and silver chassis.

Sound vise they should be identical.

NB! When you talk about systems there are another difference to be aware of. The amplifiers sold in Japan are set up for 100volt, and you need a step down converter to use it on other voltages.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #6,268 of 24,807
Quote:

These are the current in-production Stax models:
* SR-007A (Japan), SR-007MK2 (export)
* SR-404
* SR-303
* SR-202 (only sold as part of the SRS-2050II or SRS-3010 system)
* SR-003
* S-001MK2 (only sold as part of the SR-001MK2 system)

Krmathis, thanks for all your help. Could you shed light on one more area if it is at all possible to quantify, how much difference in SQ are there from the top model (007MKII) to the next one down which I believe is 4070 and 404, 303 202 and so on? This may have covered in the previous pages in all 600+pages but I am sure you would understand if I just decide to skip the reading.Many thanks.
wink.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #6,270 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...1/IMG_2317.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...1/IMG_2319.jpg

The SR-Omega sure is beautiful!
smily_headphones1.gif

I am very envious to those who own a pair, and hope I can score one myself some day. For a decent amount of money that is...

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

The pleasure is on my side.

Quote:

Krmathis, thanks for all your help. Could you shed light on one more area if it is at all possible to quantify, how much difference in SQ are there from the top model (007MKII) to the next one down which I believe is 4070 and 404, 303 202 and so on? This may have covered in the previous pages in all 600+pages but I am sure you would understand if I just decide to skip the reading.Many thanks.
wink.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Something like this I would say.
* SR-007 (not heard the A or MK2)
* SR-404
* SR-303
* SR-202

The SR-007 stand out clearly ahead of rest, with the 4070 not too far behind. While the Lambda's are quite close to each other..
I recommend you give them a try on your own.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back