Apr 20, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #6,271 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pro drivers get new houses
biggrin.gif

dsc7258ix5.jpg

OMG!! Those are beautiful.
biggrin.gif

You need some black pads, and beautiful headband to match it though. Now I am excited.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #6,272 of 24,807
im trying to figure some of this stax stuff out -

I've got laptop audio out going into a Marantz 2270 ss amp (it's a vintage speaker amp).

How would a stax setup work here? How about if I could get my hands on some SR-Lambdas and an SRD-X amp?

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #6,273 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG!! Those are beautiful.
biggrin.gif

You need some black pads, and beautiful headband to match it though. Now I am excited.

Thanks Kai
biggrin.gif

I got all excited myself when I saw this nice piece of wood in the shop today. I bought some wool felt and wire bin yesterday so I went to work this evening and a bit of hack 'n' slash later I had these.

Sadly I can't afford black O2 pads and headband just yet so it'll be a bodge up until I can. Looks and sounds pretty good for $30 in materials
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #6,274 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've got laptop audio out going into a Marantz 2270 ss amp (it's a vintage speaker amp).

How would a stax setup work here? How about if I could get my hands on some SR-Lambdas and an SRD-X amp?

That would work. You can also get a Lambda with SRD-7 and plug them into the speaker outlets. There's a butload of them on ebay right now.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #6,275 of 24,807
Quote:

That would work. You can also get a Lambda with SRD-7 and plug them into the speaker outlets. There's a butload of them on ebay right now.

What's the difference between all these amps? Like the SRD-X and the SRD-#s?

I see the lists on ebay - they seem to be (at least before the auction gets close to ending) pretty cheap! are all SR-Lambda's the same? Can anyone break down the amps for me?

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #6,276 of 24,807
The SRD-X is a portable amp that can run off a wall wart or batteries and plugs into a headphone socket.

The SRD-# are transformers, not amps. They convert amplifier speaker output to the correct signal for the electrostats.

Transformers:
SRD-6 is normal bias
SRD-7 SB is normal bias
SRD-7 MkII is normal and Pro bias
SRD-7 Pro is Pro bias.

Stax home amps are SRM-??????

The transformers are pretty good with the SR-Lambda and is what I use.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #6,277 of 24,807
Quote:

Thanks Kai
biggrin.gif

I got all excited myself when I saw this nice piece of wood in the shop today. I bought some wool felt and wire bin yesterday so I went to work this evening and a bit of hack 'n' slash later I had these.

Sadly I can't afford black O2 pads and headband just yet so it'll be a bodge up until I can. Looks and sounds pretty good for $30 in materials
wink.gif

I'll trade you some black O2 pads for a K1000.

Maybe thats a bit lopsided actually. I'll throw in the new Phonodome DR-SFI too.

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #6,279 of 24,807
Quote:

Thanks Kai
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

So how about sending me a set so I can use it with my SR-Ω headband? I'll send you some black SR-Ω earpads as well...
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #6,282 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can how they are fitted to the baffle inside the earpads and I guess that would be attached to the earcup.

So they will just stay in place because they are fitted tightly to the baffle?

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #6,284 of 24,807
Quote:

The SRD-X is a portable amp that can run off a wall wart or batteries and plugs into a headphone socket.

The SRD-# are transformers, not amps. They convert amplifier speaker output to the correct signal for the electrostats.

Transformers:
SRD-6 is normal bias
SRD-7 SB is normal bias
SRD-7 MkII is normal and Pro bias
SRD-7 Pro is Pro bias.

Stax home amps are SRM-??????

The transformers are pretty good with the SR-Lambda and is what I use.

Thanks for the explanation. It raises another question though - what is the bias?

And what is the sound quality between the portable amps like the SRD-X and the transformers?

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #6,285 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since you have the Marantz, I'd forget the SRD-X and go for an SRD-6 or 7 (sb or plain). Should be cheaper and will give you a better sound than the SRD-X, lowest of all Stax amps.

However, I would STRONGLY advise that you get a dac or external soundcard in between your laptop and the 2270. Even a $100 option will be leagues ahead of your onboard sound, and you'll be able to hear the difference instantly.

Quote:

There's a butload of them on ebay right now.

Holy moly, you aren't kidding. I can't remember the last time I saw so many Lambdas on ebay at once. I'd be salivating wildly if I hadn't already just taken care of my own Lambda deficit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back