The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #4,892 of 24,807
ariel, no, but there have been numerous upgrades available on Justin's KGSS for a long time, such as different volume controls, bias always on circuit, and Blackgate Capacitors in the DC power supply.

Some people think the latter make a big difference, but Justin himself in a thread awhile ago discounted that.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #4,893 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any comparisons of the SR-X/MK3 with Lambda's or the current offerings?

my understanding is that the current offerings are more neutral, more airy with more headstage compared to the lambda, though maybe a little strong upper midrange. which side does the sr-x land on? i do care about bass extension.

if i can score an amplifier will those vintage phones work with it? i don't want to hook it up to a speaker amplifier..

Several points of difference. Most SRX3's are low bias, which means less dynamics and oomph than high bias systems. Stax stopped making low bias systems a decade or more back. There are high bias SRX3's but they are as scarce as the proverbial hen's teeth.

The SRX3's also lack bass and tend to be somewhat thin sounding.

Now, on the good side they have an amazing ability to extract details in the sound regions in which they work well, i.e. most of the sonic spectrum except the bass. This is probably why they were noted as monitor phones for many years. Some people suggest they can sound much better with different earpads and have even been using the Omega2 pads.

I have been enquiring if people wanted to join me in a request to Stax to make a run of replacement SRX3 drivers, pro or regular, because the stock of spares has long since been depleted.

Since most of these phones are low bias, make sure the amp has a low bias socket.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #4,894 of 24,807
If Stax starts running off SRX drivers again, that would also maybe create a product for them in the market segment between the 202 and the 003/001?

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #4,895 of 24,807
Quote:

I have been enquiring if people wanted to join me in a request to Stax to make a run of replacement SRX3 drivers, pro or regular, because the stock of spares has long since been depleted.

I'm in
smily_headphones1.gif
Having a pair of spare drivers for my SR-5 pro would be great.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #4,896 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Stax starts running off SRX drivers again, that would also maybe create a product for them in the market segment between the 202 and the 003/001?

Potentially perhaps, assuming they wanted to be in that segment anyway, and that they could do a sufficiently large run to make it profitable to price a new unit so low. The one quote we've heard so far was ridiculously high just for the drivers, and Stax would have to get them cheap enough that Audiocubes and Pricejapan could list them for ca. $200-220 to slot between the $150 for the 003 and $280 for the 202.

With an amp it wouldn't really be much cheaper than a 2050, maybe $380-400 total at lowest. Come to think of it though, what dynamic headphone plus amp could compete at that price?

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #4,897 of 24,807
A little more on the Stax SRM-007TII. I feel I've been a little too harsh in my comments, so let me moderate myself a bit. This past few days, I've entirely been listening to the KGSS, trying a lot of material, both familiar and not. I even added some older recordings to my iTunes library. Some of them are unlistenable through the KGSS. This amp reveals lesser recordings in a way that may disappoint you if you're used to listening to a less transparent component than the Omega II. So, just for giggles, I hooked up the Stax amp and have been going through the same material I've been auditioning the past few days, and, the difference is incredible. I can actually listen to and enjoy the "substandard" recordings through the Stax amp that I had to switch to the floor speakers for before. The best recordings still have a bit more detail through the KGSS, and the dynamics are definitely more present, but there is a lot to be said for the tube sound of the Stax. The more I listen the more I wonder if perhaps I'm giving the Stax amp short shrift. I really wish I could hear a Blue Hawaii, as I suspect it would have the best of both worlds - power and delicacy, the euphonic richness of the tube amp and power and reach of the KGSS.
I had thought I might order one of Justin's BH SE's once I sell the Stax amp, but am now wondering if maybe I shouldn't just sell the KGSS, and order the BH SE, keeping the Stax at least until I get it.
Anyone interested in a like new KGSS at my cost?
smily_headphones1.gif
If there's interest, I may just do that instead.

Yes, I'm pretty fickle. But the amps each have strengths, and it's not an easy call. Spritzer, you've heard all these amps, haven't you? Am I imagining things or am I on the right track here?

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #4,899 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielexc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone heard anything about an updated KGSS design from Justin at HeadAmp?

I've got a few details from Justin but I don't know if the design is finalized yet so I will not relay that information. To summarize it will be much better built and with shorter signal paths.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downrange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I'm pretty fickle. But the amps each have strengths, and it's not an easy call. Spritzer, you've heard all these amps, haven't you? Am I imagining things or am I on the right track here?

You are not crazy...
wink.gif
This is exactly what I meant by my comments that the KGSS is a bit sterile as it lacks the natural bloom of a good tube amp to make all music shine. The KGSS is a great amp but needs tubes to move it up a notch. The BH is just that but with even more power and, when rolled with some nice tubes, all the bloom you could want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arielexc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the WooAudio GES? How does it compare to the SRM-007tII, the KGSS, and the KGBH?

Isn't the WooAudio GES also a Gilmore design? How close is it to the BH?

The GES is a much older design and very, very different. It will never match the power, detail or neutrality of the BH but that doesn't mean it isn't a good amp, just a different flavor.

Jan 7, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #4,900 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stay far away from that stuff. The build and parts quality is horrible

Thanks for the tip!
eek.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #4,902 of 24,807
Quote:

No problem. There has been a lot of trouble with that particular builder.

I wasn't aware of problems with the builder - McAllister - himself but I agree with spritzer (as an EA-4 owner) that the build quality leaves a lot to be desired (It's no Woo, that's for sure).

However, the SQ is not that far behind the stock Woo and I sometimes wonder when I finally get around to tube rolling whether the McAllister will be able to maintain a reasonable closeness to the best I can get out of the Woo.
confused.gif
(The McAllister certainly has a lot more power within it - 9pm on the volume is loud in the HE60s compared to 12 o'clock on the Woo GES)

What I can say is that both are a stage below the level randerson3024 normally uses - they're at my budget level (I'd love a KGBH or ES-1 but could never justify the expense in my personal budget/family commitments balance).

We each work with what we can.
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #4,903 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't aware of problems with the builder - McAllister - himself but I agree with spritzer (as an EA-4 owner) that the build quality leaves a lot to be desired (It's no Woo, that's for sure).

However, the SQ is not that far behind the stock Woo and I sometimes wonder when I finally get around to tube rolling whether the McAllister will be able to maintain a reasonable closeness to the best I can get out of the Woo.
confused.gif
(The McAllister certainly has a lot more power within it - 9pm on the volume is loud in the HE60s compared to 12 o'clock on the Woo GES)

What I can say is that both are a stage below the level randerson3024 normally uses - they're at my budget level (I'd love a KGBH or ES-1 but could never justify the expense in my personal budget/family commitments balance).

We each work with what we can.
wink.gif

That we must do. Please be aware that loudness has nothing to do with power as that is simply gain i.e. more voltage but often at the expense of current.

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #4,904 of 24,807
Quote:

Please be aware that loudness has nothing to do with power as that is simply gain i.e. more voltage but often at the expense of current.

Point taken, spritzer. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back