Jan 7, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #4,906 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downrange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The KGSS is for sale.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...ss-new-282795/

You are quick...
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #4,907 of 24,807
Can anyone here quickly describe how's Stax 2050A system sonic characteristic? is it worth to get over K701?

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #4,909 of 24,807
Milkpowder: Justin built mine a couple months, and yes, he does build to order. I love the KGSS, but am going to get something even better!

Kapunk: The 2050 replaced the 2020, which I have, and should sound the same. I'd charcterize the sound as a bit forward, slight bass boost around 40-55 hz, very revealing, but not nearly as accurate as Omega IIs (of course). A very nice system, though, I still use mine a lot.

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #4,910 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GES is a much older design and very, very different. It will never match the power, detail or neutrality of the BH but that doesn't mean it isn't a good amp, just a different flavor.

How about the GES vs. the SRM-007tII?

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #4,911 of 24,807
I am really starting to like my Omega 02s with the BH. I replaced the Groove Tube XF2 reproductions with Winged C tubes and it really seemed to improve the sound.

For those that have heard the Winged C compared to the real Mullard XF2s, how do you compare the sound?

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #4,912 of 24,807
so, I was pouring over tube datasheets last night and had a (potentially) startling discovery. Does the Stax connector fit in the British 5 pin tube sockets? Definitely the same angles and what not, but the Stax connector may be uniformly too small.

Spritzer, didn't you say that you had a few 807's on hand? Is there enough wiggle room in the base to accommodate the Stax male connector?

fiveyamaAGAIN.jpg

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #4,913 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielexc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the GES vs. the SRM-007tII?

That is a closer match but the GES should beat it hands down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really starting to like my Omega 02s with the BH. I replaced the Groove Tube XF2 reproductions with Winged C tubes and it really seemed to improve the sound.

For those that have heard the Winged C compared to the real Mullard XF2s, how do you compare the sound?

It's been a while but the Mullards are much more natural and a have musical flow that the "C's" lack. It's no contest really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, I was pouring over tube datasheets last night and had a (potentially) startling discovery. Does the Stax connector fit in the British 5 pin tube sockets? Definitely the same angles and what not, but the Stax connector may be uniformly too small.

Spritzer, didn't you say that you had a few 807's on hand? Is there enough wiggle room in the base to accommodate the Stax male connector?

fiveyamaAGAIN.jpg

The 807 footpint is much larger with bigger pins but the pattern is the same.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #4,914 of 24,807
Spritzer, the KGSS sold in less than six hours!

Now, I get to wait for the new amp to be built!

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #4,915 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 807 footpint is much larger with bigger pins but the pattern is the same.

right, but often the sockets have some wiggle room, as they look like this -o-, for example the older Soviet ceramic sockets... oh well, back to square 1.

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #4,916 of 24,807
Quote:

Great to hear! Btw. PM sent

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right, but often the sockets have some wiggle room, as they look like this -o-, for example the older Soviet ceramic sockets... oh well, back to square 1.

Here ya go, SR-Omega plug vs. 807
main.php

Jan 7, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #4,917 of 24,807
Quote:

Curious as to what amp will be replacing your KGSS...
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #4,919 of 24,807
Hello all,

I've been saving a bit and I now have about enough for a 3050A system. With a little effort I could go up to the 4040. I currently use a DV336i and Senn HD650 and love the sound of vacuum tubes. Is the tube amp used in the 4040 system well regarded or am I better of just buying a set of SR-404 and finding a used amp?
Also, is it even a worthwhile step up from the 3050?

Thanks for your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back