The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #24,361 of 24,807
Quote:
What exactly is the difference between the Stax SRD-X Professional, any Stax basic amp, and any random energizer, in terms of how they amplify?

SRD-X Pro uses a chip-amp feeding step-up transformers that output HV to the earspeakers.

Stax Basic amp uses discreet power transistors that output HV to the earspeakers.

"Random energizer" connects to a dynamic amplifier that feeds
the primary LV (input) side of the energizer's step-up transformers that output HV to the earspeakers.

That being said, IMO anything that uses transformers as the output to the earspeakers is inferior in sound quality.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #24,365 of 24,807
Everybody is entitled to their opinion or preference, but to state that transformer coupling is inherently inferior is nothing more than an assertion fallacy.

It's fine to tell somebody what you prefer or like, but to make blanket assertions is just misleading.

I have heard some transformer coupled rigs that I didn't like so much, but then, some direct amps don't sound so good, either.

I don't think the Woo stuff uses the highest caliber of transformers.  That, or the standard stax transformer boxes (which I think sound pretty good for what they are) seem to be the major references, or the boxes are used with amps that aren't so great.

I heard a 007 with a Stax 7 box and a Woo 5 300b amp, that I thought I would like, and I didn't particularly.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #24,366 of 24,807
I can only compare based on what I am hearing out of the Taboo MK3 amp + Wee + 007MKIs vs the LCD-3s out of the same amplifier.

So far I think I prefer the LCD-3s with modern genres, but I haven't decided which one I prefer overall yet. The 007MKIs as I hear them are definitely bettering the LCD-2s for example. Where the LCD-3s win in bass quality, energy, treble spark, the SR007MKIs win in transparency, naturalness of soundtage presentation, background blackness and female vocals.

There are several aspects where I hear them similarly: both are warm sounding, great transients (but very different decays), both are very detailed yet forgiving and very important to me: both ROCK HARD.

I am pleased with how the SR007MKIs sound for the added investment in  the convertor, however look forward to try them on a dedicated stat amplifier, once I figure out which one and ready for the damage. :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #24,367 of 24,807
I freakin' LOVE the SRS-2170 with rock music! I can't say the same for the LCD-2. The treble was seriously lacking any sort of presence or enjoyment with those.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #24,368 of 24,807
Hello,

For information.

On the French forum Stax HCFR, we will realize early September (7 and 8 September) an interesting confrontation of electrostatic amplifiers, single-blind, after equalization of levels with a voltmeter, with a Stax SR 009 headphone.
Amplifiers list  selected: Eddie Current Electra (one of superfred21) ; Stax SRM 727 (that of Pierre (Peter)) ; combi Audiovalve RKV mk2 + WooAudio Wee (mine).
Dacs used : TotalDac D1; Audiomat Maestro Reference ;  PS Audio Perfect Wave mk2.

We seek the amplifier giving the best possible synergy with the SR 009 and we will keep you informed of the outcome of this confrontation.

Eric

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #24,369 of 24,807
Quote:
Hello,

For information.

On the French forum Stax HCFR, we will realize early September (7 and 8 September) an interesting confrontation of electrostatic amplifiers, single-blind, after equalization of levels with a voltmeter, with a Stax SR 009 headphone.
Amplifiers list  selected: Eddie Current Electra (one of superfred21) ; Stax SRM 727 (that of Pierre (Peter)) ; combi Audiovalve RKV mk2 + WooAudio Wee (mine).
Dacs used : TotalDac D1; Audiomat Maestro Reference ;  PS Audio Perfect Wave mk2.

We seek the amplifier giving the best possible synergy with the SR 009 and we will keep you informed of the outcome of this confrontation.

Eric

Great stuff. Very interested to hear how it went. 
One question though: According to Google the Audiovalve RKV mk2 appears to be a headamp with no speaker taps. How are you connecting the Wee to it and how much power is put through to the Wee?

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #24,370 of 24,807
Quote:
Everybody is entitled to their opinion or preference, but to state that transformer coupling is inherently inferior is nothing more than an assertion fallacy.

It's fine to tell somebody what you prefer or like, but to make blanket assertions is just misleading.

I have heard some transformer coupled rigs that I didn't like so much, but then, some direct amps don't sound so good, either.

I don't think the Woo stuff uses the highest caliber of transformers.  That, or the standard stax transformer boxes (which I think sound pretty good for what they are) seem to be the major references, or the boxes are used with amps that aren't so great.

I heard a 007 with a Stax 7 box and a Woo 5 300b amp, that I thought I would like, and I didn't particularly.

My assertion is partially false of course, but who will pay vintage state of the art transformer that will cost nearly as much as a BHSE in order to step up a regular power amp to drive their stats??? Nowadays low cost transformers are a nightmare thats what I believe

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #24,371 of 24,807
Quote:
A stax amp is really needed to fully enjoy your stats. The transformer is like a bandaid for lack of a real amp.

Quote:
That being said, IMO anything that uses transformers as the output to the earspeakers is inferior in sound quality.

I strongly disagree with these being said as facts (except livewires imo). I own both a Stax amp and a Stax SRD7sb MK2 energizer and I can tell you that a energizer powered by a decent speaker amp is no slouch and will get you 80-90% of the sound performance if you have it plugged into a Stax amplifier (ruling out all aftermarket electrostatic amplifier).

They have enough power so plenty of headroom and no clipping at 3'o clock on the dial, that said, the last 10-15% or even less is where Stax amplifiers have the advantage and that is detail and definition but if one would do a blind test you can't tell a difference between the two.

Quote:

+1.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #24,372 of 24,807
Quote:

Great stuff. Very interested to hear how it went. 
One question though: According to Google the Audiovalve RKV mk2 appears to be a headamp with no speaker taps. How are you connecting the Wee to it and how much power is put through to the Wee?

With an adapter.

Output voltage max RKV: 80 Volts to the input of the 100 Kilo-Ohms Wee

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #24,373 of 24,807
Quote:

With an adapter.

Output voltage max RKV: 80 Volts DC to the input of the 100 KOhms Wee

Cool. I read that the RKV can output 3W/channel which then indeed meets the minimum for the Woo Wee. Is it the SR009s you are normally driving with it? 

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #24,374 of 24,807
Aug 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #24,375 of 24,807
Quote:
Voltage max output Wee 35 x 80 Volts = 2800 Volts !

Is it enough?

Maybe I am missing something here, but what I am talking about is Watts or VA (Power) and only because of the specifications requirement for the Woo Wee. 

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wee.html
  1. Speaker amplifier input: >= 3 watts

However I've read the below and this is where I understood that the RKV output gives 2x 3 Watts. If this is correct it meets the minimal specifications, but whether it's ideal I don't know. My amplifier does 2x 4.5Watts and again the same open question on my side. It does get very loud with no clipping though.

Sources:
http://www.hifidirect.com.au/client/sec_index.php?p=217
http://www.casques-headphones.com/audiovalve/197-amplificateur-casque-rkv-mkii-a-tube-audiovalve.html
[size=small]
But there is even a third way of using the RKV. The performance of nearly 2*3 Watt is also adequate for driving loudspeakers. Therefore we use the so-called “Impedancer”, that reduces the output impedance of the RKV to the size of the loudspeakers impdedance. Basically high-class transmitters which scale down the output voltage. With loudspeakers starting from 93 dB you can receive an excellent musical result.[/size]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back