The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #24,331 of 24,807
This is what I use for a DAC, because I can hardly tell the difference between the

1. Perfect Wave II ($4,000)
  2. ODAC ($150)
  3. ELE DAC ($10).

At least this is convenient and will do double duty as a mediocre amplifier if you want it to. I fail to see the reason why a DAC should ever need to cost more than $75 if this can do as well as anything else I've heard.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #24,332 of 24,807
What happened to that story about being run over while using Stax?

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #24,333 of 24,807
I would not say more drastically.
My hearing ain't the best given my age.
FWIW, IMO a SRM-252 sounds about 80% as good as what a Blue Hawaii would.
Not bad, considering ~$300 vs $5000.

That sounds great, especially since I don't have $5000 to blow on a BHSE!:D

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #24,337 of 24,807
This is what I use for a DAC, because I can hardly tell the difference between the

• Perfect Wave II ($4,000)
  • ODAC ($150)
  • ELE DAC ($10).

At least this is convenient and will do double duty as a mediocre amplifier if you want it to. I fail to see the reason why a DAC should ever need to cost more than $75 if this can do as well as anything else I've heard.

Whatt??

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #24,339 of 24,807
Re-reading darth nut's epic Omega II review.. Opinions on it?

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #24,340 of 24,807
Quote:
No offense but you gotta have shoddy ears if you cannot tell the difference between the $15-20 ELE PCM2704 usb dac vs ODAC or the PW2. 

The ELE DAC is pretty close, but admittedly, it's not as good as, say, the ODAC. A bit of an exaggeration on my part earlier, but honestly, the $10 DAC is 90% of the ODAC, and the ODAC to me is 100% of the PW2. I've stated repeatedly beforehand that I couldn't tell even the slightest difference between the ODAC and the PW2 using TOTL gear (HD800, TH-900, LCD-3, SR-303, etc.), and I had a virtually instant mechanism to switch between the two.

I think my $50 DAC is at least on the verge of being audibly transparent (as long as you're not using it as an amp as well), and the form factor is incredible. I see little reason to upgrade or buy anything else, and I would recommend it to anyone in PC audio because of its excellent simplicity, durability, size, price point, and performance.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #24,341 of 24,807
Quote:

The ELE DAC is pretty close, but admittedly, it's not as good as, say, the ODAC. A bit of an exaggeration on my part earlier, but honestly, the $10 DAC is 90% of the ODAC, and the ODAC to me is 100% of the PW2. I've stated repeatedly beforehand that I couldn't tell even the slightest difference between the ODAC and the PW2 using TOTL gear (HD800, TH-900, LCD-3, SR-303, etc.), and I had a virtually instant mechanism to switch between the two.

I think my $50 DAC is at least on the verge of being audibly transparent (as long as you're not using it as an amp as well), and the form factor is incredible. I see little reason to upgrade or buy anything else, and I would recommend it to anyone because I think it's awesome.

You're very lucky. Your journey ends there and your wallet can celebrate. 
smile.gif
  For many others and I speak here for myself, it's a very long way in SQ.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #24,342 of 24,807
I just don't believe that DACs contribute virtually anything to the sound once you get to the point where shortcuts in topology aren't being taken and quality components are being used. I'd prefer to put all my money in transducers and amps where the difference is obvious, if not impossible, to ignore.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #24,343 of 24,807
Quote:
Gosh, there are so many good DACs out there....  lots of DAC threads on Head-Fi to read.  I wonder what Spritzer uses for a DAC?  He's very  Stax-oriented....

I use a MSB Platinum DACIII which has been fully updated with all the newest stuff they offer and the best dac modules.  Then I worked on it a bit more making small improvements here and there. 

This is my end game in terms of sources... well until it dies and I can't bring it back to life.  It's been running 24/7 for almost two years now and never misses a beat. 

Quote:
Re-reading darth nut's epic Omega II review.. Opinions on it?

It's epic...? 
biggrin.gif
  All kidding aside he pretty much nails it.  Clear definitions as to why the 007 is superior to the SR-Omega and his attempts to work out the headstage lingo were quite revolutionary. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #24,344 of 24,807
Quote:

I use a MSB Platinum DACIII which has been fully updated with all the newest stuff they offer and the best dac modules.  Then I worked on it a bit more making small improvements here and there. 

This is my end game in terms of sources... well until it dies and I can't bring it back to life.  It's been running 24/7 for almost two years now and never misses a beat. 

Tell me you are joking?

Btw, spritzer.  What do you think about Woo WES?  I tried using Cary 300 SEI speaker amp to SR-009 and I thought it's awesome!  But I am a Stax newbie, need more enlightenment from senior Staxer 
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #24,345 of 24,807
Quote:

Tell me you are joking?

Btw, spritzer.  What do you think about Woo WES?  I tried using Cary 300 SEI speaker amp to SR-009 and I thought it's awesome!  But I am a Stax newbie, need more enlightenment from senior Staxer 
biggrin.gif

Do you mean Woo Wee? Woo Wes is a $5000+ amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back