The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #24,346 of 24,807
I just don't believe that DACs contribute virtually anything to the sound once you get to the point where shortcuts in topology aren't being taken and quality components are being used. I'd prefer to put all my money in transducers and amps where the difference is obvious, if not impossible, to ignore.

I agree. I've been down the road with $4000+ upstream setups and I don't think there's any substantive difference between that and some of the better $100-150 gear.

Electrostatic amplification is another matter, however.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #24,348 of 24,807
Quote:
Oh, sorry, yes, Woo Wee.  See, you can tell I am a Stax newbie  :D
What do you think?  Is it good or bad? so-so?

I'm a Stax newbie too. Should've really said hello to the thread. Hello! As this is my only option at the moment to extend my existing dynamic rig, I am presently running the SR007-MKIs out of Woo Wee and amped by the Taboo Decware MK3 via speaker taps. It's definetely enjoyable and the MKIs sound very transparent, clean and clear, but I'm very interested to determine where this sits in the order of things. I'm still reading through the thread maybe I will buy a proper stat amp that doesn't break the bank to compare and then decide what's going to get sold. :)

I am not quite ready to part with the LCD-3s as they do a few things very well.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #24,350 of 24,807
Quote:

Tell me you are joking?

Btw, spritzer.  What do you think about Woo WES?  I tried using Cary 300 SEI speaker amp to SR-009 and I thought it's awesome!  But I am a Stax newbie, need more enlightenment from senior Staxer 
biggrin.gif

Dacs should be run 24/7 and this one doesn't even have a power switch. 

I've had to fix two brand new WEE's for users here as they simply didn't work so I wouldn't recommend buying one.  Just get a Stax SRD-7 Mk2. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #24,351 of 24,807
I don't think I ever read anywhere about running Stax phones out of a speaker amp.
There must be some reason why this should not work well (or maybe even harm the phones).

(This is in response to the person who mentioned the Cary 300SEI amp above.)

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #24,355 of 24,807
Dacs should be run 24/7 and this one doesn't even have a power switch. 

I've had to fix two brand new WEE's for users here as they simply didn't work so I wouldn't recommend buying one.  Just get a Stax SRD-7 Mk2. 

Wow! Great advice. I never thought Stax itself have the same solution, and it's cheaper too.
I will find some more information about it. Thanks.
Do you think running this way is ok? Or it will alter the sound so much? Or affect dynamic. I don't like the sound from Stax amps though, dynamic is too flat.

I don't think I ever read anywhere about running Stax phones out of a speaker amp.
There must be some reason why this should not work well (or maybe even harm the phones).

(This is in response to the person who mentioned the Cary 300SEI amp above.)

No no, I am not running directly from speaker amp. It goes through an adapter first, Woo Wee.

Get one of these, Stancor modified SRD 5!

Just kidding, but it does sound awesome, though suffering from a bad case of the DIY fuglies.

Hahaha, look a little frankenstein-ish :p

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #24,356 of 24,807
A stax amp is really needed to fully enjoy your stats. The transformer is like a bandaid for lack of a real amp.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #24,357 of 24,807
Quote:
I can't seem to find a reasonably priced basic stax system for my desktop. 950€ for the basic set is just a plain ripoff. There's a Lambda + SRM-1 MK2 for 549€ though..

from Pricejapan you get SRS4170 for around 1100€ ish. The SRS3170 is 800€ ish. The basic SRS005mkII is only 450€. This is writing while immensely enjoying and some Chemical Brothers with the 400€ SRS002, Stax can be affordable.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #24,358 of 24,807
Quote:
from Pricejapan you get SRS4170 for around 1100€ ish. The SRS3170 is 800€ ish. The basic SRS005mkII is only 450€.

Which one for both the SR007 MKI and SR009? 

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #24,359 of 24,807
Quote:
I can't seem to find a reasonably priced basic stax system for my desktop. 950€ for the basic set is just a plain ripoff. There's a Lambda + SRM-1 MK2 for 549€ though..

That lambda set... I guess it is a fair price in Europe, but if you have the patience, maybe you can do better. Got my set for only 470€, which is a very good price in Europe. Earlier we have discussed the very very high prices on Stax stuff in eu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back