1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Stax thread (New)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by carl, Feb 17, 2007.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefQon
    Quote:
    Is there much difference in sound between the old KGSS and KGSSHV besides being a high voltage version? 

2. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Quote:
    We shall see when it gets here in a week or two. [​IMG] The specs on it are quite impressive. 

I hope Birgir doesn't mind me posting his PM to me about the amp, but here goes:

"Full +/-500V IXYS specification with an oversized SumR transformer which is configured for 117V only.  This does mean it is dead silent  .... you can hardly tell the bloody thing is running...  [​IMG]   ...... The case is the Italian steel case I used on my first HV back in the day so the front is aluminum but the rest is painted steel. "

Team Overkill strikes again. [​IMG]

3. DefQon
    Awaiting impressions. Now I wish I had the rest of the funds to finish building mine. It's half-arsed atm. [​IMG]

Btw will you sell off the KGSS if the HV turn out to be better?

4. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Quote:
    I will keep the better amp. But knowing Gilmore amps, I'm thinking the differences will be more in line with between the GS-1 and GS-X. [​IMG]

5. 3X0
    How much should I expect to pay for a KGSS or KGSSHV provided I'm not building it myself?

6. loligagger
    Anywhere in the neighborhood of $2000 for a KGSS and $3000 for an HV. Give or take.

7. MacedonianHero Contributor
    Quote:
    That's about right.

8. 3X0
    Wasn't the HeadAmp KGSS ~$1500?

9. Solude
    A decade ago yes.

10. NoPants
    I wish I could charge that much for my shoddy casework :) there was a bit of conversation I threw around with doctor Gilmore about getting a par metal template case for the new onboard version. Should lower the barrier to entry significantly as far as complete builds go if somebody were to contribute that work.

11. grawk
    not just a decade ago, but a decade ago and he stopped making it because it wasn't making financial sense to keep building them.

12. tdogzthmn
    Started playing around with using a dedicated Sub paired with my SR-507.  There's definitely a noticeable difference when the sub is on but it's hard getting the frequency and gain dialed in to make it sound cohesive.  It's hard to get right without annoying others just hearing low end wub-wub emanating from my room.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/massdrop https://twitter.com/massdrop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
  13. milosz
    Quote:

What do you think of the ELE DAC?

14. milosz
    Quote:
    In my DIY builds I am really trying hard to upgrade my casework. It's hard to do great things with metal when you don't have access to a CNC mill.  Here's a phono preamp I did (and sold) - polished copper and bubinga wood.
    My electronic work is quite good (IMHO  hahaha) but I really would like to keep improving in terms of chassis cosmetics.  I'm working on a Beta 22 right now with a front panel that I designed and had milled out of a billet of 6061 aluminum. I am also accumulating pieces for my T-2 chassis which I hope will be very handsome....

Cornet-Side-small.png Cornet-Front-small.png

15. milosz
    Where these made by Stax?

T2eC16ZHJGsFFMeMFzBSczWP3MQ60_57.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.