The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #20,236 of 24,807
Quote:
Aren't the 307 and 407 essentially the same headphone?

They are minus the smaller capacitance of the wide cable. 

Quote:

Normal bias is a lower bias voltage, and it only applies to headphones that Stax hasn't made for decades (i think decades).

The last ones were around 1990 so yeah, decades. 

Quote:

Thanks again you reply spritzer.

Stax SRM-006tA blows the main fuse after 240V mod. I have no experience or knowledge did it worked well in 100V, but the original 125V fuse was fine. Any ideas what might be the problem? Is there a service manual available for 006tA? 

There should be less current flowing at 240V so something is wrong.  No service manuals for any of the Stax stuff. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #20,237 of 24,807
So its not worth it saving up for the 407?

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #20,238 of 24,807
Quote:

Does that go for the MK2 as well? i don't think I'll be getting the Mk1 unless I can find one in the FS. Unfortunately my modding skills are nonexistant but I do have to save up for all this so just want to have an idea on what exactly to save up for.

What I've from earlier in this thread is that you need an amp that has absolute tight control over the bass region for the MKII as they tend to be more loose and prominent in that region. I've never tried the MKII's so I can't say anything based on first hand experience... I'll let the more knowledgeable of the Mafia chime in on this instead.
o2smile.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #20,239 of 24,807
Would the Stax SR323s amp be able to drive the Stax 507 well?

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #20,240 of 24,807
Quote:
Would the Stax SR323s amp be able to drive the Stax 507 well?

The best official amp for 507 is SRM600LTD,
sencond best I heard is SRM T1 (early version,you can see large red/brown resistors inside)
T1S are good too,

007tII price is much higher than T1,but it's the worst stax tube amps I've heard...
I guess it's because it uses bad tubes

didn't tried the SS amps yet

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #20,241 of 24,807
Quote:

The best official amp for 507 is SRM600LTD,
sencond best I heard is SRM T1 (early version,you can see large red/brown resistors inside)
T1S are good too,

007tII price is much higher than T1,but it's the worse stax tube amps I've heard...

didn't tried the SS amps yet

I would rather not pay $600 more for the amp than the headphone..

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #20,243 of 24,807
Quote:
Yes it drives it fine.

Basically if you like the general brightness of the 507s (or compensate that with a warm DAC, EQ, etc.) you will probably like it with almost any amp.

Sweet, is there a difference between the 307s, 407s, or the 507s? That are major?

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #20,244 of 24,807
Quote:
Sweet, is there a difference between the 307s, 407s, or the 507s? That are major?

Not major but there is a difference. Graben wrote earlier that he had thought the 307 was more edgy and the 407 was the sweet spot in the range.
If the drivers are the same and yet they do sound different and the cable is negligible then the earpads might be a bit different.
The leather earpads of the 507 are more comfortable and seal better.
With leather earpads the drivers are slightly closer to the ears = more precise but slightly less airy sound

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #20,245 of 24,807
[/quote]
Not major but there is a difference. Graben wrote earlier that he had thought the 307 was more edgy and the 407 was the sweet spot in the range.
If the drivers are the same and yet they do sound different and the cable is negligible then the earpads might be a bit different.
The leather earpads of the 507 are more comfortable and seal better.
With leather earpads the drivers are slightly closer to the ears = more precise but slightly less airy sound
The 407 is supposed to be better than the 507? That means I can get the SRM252s to drive it with?

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #20,248 of 24,807
First i'd like to say that my native tongue is French, so please be indulgent.second, i just hope that my little story isn't too boring.

Having read a few posts pertaining to Stax, i get the feeling that Stax owners get a lot of heat from peoples who seem to think that spending this much money on headphones is, let's just say questionable.My take on the matter is, if you have food in the fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head, and you pay your share of taxes, what you do with your disposable income is your buisness, and as far as i'm concerned, you shouldn't feel the need to justify yourself to anyone.

Now, last spring i was at the Montréal Hi-Fi show, and i saw this guy sitting at a table with a pair of headphones on, and he really seemed to be enjoying what he was hearing, so i sat next to him and grabed a pair of my own and was introduced to Sofia Petterson's breath taking version of Hallelujah.After the song was over, me and the guy looked at each other and for a moment, we were both speechless and amazed by what we'd just heard.

I have to admit, up until that moment at the show, i never gave Stax a second tought, probably due to the fact that they are a rare occurance,now, i knew that both pairs of headphones were Stax, but i didn't pay attention to the specific models, it was then that i found out that my new found friend had on the 009, while i had the 007 MK2, that being said, as good as the 007's sounded, i felt that they just got upstaged by miss Petterson's moving voice.

Then i got home, still thinking about that ''Hallmark moment'' i just had, and then it hit me, maybe the reason why i'd gotten so lost in the music, was probably because the 007 just gave me a clear window to enjoy the pictrue depicted by the music, wich i believe is exactly what a good paire of headphones should do.They've been on my mind ever since, but since they're doesn't seem to be an autorized Stax dealer here in Montréal, i guess i'll just have to wait till the next Hi-Fi show to finaly hear the 009 and compare them to the 007 MK2.

I presently own Grado's GS/HP/PS1000s, my source is a Yamaha DVD-S2700, it has decent D/A converters and sound pretty good, and my amp is a Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2, overall i'm very satisfied with my sound system, but this hobby being what it is, if Stax headphones can bring me closer to the holy grail, i just might give myself a nice present.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #20,250 of 24,807
Quote:
Come on, read the replies and use the search function alteady! It gets old to read the same questions over and over and over and over again.

Hi there I'm newbian and have a question my doctor said I have excess iron in my bloodstream and my question is does this make me magnetic?  Because the headphones I'm looking at getting are plantar magnetic and I don't wanna screw up the magnetic fields and make my new headphones go haywire like the kid who was in the holocaust who used his magnetic powers and grew up to be gandalf.  Hopefully this isn't too polarizing of a question k thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back