The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #20,251 of 24,807
Quote: The 407 is supposed to be better than the 507? That means I can get the SRM252s to drive it with?[/quote]

Nobody has said that the 407 is better than the 507. What has been said is that the 407 with the 507 ear pads is almost identical in sound to the 507. As with most quality headphones both will scale for better sound with better amplification. The SRM252 may drive these headphones to acceptable levels to your ears, but they will certainly have not reached their full potential.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #20,252 of 24,807
Quote:
Hi there I'm newbian and have a question my doctor said I have excess iron in my bloodstream and my question is does this make me magnetic?  Because the headphones I'm looking at getting are plantar magnetic and I don't wanna screw up the magnetic fields and make my new headphones go haywire like the kid who was in the holocaust who used his magnetic powers and grew up to be gandalf.  Hopefully this isn't too polarizing of a question k thanks guys.

Get the Beyerdynamic T1.
The 1 tesla of magnetism will cause the iron to gravitate to your ears, This will augment the cellular structure and stop any unwanted reverberation in your ear canals as well as steel your nerves.
It will also regulate the amount of iron in your blood which will prevent any blood disorders caused by excessive iron in your bloodstream.

Quote:
Whats the best DAC for under $200?

1. A second hand Dacmagic.
2. Any Dac over $200 acquired from "Midnight Spares" or "Light-Fingers Inc." (Not recommended).

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #20,253 of 24,807
Quote:
Nobody has said that the 407 is better than the 507. What has been said is that the 407 with the 507 ear pads is almost identical in sound to the 507. As with most quality headphones both will scale for better sound with better amplification. The SRM252 may drive these headphones to acceptable levels to your ears, but they will certainly have not reached their full potential.

Ah, do any of you know if the 407's sound close to the Hifiman HE500s? It would make everything MUCH easier.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #20,254 of 24,807
Quote:
Ah, do any of you know if the 407's sound close to the Hifiman HE500s? It would make everything MUCH easier.

if you like i can do a quick comparison between the Stax 507 and Hifiman HE500.  as for comfort, if you have a small head i wouldnt recommend the rectangle Stax design as they will sit very low on your ears.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #20,255 of 24,807
Quote:

if you like i can do a quick comparison between the Stax 507 and Hifiman HE500.  as for comfort, if you have a small head i wouldnt recommend the rectangle Stax design as they will sit very low on your ears.

I'd say I have a small head, but I tried the Stax 207 or 307(not sure which) with a Stax SR252s and was absolutely blown away. I had LCD2, Senn HD800, and a Beyer T1 with me and thought the Stax sounded better. But hey, thats just my opinion. I thought they were extremely comfortable too. I would love a comparison. Thanks!

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #20,256 of 24,807
Fortunately for us all, Justin has turned into an angel overlooking newbies in their quest toward money well spent :wink:. You're in good hands, that at least I can say!

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #20,258 of 24,807
Quote:
Then i got home, still thinking about that ''Hallmark moment'' i just had, and then it hit me, maybe the reason why i'd gotten so lost in the music, was probably because the 007 just gave me a clear window to enjoy the pictrue depicted by the music, wich i believe is exactly what a good paire of headphones should do.They've been on my mind ever since, but since they're doesn't seem to be an autorized Stax dealer here in Montréal, i guess i'll just have to wait till the next Hi-Fi show to finaly hear the 009 and compare them to the 007 MK2.

I've recently had a similar "Hallmark moment" w.r.t Stax phones, specifically the 007/007tII combo... but that was at Audio Shop here in Montreal... check 'em out!

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #20,259 of 24,807
Quote:

I've owned both (I sold the HE500). I did a direct comparison and the midrange of the HE500 is very different from the 407 (with either ear pad). The HE500 has a very magical midrange and a bit on the warm side. The 407/507 is very neutral in the mids and very true to the recording. So no, they do not sound close. The HE500's are very heavy and I could not deal with them from a comfort standpoint. The 407 is lighter and more comfortable with either ear pad but it is no HD800 or T1 in the comfort department. I own the T1's and I can forget I am wearing headphones with them on. You won't be forgetting the 407/507.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #20,263 of 24,807
Quote:
Come on, read the replies and use the search function alteady! It gets old to read the same questions over and over and over and over again.

The search function for threads isn't very good, even if you are a clever lad with the syntax.  Needs improvement.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #20,264 of 24,807
Quote:
Whats the best DAC for under $200?

Some folks like the Musical Fidelity VDAC.  Pretty good DAC for cheap, used.  Slightly warm sounding; not for detail freaks.

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/musical_fidelity_v-dac_da_processor/index.html

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #20,265 of 24,807
Quote:
I've owned both (I sold the HE500). I did a direct comparison and the midrange of the HE500 is very different from the 407 (with either ear pad). The HE500 has a very magical midrange and a bit on the warm side. The 407/507 is very neutral in the mids and very true to the recording. So no, they do not sound close. The HE500's are very heavy and I could not deal with them from a comfort standpoint. The 407 is lighter and more comfortable with either ear pad but it is no HD800 or T1 in the comfort department. I own the T1's and I can forget I am wearing headphones with them on. You won't be forgetting the 407/507.

407/507 are very true to amp/source too, 
& they improve significantly after break-in, I was disappointed by the fresh 507,

now I use them everyday,because they are so transparent,never distract me from music.
the lambda signature have better mids, but Im not totally satisfied with their highs & basses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back