The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #20,206 of 24,807
I think it may say on the site that both black and brown could be synthetic, could be wrong though, other sellers say both the brown and black are "[size=small]high quality lambskin leather", and my browns definitely smell like real leather [/size]
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #20,208 of 24,807
Quote:

I think the SR-007 mk I's sound pretty good on the SRM-T1.  The SR-007's have better bass and a more neutral overall sound than the Lambda Signatures. (I own both)

Of course the SR-007's will sound even better on a BHSE, or KGSS / KGSSHV  but they sound quite good on the SRM-T1   SRM-T1  is really quite a respectable amp.

Thanks.  A little out of my league but I'm definitely going to look at getting the 407s.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #20,211 of 24,807
New Stax owner here... Yay!!

First time I heard stax was about a decade ago. I have always wanted Stax gear and recently I found the Lambda Signature phones with an SRM-T1 locally for what I think was a good deal.

I just love these things on early music (ie, Jordi Savall or Christopher Hogwood) and small chamber groups.  Female vocals and guitar or piano is just glorious.

They don't handle the big sounds such as orchestras all that well and the bass is a little soft.  What would be a good earspeaker to upgrade to that would work with this amp? Are any of the new ones a step up?  I'm thinking the SR-307 price wise but should I stretch to the SR-407?

Thanks!

Get a 407 or 507, I own both lambda signature & 507,

507 sound ethereal,have better clarity, impact and extension,
sound image is better, like "you are on the stage"

The lambda signature have a warmish,natural tone,
the mid basses & mids are very detailed,more musical, like "you are feeling the music"

They complement each other very well.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #20,212 of 24,807
Thanks for the comparative comments.  I recently was in a shop listening to some of the big names and I still can't get over the clarity of these lambda sigs.  I think I will order the 407s tonight and look for the 507 pads for the upgrade.  

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #20,215 of 24,807
The black pads are a little deeper, changes the volume of the earcup-seal area* and has an impact on bass response I believe.  Some people don't like the change.

---------------
Yeah I know "changes the volume of the area"  is mixing 3d with 2d, but I think you get my meaning......

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #20,216 of 24,807
Time to stop lurking and post something... 

I use several Logitech Transporters fed with about 1,600 albums ripped to flac.  I mostly listen to music while on the computer in the evenings through a crappy (Bose) set of bookshelf speakers.  My bedroom and living room have Paradgm Signature 8 V.3 speakers which sound great, but I can't squeeze floor standing speakers into my little office, so I decided on a set of headphones. Having once purchased Stax headphones in 1990 (I don't recall the model, but they weren't anything special), I Googled Stax and landed on this forum 6+ months ago.  

I've read all the posts of many of the threads in the forum and decided to purchase a set of 009s which had been on order for some 2 months before I took delivery (Elusive Disc.)  I came close to ordering a BHSE, but living in California with a room hosting two highly overclocked computers, gigabit managed switch, etc., I was reluctant to adding a few tubes that would probably push my little home/office room to convection oven heat levels during the summer months.  So, I decided on the LL, but I was about a week to late as they were all sold out.  I wasn't about to stare at my 009 cans until 04/13 when the next batch of LL amps will become available, so I purchased a 727II.  

Now, I'm really enjoying the music like never before, but I think the music could sound better.  Now I don't have refined tastes for sound like many on this forum, but I know what I like, and I don't like the veil/haze I'm hearing in my music. I know it's not the headphones or amp.  The Transporter is an excellent transport with a quality DAC, but the DAC appears to be holding my 009s back, so a lot more forum reading....I quickly realized there's a DAC made for everyone's unique tastes, and there's no best DAC - if you like the sound, regardless of price, it can be the perfect DAC.

Knowing my sound tastes clearly bias tight/analytical/clinical over bassy/warmth, and appreciating dCS' DAC design (an engineering sledgehammer relative to traditional DAC SoC implementations) I have a Dubussy DAC on order.  Whatever sound generated from the combination of '009 cans, 727II amp, Debussy DAC and XLR digital output from the Transporter, I'm going to love it.  I'll probably look at the LL again in April, but the 727II seems like a great amp, so it might make a good spare :)  

The 009 headphones are fantastic and will be with me for a very, very long time.  It's really great to be able to listen to quality music when browsing through all the posts on this board.

- Sean

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #20,217 of 24,807
Quote:
Time to stop lurking and post something... 

I use several Logitech Transporters fed with about 1,600 albums ripped to flac.  I mostly listen to music while on the computer in the evenings through a crappy (Bose) set of bookshelf speakers.  My bedroom and living room have Paradgm Signature 8 V.3 speakers which sound great, but I can't squeeze floor standing speakers into my little office, so I decided on a set of headphones.

Great first post, Sean.

Actually now that you have great headphones, you could listen to your Paradigm speakers in your office using a Smyth Realiser. Or PM if you want to do the same thing without having to buy a Realiser... That's how I listen to my floor standing speakers in my little office.

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #20,219 of 24,807
That's the lambda radio edition, highly sought after as best sounding stax evaaar, congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back