The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #20,176 of 24,807
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the advice livewire.  In fact I was in the process of doing that already and just got an SRD-6 delivered today.

Unfortunately the problem continues with the SRD-6 so now I know it is a problem with the SR-3 headphones.  For the engineering and scientifically inclined folks out there, here are the new data points:

The SRD-6 running the SR-3's has exactly the same problem BUT it happens at a slower rate.  It takes about 3 songs before my balance control needs to swing all the way over to the left side in an attempt to stay balanced.  Most of the first song listened to sounds great and I though the problem was resolved after changing from the SRD-5.  However, it became apparent that the fading out is still the same but just slower with the passive SRD-6 than the electrically biased SRD-5.

Turning off the power amp and then trying again in 10-15 minutes shows the SR-3 to have regained about 1/2 of the loss but not yet balanced (about 9 o'clock on the balance control instead of the < 7 o'clock where it was pinned to earlier).

Thanks for the links to Ken Rockwell's site, I had already read all I could there but other folks with vintage Stax will find good reviews there.

So, the bottom line seems to be the SR-3's need repairing.  What do I do now?

Hi!

It seems very strange to me how your headphones would sound nice and have imbalanced sound later on.  Do you think that they sound equally soft at the beginning and after a while one would sound louder than the other?

Given its age, it's very possible that the coating material has started to degrade.  If you think you can and want to recoat the diaphragm, I can guide you through that.

Wachara C.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #20,178 of 24,807
Nov 27, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #20,182 of 24,807
Quote:
you will have to excuse me.  I have no experience with this. Will that transformer you showed me work?

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/166984241

this is the item that I bought.

As far as I can tell, the transformer I have will work.

The 323S accepts 50 or 60Hz and 100V. The transformer I have will accept 60Hz/120V from the wall and output 100V 60Hz to your 323S.

I just looked at the specs on the Stax website:
http://www.stax.co.jp/Japan/SRS3170_j.html

BTW, that's a good price, assuming shipping/taxes aren't too high.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #20,185 of 24,807
New Stax owner here... Yay!!

First time I heard stax was about a decade ago. I have always wanted Stax gear and recently I found the Lambda Signature phones with an SRM-T1 locally for what I think was a good deal.

I just love these things on early music (ie, Jordi Savall or Christopher Hogwood) and small chamber groups.  Female vocals and guitar or piano is just glorious.

They don't handle the big sounds such as orchestras all that well and the bass is a little soft.  What would be a good earspeaker to upgrade to that would work with this amp? Are any of the new ones a step up?  I'm thinking the SR-307 price wise but should I stretch to the SR-407?

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #20,188 of 24,807
Quote:
okay bought the transformer, everything will be here friday. How do I use the transformer? Where does the amp plug into?

Also, it should come set for 120V on the back, but double check that the switch on the back is set to 120V.

Then plug the amp into the 100V socket on the front.

Piece of  cake.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #20,189 of 24,807
Quote:
New Stax owner here... Yay!!

First time I heard stax was about a decade ago. I have always wanted Stax gear and recently I found the Lambda Signature phones with an SRM-T1 locally for what I think was a good deal.

I just love these things on early music (ie, Jordi Savall or Christopher Hogwood) and small chamber groups.  Female vocals and guitar or piano is just glorious.

They don't handle the big sounds such as orchestras all that well and the bass is a little soft.  What would be a good earspeaker to upgrade to that would work with this amp? Are any of the new ones a step up?  I'm thinking the SR-307 price wise but should I stretch to the SR-407?

Thanks!

I haven't heard the 307 but I own the 407's which I upgraded with the 507 ear pads. From all the research I did before buying, the 407 and the 507 use the same driver but the difference is the headband, ear pads and the cable. Change the ear pads on the 407 and you have the same sound as the 507's for less. I have done a direct comparison and verified for myself that this is true. The reading I have done (and my dealer) claim the driver in the 307's are different. I use my upgraded 407's with the 006t for classical music mostly and I find the combination very good. I listen to a lot of small ensembles and chamber music and and I think it is a great combination with the modified 407's.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #20,190 of 24,807
Quote:
I haven't heard the 307 but I own the 407's which I upgraded with the 507 ear pads. From all the research I did before buying, the 407 and the 507 use the same driver but the difference is the headband, ear pads and the cable. Change the ear pads on the 407 and you have the same sound as the 507's for less. I have done a direct comparison and verified for myself that this is true. The reading I have done (and my dealer) claim the driver in the 307's are different. I use my upgraded 407's with the 006t for classical music mostly and I find the combination very good. I listen to a lot of small ensembles and chamber music and and I think it is a great combination with the modified 407's.

I have the 407's stock. How much difference in sound did the 507 pads make? What is the difference in sound? I am thinking about upgrading mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back