The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #20,191 of 24,807
Quote:

Hi!

It seems very strange to me how your headphones would sound nice and have imbalanced sound later on.  Do you think that they sound equally soft at the beginning and after a while one would sound louder than the other?

Given its age, it's very possible that the coating material has started to degrade.  If you think you can and want to recoat the diaphragm, I can guide you through that.

Wachara C.

Thanks Wachara, yes I agree that it is very strange to have a completely repeatable situation where as one earspeaker sees a signal, it fades out over a few minutes.  That is why I am posting here because I thought that a unique symptom like that would have one definite cause that the experts could point to.  I would have thought that a degraded coating would give a consistently lower volume or at worst case start low and get louder as it acquired more charge.  I think I will have to look up some explanations of the construction and physics of the ear speaker.

I am not eager to try and recoat the diaphram but if that is the answer then I will have to consider it.  The eBay seller has offered me a refund (though I have already bought the extra SRD-6 that I will have to keep) so that is my other option.  How difficult is the recoating process?  Any special skills, talents or equipment needed?

Gratefully yours,
Mark 

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #20,192 of 24,807
Quote:
New Stax owner here... Yay!!

First time I heard stax was about a decade ago. I have always wanted Stax gear and recently I found the Lambda Signature phones with an SRM-T1 locally for what I think was a good deal.

I just love these things on early music (ie, Jordi Savall or Christopher Hogwood) and small chamber groups.  Female vocals and guitar or piano is just glorious.

They don't handle the big sounds such as orchestras all that well and the bass is a little soft.  What would be a good earspeaker to upgrade to that would work with this amp? Are any of the new ones a step up?  I'm thinking the SR-307 price wise but should I stretch to the SR-407?

Thanks!

I think the SR-007 mk I's sound pretty good on the SRM-T1.  The SR-007's have better bass and a more neutral overall sound than the Lambda Signatures. (I own both)

Of course the SR-007's will sound even better on a BHSE, or KGSS / KGSSHV  but they sound quite good on the SRM-T1   SRM-T1  is really quite a respectable amp.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #20,193 of 24,807
Quote:
I have the 407's stock. How much difference in sound did the 507 pads make? What is the difference in sound? I am thinking about upgrading mine.

You get improved bass performance and better instrument separation. This is not a night and day difference but it is clearly audible. You also get more comfortable ear pads. The depth of the leather ear pad is slightly more sallow than the plastic pads. My only complaint about the 407's with either ear pad is the comfort. I find that the ear pads press against my ears rather than comfortably riding around the ear. I could have wished for a bit more depth to the pads to keep them off the ear.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #20,194 of 24,807
Thanks Wachara, yes I agree that it is very strange to have a completely repeatable situation where as one earspeaker sees a signal, it fades out over a few minutes.  That is why I am posting here because I thought that a unique symptom like that would have one definite cause that the experts could point to.  I would have thought that a degraded coating would give a consistently lower volume or at worst case start low and get louder as it acquired more charge.  I think I will have to look up some explanations of the construction and physics of the ear speaker.

I am not eager to try and recoat the diaphram but if that is the answer then I will have to consider it.  The eBay seller has offered me a refund (though I have already bought the extra SRD-6 that I will have to keep) so that is my other option.  How difficult is the recoating process?  Any special skills, talents or equipment needed?

Gratefully yours,
Mark 

The coating is very easy, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to open up your drivers. I like to use anti-static cleaner to coat the diaphragm. The type of cleaner you use for cleaning your computer screen. I bought a small bottle from a local computer store. The gel type works better than liquid or spray type. All you do is to put a tiny drop of anti-static cleaner gel on the diaphragm and wipe the whole surface using a microfiber cloth. Wait till the coating is dried and they're ready to go.

You have to be very careful when working with the drivers. A small dust in there could cause unwanted squeal sound.

Wachara C.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #20,195 of 24,807
Quote:
The coating is very easy, but I'm not sure how difficult it is to open up your drivers. I like to use anti-static cleaner to coat the diaphragm. The type of cleaner you use for cleaning your computer screen. I bought a small bottle from a local computer store. The gel type works better than liquid or spray type. All you do is to put a tiny drop of anti-static cleaner gel on the diaphragm and wipe the whole surface using a microfiber cloth. Wait till the coating is dried and they're ready to go.
You have to be very careful when working with the drivers. A small dust in there could cause unwanted squeal sound.
Wachara C.

Khob khun mark krab! (please forgive my spelling attempt)

I will have a look at the SR-3's when I have a chance this week to figure out how to rip them apart and still be able to reassemble them.  Your warning about the dust is appreciated, there will also be an unwanted squealling sound if I tear one of the diaphrams and it will take hours for my wife to shut me up!

I see that you are from Bangkok, I have had the opportunity to visit Thailand about 8 times.  Once on a family vacation and 7 times on business but business is pleasure when you are in the Land of Smiles.  :)  I've traveled to 53 countries and I tell people that Thailand is my favorite place to go for a vacation and relaxing.  The weather and beaches are nice but it is the people that make it #1 for me.  Your assistance with my problem strengthens my opinion about Thai folks.

Take care,
Mark

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #20,198 of 24,807
I was reading some old posts and I understand that the brown ones are the real leather and the black ones are pleather. I couldn't find any posts on whether placing the black 007a pads on a mk1 changed the sound noticeably or had any difference in comfort.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #20,200 of 24,807
Quote:
I was reading some old posts and I understand that the brown ones are the real leather and the black ones are pleather. I couldn't find any posts on whether placing the black 007a pads on a mk1 changed the sound noticeably or had any difference in comfort.

I see, that's very strange as the black are more expensive and the newer pair, I would have expected the pleather to be cheaper, I have the brown and was wondering what I was missing.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #20,202 of 24,807
Quote:

Khob khun mark krab! (please forgive my spelling attempt)

I will have a look at the SR-3's when I have a chance this week to figure out how to rip them apart and still be able to reassemble them.  Your warning about the dust is appreciated, there will also be an unwanted squealling sound if I tear one of the diaphrams and it will take hours for my wife to shut me up!

I see that you are from Bangkok, I have had the opportunity to visit Thailand about 8 times.  Once on a family vacation and 7 times on business but business is pleasure when you are in the Land of Smiles.  :)  I've traveled to 53 countries and I tell people that Thailand is my favorite place to go for a vacation and relaxing.  The weather and beaches are nice but it is the people that make it #1 for me.  Your assistance with my problem strengthens my opinion about Thai folks.

Take care,
Mark

Sawasdee Krub Khun Mark,

I'm glad to hear that you like Thailand.  Let me know when you'll come again next time.  Let's have a beer together.

Wachara C.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #20,203 of 24,807

It's the other way around

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #20,204 of 24,807
that would make more sense considering the price. But those older posts were from typically reliable posters so I thought they may have been correct which is why I brought it up (it did seem odd, though). 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back