The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #18,271 of 24,807
Quote:
Dammit, I spit milk and cheerios on to my keyboard. Thanks a whole lot.

Lol, more seriously though, aren't there two versions of the extension cable, one that uses the old PC-OCC SR-007 cord, and a newer one that uses Stax's new SPC cord? Or am I wrong? I wouldn't recommend that anyone splice two different types of cables together, that's going to affect the sound.

May 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #18,272 of 24,807
Quote:
Lol, more seriously though, aren't there two versions of the extension cable, one that uses the old PC-OCC SR-007 cord, and a newer one that uses Stax's new SPC cord? Or am I wrong? I wouldn't recommend that anyone splice two different types of cables together, that's going to affect the sound.

Yep, that's accurate.  The older one is pure copper, and the new one is silver-plated copper I think.  As you say, the pure copper is for the 007, and the newer one is for the 009.  I believe they're also color-coordinated (the old one is brown and the new one is black).

May 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #18,273 of 24,807
Quote:

So you're saying the extension cable affects sound quality as much as a change in amplifier does?

I'm 26, by the way.  Am I too young or too old to hear the difference?  Please tell me, I'm dying to know.

It all depends on your zodiac ascendant... 
wink.gif

May 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #18,275 of 24,807
Quote:

Yep, that's accurate.  The older one is pure copper, and the new one is silver-plated copper I think.  As you say, the pure copper is for the 007, and the newer one is for the 009.  I believe they're also color-coordinated (the old one is brown and the new one is black).

You nailed it -- all 100% correct.

May 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #18,276 of 24,807
Quote:
 n3rdling. From your arsenal of cans n gears ,I guess you have done some comparison. Just that I have read the ravings about the latest Lamdas,esp 507 that I want to check the merits of these compared to the older SR Omega. What about The Srm1/mk2 pro with the SR323s? Is there a difference in audible sound quality? ie dynamics,tonal characteristics etc ? Spritzer sees the 323s being one of the best value amps in Stax stable currently on offer. ..but does it match or better the older srm1 solid states amp by Stax ? hope to get feedback from you and the gurus in this forum.Thanks

Sorry, I haven't owned the 323 in the past so I can't really say.  That being said, I'd probably take the 323 since the SRM1's are pretty old and need new caps.

May 10, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #18,277 of 24,807
Quote:
OK, got some more info on Mal Valve: Cost to USA is EUR 3,361 + delivery. They have a few units in stock ready for shipping now, otherwise the next batch will be available in a couple of months. Gonna find out about the electrostatic output shortly.

It looks like the MalValve wont take a pair of 3-pin XLR inputs from balanced dynamic phones (just single-ended 1/4-inch or 4-pin connectors).

May 11, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #18,280 of 24,807
Just heard back from them. Output is off the tubes directly ("as it should be" he added :D)

The Malvalve looks to be a nice unit.  Switchers for all the power supplies.

Can't tell if the electrostatic outputs are a seperate winding on the output
transformers, or directly off the plates of the power tubes. Both would
have significantly different sound signatures.

If they are driven off the plates of the power tubes, this would be similar
to a WES with the inductors replaced by a transformer.

Reminds me of a Mcintosh mc240.

This is not a cheap unit.

May 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #18,284 of 24,807
Quote:
I'd want to know what the voltage swing is before I even considered purchasing one.  Some listening impressions would be nice too.  Any chance of a local Head-Fier getting a demo unit?

OMG (as my daughter would say)..........you're getting a BHSE and still looking at other stuff.  i thought once you're married to an amp you stop that behavior.

May 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #18,285 of 24,807
Quote:
OMG (as my daughter would say)..........you're getting a BHSE and still looking at other stuff.  i thought once you're married to an amp you stop that behavior.

I was going to get the LL by the end of the year anyway.  The Mal Valve is just another option.  Who knows, maybe I'll end up with three stat amps!  
biggrin.gif

It's in my avatar, after all:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back