The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #16,156 of 24,807
Quote:
I've got Lambda Pro Signatures, Lambda Pro, SR-007's as well as Beyer ET-1000's and Koss ESP-950's with Stax cables on them.  I've also got LCD-2's, and you are right- the LCD-2's really have it going on but the Lambda Pro Signature and especially the SR-007 do offer something that the LCD-2's don't have, but also the LCD-2's offer things the Stax don't.  I really got to have them ALL  LOL

The ESP-950's are nice on my Stax SRM-T1 and SRM-1/MK II but I don't know that they really give me anything that the Stax don't.  Well a little more bass "slam" then the Lambda Signatures, and really they are quite good of themselves. But for me they are a bit redundant considering the Stax 'phones I have.  But I had to try them.

My Beyer ET-1000's, something's wrong with them.  A bad driver I suspect. Right channel starts out sounding OK but then after about 1 minute level starts to drop eventually being 15 dB or so below left channel.  Cable is OK (new cable, Stax 6-pin cable) and bias voltage looks OK with my DVM.  I'm afraid it is the driver.  Too bad, too; aside from this serious problem, they sound pretty good.  Different from Stax.

My SR-007's don't sound very good on the T2, and on the SRM-1/MK II they sound good but give me the impression that they could sound MUCH better.... so I am currently building a DIY T2.  Parts I've ordered are starting to come in, but this is going to take a long while, maybe a year.  A complex build.

So how do those two differ?  

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #16,157 of 24,807

Quote:
I'm running my SR-507's with a 323S and am very happy with the combination.   I could spend twice as much on an amp.  Then twice as much again.   It never ends.  

I think the 323S and SR-507 combination is a good place to stop.

Absolutely... a great sounding combo!

Unless you're up for spending many thousands more... it is a superb place to stop.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #16,158 of 24,807
Aug 11, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #16,159 of 24,807

Quote:
I've got Lambda Pro Signatures, Lambda Pro, SR-007's as well as Beyer ET-1000's and Koss ESP-950's with Stax cables on them.  I've also got LCD-2's, and you are right- the LCD-2's really have it going on but the Lambda Pro Signature and especially the SR-007 do offer something that the LCD-2's don't have, but also the LCD-2's offer things the Stax don't.  I really got to have them ALL  LOL

Indeed. That kind of effortless detailing and layering seem exclusive to this type of transducer. Conversely, the LCD2 is better than the 202 and SRM-1/MK2 in its ability to resolve low-level details and convey realistic weight/texture of instruments and voices. The 202 can be TOO light-sounding as in the notes just float there without any foundations and I suppose this is one of the Lambda's weakness that was fixed in the Omega line. Both 007s are better than the LCD2 but of course, more expensive to set up right too. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #16,160 of 24,807

Quote:
I guess you meant the SR007s don't sound good on the T1 :) And yes, I feel it is a bit underpowered even on an SRM-717 which itself is noticeably better than the SRM-1/Mk2 but the O2 717 combo is very very good on its own nevertheless.

Yes  I did mean T1.  I have T2 on the brain.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #16,161 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:

So how do those two differ?  

The Lambda Pro has a 1.5 micron diaphragm and has some damping material behind the driver; the Lambda Pro Signature has the thinnest diaphragm ever used by Stax, at 1 micron, and it has no stuffing in the earcup.

I have both the Lambda Pro and Lambda Pro Signature, and I prefer the Lambda Pro Signature.  With the Lambda Pro Signature I feel there is a greater sense of speed, and to my ears the bass is also better- a little deeper with more impact.  I don't like the treble peak of the  Lambda Pro Signature, so I usually employ a little EQ to tame it.  

Having both is a bit redundant.  I will be selling the Lambda Pro's once I refurbish them with new earpads, with the new cloth "grille cloth" over the metal screen that protects the drivers in the earcup.  I'll probably also sell the Koss 950's.  If I didn't have the Lambda Pro Signatures, I'd keep the Koss.  The two sound similar, with the Koss having a little richer midrange and more bass impact.  My Koss ESP-950's have a Stax 5 pin cable, and before I sell them I want to make a Stax-to-Koss  adapter so the Koss can be used with their Koss amplifier if desired.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #16,163 of 24,807
Got my normal bias lambdas with .25 mylar drivers. They had stuffing in them so I removed that. Too hot. Sound is more taunt than the Lambda Normals. Midrange is more pronounced maybe. Bass is tight, tight. Oh, highs are a bit rolled off and the sound stage is not as airy as stock.

The SRD-7B is BEGGING to be rewired. It has the original bits. Not cool. I remember the SRD7 I got from spritzer. I wish I could redo mine to those specs. No experience with soldering though. Guess I have to learn. I know that I could get a lot more out of this setup if I could improve the flow.

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #16,164 of 24,807
I did a lot more listening tonight to my O2 Mk1 and HE-60 through my WES and KGSS amps, and I think I still prefer the HE-60 a little over my O2 Mk1.  If the SR-009 really are a little brighter than the O2 Mk1 then I'm pretty sure I wont have a problem with using either amp with SR-009, since the HE-60 are brighter than O2 Mk1 and still do well with either amp. So I might start giving more thought to the SR-009 replacing my 007 at some point. Right now I think the price is just too crazy high, but I'm hoping to see lower prices later on.

Even with the extra power and crispness of the KGSS the O2 still sound a little dark vs other phones.  I've posted before that I think the O2 Mk1 remind me a little of the LCD-2 v1, but my Silver Dragon cabled LCD-2 through my ZDT amp have the advantage of more bass impact and dynamics than the O2/KGSS combo.  If the O2 Mk1 are the first headphone I listen to in the day I think they sound just right, but then I switch to another headphone and the air and ambience pop out and the sound seems more transparent to me, especially with the HE-60.  I've seen people reporting similar things when they compare the SR-009 to the SR-007, and I wonder if anyone has compared a re-terminated HE-60 to the SR-009 yet?

It could just be my 49 year old ears, but since I can't get my high frequency hearing back I may be stuck staying with brighter headphones from now on.  I might even consider selling my V1 LCD-2 for a V2 someday, but the re-cable and upgraded transformers in my ZDT amp really helped a lot with them.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #16,165 of 24,807
I hope by the time my hearing really fades, we can get go go gadget ears. If you get that reference, you might need them. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #16,166 of 24,807
Has anyone ever done an alternative earpad for the lambdas? The leather is just sweat city. Even after taking the foam out.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #16,170 of 24,807
This is probably beyond the scope of this thread, but I'll ask anyway.

I have a couple of Audio-Gd DACs with ACSS output (current-mode signal scheme, basically the same as Krell CAST) - 

I am building a DIY SRM-T2.... and wonder if there is a way to add ACSS input.  I will write Audio-Gd I suppose, to see if they have any "input modules" etc available, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back