The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #16,141 of 24,807

Quote:
For those of you with Lambda Pros, does anyone have ideas on how the driver protection works? I removed the deteriorating foam inside the pads but I'm not sure how well the driver is protected from hair, dust, and other junk. There's the mesh screen which works against larger things but for smaller stuff, I'm not sure. Is the metal plate I see the stator, or is it some sort of protecting plate?

The mesh is a protecting plate, behind that is the PVC cover which encases the front and rear of the driver from dust and hair.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #16,142 of 24,807
I am currently running a pair of SR404 Signatures from an SRM-3 and overall I am very happy with the setup but I have a niggle feeling that the SRM-3 is letting the side down. Would I hear some vast improvements in upgrading the energizer if so any recommendations on which is a good match for the SR-404's.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #16,143 of 24,807

Quote:
I am wondering to know the difference between the GES and BHSE and which is more suitable for SR-507. Is 507 really need an 1.5K AMP like GES or SRM-600LTD? Or BHSE is really good enough for SR-507? Thank you!

Er.. the BHSE is a $5,000 flagship amp, and there's a year long plus wait on it. It sounds like you're thinking it's more affordable than the GES or SRM-600? The $1248.75 is only a down payment, you need to make four of those. You don't need all that much to drive the SR-507 well. The $900 SRM-323S will work just fine, as will the $1400 SRM-006TS. You only need the big guns on the SR-007 and to a lesser extent the 009.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #16,144 of 24,807

Quote:
Er.. the BHSE is a $5,000 flagship amp, and there's a year long plus wait on it. It sounds like you're thinking it's more affordable than the GES or SRM-600? The $1248.75 is only a down payment, you need to make four of those. You don't need all that much to drive the SR-507 well. The $900 SRM-323S will work just fine, as will the $1400 SRM-006TS. You only need the big guns on the SR-007 and to a lesser extent the 009.

I'm running my SR-507's with a 323S and am very happy with the combination.   I could spend twice as much on an amp.  Then twice as much again.   It never ends.  

I think the 323S and SR-507 combination is a good place to stop.

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #16,149 of 24,807

Quote:
I am currently running a pair of SR404 Signatures from an SRM-3 and overall I am very happy with the setup but I have a niggle feeling that the SRM-3 is letting the side down. Would I hear some vast improvements in upgrading the energizer if so any recommendations on which is a good match for the SR-404's.

I have a 404 and  had 2 SRM3's one of which I sold for an older SRM1Mk2. 

The problem with the  SRM 3 and most of Stax amps of that period is that it has a lower maximum  voltage swing (300 volts) than the older SRM1 (370) and I believe this results in a lack of dynamics (i.e. drive, bounce, prat) with the SRM 3. At that time,  Stax lowered the voltage swing on many of its amps, but has more recently moved it up again on its transistor amps.  This the new SRM3S runs 400, the 717 and newer 727II run 450 volts.

You might want to try the SRM1Mk2 to see if this gives you a  better sound.  Most come with a high and low bias socket but the last model, the PP, had 2 high bias sockets.  You could still run 2 404's from a single socket but would need an adapter.  I picked up my  current 2 SRM1 MkII's for under $400 each a year or  2 back.    Many people recommend a servicing, especially to replace the electrolytic capacitors. My amps seemed fine in spite of their advancing age, not quite up to the 717, but not obviously deficient.

I should also say that you could try using a better grade power cord on the SRM3.  That helped mine quite a bit.  I also try to have the Stax amps plugged directly into the wall rather than go through a power strip. 

The 404, unlike the 007, is sufficiently efficient that it does not demand a higher power amp.  Still, I think you will find that it is helped by the etxra voltage swing. The mega amps such as the BHSE provide even more.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #16,153 of 24,807
I currently have the SR-202 and SRM-1/MK2 in my possession and I love every minute of it. Granted, it's pretty much a mid-to-low tier STAX but there are certain things that you cannot get in other types of transducers which I dare say, even missing in the LCD2/Beta22 combination. I seem to have a niggling comfort issue as the earpad is a little too small for my earlobes but the light weight is a welcome change from the Audez'e LCD2. 

Now let's see if I can borrow an SRD-7 which I want to connect to the speaker taps of my Beta22. I wonder whether it will be an improvement from the SRM-1/MK2? 

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #16,154 of 24,807
I've got Lambda Pro Signatures, Lambda Pro, SR-007's as well as Beyer ET-1000's and Koss ESP-950's with Stax cables on them.  I've also got LCD-2's, and you are right- the LCD-2's really have it going on but the Lambda Pro Signature and especially the SR-007 do offer something that the LCD-2's don't have, but also the LCD-2's offer things the Stax don't.  I really got to have them ALL  LOL

The ESP-950's are nice on my Stax SRM-T1 and SRM-1/MK II but I don't know that they really give me anything that the Stax don't.  Well a little more bass "slam" than the Lambda Signatures, and really they are quite good of themselves. But for me they are a bit redundant considering the Stax 'phones I have.  But I had to try them.

My Beyer ET-1000's, something's wrong with them.  A bad driver I suspect. Right channel starts out sounding OK but then after about 1 minute level starts to drop eventually being 15 dB or so below left channel.  Cable is OK (new cable, Stax 6-pin cable) and bias voltage looks OK with my DVM.  I'm afraid it is the driver.  Too bad, too; aside from this serious problem, they sound pretty good.  Different from Stax.

My SR-007's don't sound very good on the T2  [EGAD!  correction: I meant the T1 ], and on the SRM-1/MK II they sound good but give me the impression that they could sound MUCH better.... so I am currently building a DIY T2.  Parts I've ordered are starting to come in, but this is going to take a long while, maybe a year.  A complex build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back