The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead.
Jun 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #8,146 of 9,235
Quote:
I have had a few etys, and a large number of other iem's. My isolation test is mowing the lawn, and I've tried many iem's and compared to ety's, and nothing is as good at letting me mow and listen to musc.

Yea etys seems like the way to go.
But if i go with etymotic it'll be the ER4, which i dont have the money because Ive spent all my money on a little dot
atsmile.gif

Anyways, i found another pretty good deal
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-1R-Premium-Over-The-Head-Headphone-Silver-/321135976299?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ac5321f6b

Sony 1R for $219+free shipping
Hmmm wonder why sony products are so cheap on ebay...

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #8,147 of 9,235
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
sinquito, how are the isolation on those? I need something cheap for airplane travel so I might as well buy a pair too if thier good. Sq is probably the last thing that comes to mind.

The isolation is really good, the best out of all the XBA series, they are small so they can get very far into you ear, but if you want isolation I guess you are better off with any etymotic (I haven't used one but read that those are best besides customs).

I have had a few etys, and a large number of other iem's. My isolation test is mowing the lawn, and I've tried many iem's and compared to ety's, and nothing is as good at letting me mow and listen to musc.

One that doesn't get much love, but that I like, is the MeElectric A161p, a nice sounding iem (the 151's ain't bad either, and cheaper), and one that just passed my lawn mower test. I used them for a mowing, had my Ety's with me, which I almost always wind up changing to because too much noise gets through the other iem's, but I never had to take the A161p's out!
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #8,148 of 9,235
Quote:
One that doesn't get much love, but that I like, is the MeElectric A161p, a nice sounding iem (the 151's ain't bad either, and cheaper), and one that just passed my lawn mower test. I used them for a mowing, had my Ety's with me, which I almost always wind up changing to because too much noise gets through the other iem's, but I never had to take the A161p's out!
ksc75smile.gif

the 151's are definitely a good allrounder and an excellent value...still $39.99 at Newegg (thanks, qwertasdfg24) and have been as low as $29.99 at BestBuy within the last two months.

Dr. are the 161's worth getting if you have the 151's (also have Ety's and TF10's)?  I was looking at X10, CKN70, XBA3, or B2 as next purchase but would consider 161's if they're different enough in sound signature (or quality) from the 151's

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #8,149 of 9,235
Quote:

the 151's are definitely a good allrounder and an excellent value...still $39.99 at Newegg (thanks, qwertasdfg24) and have been as low as $29.99 at BestBuy within the last two months.

Dr. are the 161's worth getting if you have the 151's (also have Ety's and TF10's)?  I was looking at X10, CKN70, XBA3, or B2 as next purchase but would consider 161's if they're different enough in sound signature (or quality) from the 151's

Actually, what I would like to see is a comparison of the a151 to the xba1, because both have one BA, and both are around the same price. Comparing the xba1 to the a161 would also be interesting.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #8,150 of 9,235
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, what I would like to see is a comparison of the a151 to the xba1, because both have one BA, and both are around the same price. Comparing the xba1 to the a161 would also be interesting.

fTried to post earlier using phone/Tapatalk, not cooperating for some reason. Anyway, I was saying that the I don't do so well comparing iem's by memory, best for me to have them both available. Having said that, I had to 151's, then got the 161 when it was on a good special (MeElectronics has deals often), and I gave my 2 151's to my teen daughters (they love them). Having given the disclaimer, my recollection is that the 161 is better sounding than the 151, (which I like), smoother, more detail, more refined. I'll see if I can borrow one of ther 151's so I can directly compare them. Actually do  have the iem's mentioned, the x-10, CKN70, XBA3 and B2. I'd say I have trouble with theX-10's and the TF10's, difficult to get a good comfortable fit for me, and, the TF10's stick out and feel wierd when you do get them in. The X-10 is tiny, can get a decent fit with them, haven't listened to the for a while and would need to take (when I have) some timeto directly compare them to some other iem's, but I did like them a while back. I really like the CKN70; again, haven't done a head to  head with the 161, but they are bold, good bass, midrange still full/rich, some people find them tizzy on the high end, I guess it depends on how sensitive one is to that stuff, never bothered me. XBA3, which can also be had at good prices these days, are another iem I like-bass not as strong as CKN70, but not MIA, and do like the full rich midrange, and good imaging on these babies. Don't have much spare time, usually listen to 1 pain of iem's when I go to bed (when the TF10's feel like they will skewer me), which doesn't' lend to head to head comparisons, but if I have some time one night during the week or (more likely) on the weekend, I'll try to listen to a few and compare.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #8,153 of 9,235
thanks...will probably get the 161 or the CKN70 then.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #8,156 of 9,235
Jun 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #8,157 of 9,235
Jun 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #8,160 of 9,235
Quote:
Is this worth it for 110? I am looking for a good IEM and I can't find a price any cheaper than this price for the Brainwavz B2.

I think yes. I own the Rockit R-50 and a friend of mine owns the B2. I compared the two pretty loosely but overall I got the impression they sound pretty much the same and I very much like that neutral, clear sound.
With regards to build quality and accessories the B2 is superior, as they get a pair of comply foam tips with them and most importantly they don't have the silly memory wire the R-50s have, which a lot of people find uncomfortable.
On the other hand you can get the R-50 for $120 and shipped immediately, so it's a tough call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back