The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead.
Dec 29, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #7,066 of 9,235
Fair is fair. After all the Groupon griping that took place a few pages back, the XBA-3iP arrived today from the Groupon deal ($136 shipped). I ordered them on Dec. 11 and they made it in 18 days, or 2.5 weeks as the offer's "fine print" said. Oh ye of little faith, so let me be the first to say Groupon came through. They were sent by UPS to USPS (yes, it's called Smart Ship) and the mail person dropped them off today. The Sony box had slight damage on the corner, but they were only packaged in a padded envelope, not in an outer box a la Amazon.

They appear to be new, with the original seal. They were a bit disheveled, but I doubt the box had been opened before. Not used, which could be a possibility (an open box-type deal) with sales like these.

As for sound, this isn't the place. Short version, I really like what I am hearing with the iPhone 5. A knockout for $136 no doubt. Worth $329 (original price) or even $212 on Amazon? Tough to say, because once you get them much cheaper (TF10, Monster Trumpet), it's hard to imagine paying substantially more. They should have a word for that (how difficult it is to say something is worth more if you get them at a steal).

Okay, enough rambling. Groupon, I apologize. Whether or not the few rumbles here on Head-Fi helped grease the skids we will never know. But they delivered and on time. Now just hope the XBA-3iP has some durability. Not sure Sony would cover them under their already pathetic 90-day warranty.

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #7,067 of 9,235
Quote:
Fair is fair. After all the Groupon griping that took place a few pages back, the XBA-3iP arrived today from the Groupon deal ($136 shipped). I ordered them on Dec. 11 and they made it in 18 days, or 2.5 weeks as the offer's "fine print" said. Oh ye of little faith, so let me be the first to say Groupon came through. They were sent by UPS to USPS (yes, it's called Smart Ship) and the mail person dropped them off today. The Sony box had slight damage on the corner, but they were only packaged in a padded envelope, not in an outer box a la Amazon.

They appear to be new, with the original seal. They were a bit disheveled, but I doubt the box had been opened before. Not used, which could be a possibility (an open box-type deal) with sales like these.

As for sound, this isn't the place. Short version, I really like what I am hearing with the iPhone 5. A knockout for $136 no doubt. Worth $329 (original price) or even $212 on Amazon? Tough to say, because once you get them much cheaper (TF10, Monster Trumpet), it's hard to imagine paying substantially more. They should have a word for that (how difficult it is to say something is worth more if you get them at a steal).

Okay, enough rambling. Groupon, I apologize. Whether or not the few rumbles here on Head-Fi helped grease the skids we will never know. But they delivered and on time. Now just hope the XBA-3iP has some durability. Not sure Sony would cover them under their already pathetic 90-day warranty.

Wow, that's exactly the condition my XBA-3iP came in today. Box was ripped in the corners like someone wanted to open it but didn't know how. The headphones were OK and brand new, but it's definitely not resellable. Maybe Groupon got a bunch of these with messed up boxes in bulk on a discount. Or maybe they did it themselves so we can't resell it. Who knows. Mine was also shipped first from UPS to USPS and then they delivered it to my mailbox. Weird way to deliver goods.

I'm burning them in now with FLAC files. Sounds very good out of the box, but the highs are a little too piercing. Very comfortable and easy to fit in ears. Will do a comparison in the XBA-3 Appreciation thread with my TF10 and Miles Davis Tributes, once they're properly burnt-in.... http://www.head-fi.org/t/633755/xba-3-overlooked-the-appreciation-thread

Even though the goods were delivered and the price was good, I'm probably never buying from Groupon again. Super slow delivery, despite the fine print, and the box looked like a dog was trying to eat it. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #7,068 of 9,235
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 4 - for $45.60 - New from Amazon - pretty damned good price for a BA IEM... Not sure if they are any good - but that is a good price.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-SuperFi-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B000Y8Y8FG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356829573&sr=1-1&keywords=superfi4

Dec 29, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #7,070 of 9,235
Got my Groupon Sony's today too, took pretty much what the fine print said it could, didn't find anything wrong with the packaging or the headphones themselves, the damaged package doesn't seem to be universal. Maybe, as someone mentioned, a result of the mailing packaging.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #7,071 of 9,235
Yeah, and no reason you can't resell them without the box as used IEMs. My box was not that bad either, just one corner was a bit "bruised." As far as burning them in properly, being BAs burn-in is really not very needed, even 24 hours at most. So doubt they will change. I am not hearing any sibiance beyond songs that typically are sibilant.

Anyway, this isn't the thread for reviews, just for deals. I think the $136 deal was excellent. It's over now and I'm glad I bought them.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #7,072 of 9,235
Quote:
Audiofly AF78  w/mic $83.79 on AMAZON (cheapest ever)

Wonder if Audiofly can price match the Amazon price if I order directly through them in Australia... Email sent regardless!

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #7,078 of 9,235
Wow, that's exactly the condition my XBA-3iP came in today. Box was ripped in the corners like someone wanted to open it but didn't know how. The headphones were OK and brand new, but it's definitely not resellable. Maybe Groupon got a bunch of these with messed up boxes in bulk on a discount. Or maybe they did it themselves so we can't resell it. Who knows. Mine was also shipped first from UPS to USPS and then they delivered it to my mailbox. Weird way to deliver goods.

I'm burning them in now with FLAC files. Sounds very good out of the box, but the highs are a little too piercing. Very comfortable and easy to fit in ears. Will do a comparison in the XBA-3 Appreciation thread with my TF10 and Miles Davis Tributes, once they're properly burnt-in.... http://www.head-fi.org/t/633755/xba-3-overlooked-the-appreciation-thread

Even though the goods were delivered and the price was good, I'm probably never buying from Groupon again. Super slow delivery, despite the fine print, and the box looked like a dog was trying to eat it. 

Wow, mine came today as well. When I opened up the package, the box was a little torn up on the sides, but it doesn't look like they were open box. This is my first multi BA and all I can say is there're definitely worth the $129 I paid for them. Groupon was actually helpful when I called them up and asked about where these were. The soundstage and fit on these are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back