The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 28, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #12,691 of 19,652
Given that you have files showing up on the X5 that don't show up on your laptop I'd guess you are on a Mac or you have files being hidden on your Windows OS, which is quite common. It would help to troubleshoot if we knew what OS you were running.

Thanks for responding. First, I am not using a Mac, but a laptop pc. Second, since I've reformatted my cards, I'm no longer getting that bogus .fla page, thank goodness but another problem came up which I mentioned. After experimenting a bit, I believe I have somewhat mitigated the problem of the same file appearing in all the others. What I found out is that if I ejected the F2 card, the F1 card and left the other slot empty, I got it to work right but maybe the other card has that problem file that causes the X5 to get stuck when it tries to update the card. I'm not going to use the F2 slot for a while and don't really need it right now anyway.
So, the problem remains, how do I find the troublesome file(s)? Like I mentioned earlier, the update gets stuck at 1306, so maybe there's an error in the idtag. How do I find that one, when it doesn't show up in my pc laptop?

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #12,692 of 19,652
  Thanks for responding. First, I am not using a Mac, but a laptop pc. Second, since I've reformatted my cards, I'm no longer getting that bogus .fla page, thank goodness but another problem came up which I mentioned. After experimenting a bit, I believe I have somewhat mitigated the problem of the same file appearing in all the others. What I found out is that if I ejected the F2 card, the F1 card and re-updated the other, I got it to work right but maybe the other card has that problem file that causes the X5 to get stuck when it tries to update the card.
So, the problem remains, how do I find the troublesome file(s)?

The best option is to remove half of the files from the offending card (but keep them - i.e. copy them to another location) and see if the problem remains. It the problem remains then your issue is in the batch of files still on the card. If the problem is gone then you need to work on the batch you moved to another location.

With the batch that contains the error you then halve it again and you keep halving each time until you find the culprit. It sounds like a lot of work, but it actually won't take that long. Just remember each time you move half the files to keep those files separate in case the error is in the moved half and not the half you leave on the TF card - in other words, don't merge the second batch you move with the first batch you moved (see above) until you are sure that the error is still residing on the TF card. Once you know the erroneous file is still on the TF card, THEN you can merge the files you've moved elsewhere.

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #12,693 of 19,652

The best option is to remove half of the files from the offending card (but keep them - i.e. copy them to another location) and see if the problem remains. It the problem remains then your issue is in the batch of files still on the card. If the problem is gone then you need to work on the batch you moved to another location.

With the batch that contains the error you then halve it again and you keep halving each time until you find the culprit. It sounds like a lot of work, but it actually won't take that long. Just remember each time you move half the files to keep those files separate in case the error is in the moved half and not the half you leave on the TF card - in other words, don't merge the second batch you move with the first batch you moved (see above) until you are sure that the error is still residing on the TF card. Once you know the erroneous file is still on the TF card, THEN you can merge the files you've moved elsewhere.

Excellent strategy, Loqua!

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #12,694 of 19,652
Hope so.  I bought it hoping for better sound (without my C5 amp if possible, with it if not), and for its ability to play DSD/DFF files (got a bunch).  But I keep seeing posts about how it is only playing them in 24/88, which is a bit of a bummer.  I've down sampled them to 24/176 to play in my DX50 and they sound great.  Was hoping to use the original DSD/DFFs and gain back a bit of quality I might be losing in the downsampling.  Guess I'll be able to see (hear) for myself tomorrow.  Does the X5 display sample rates while playing files as does the DX50?  Also reading here that some 24 bit files stutter.  Hope not, as I've got quite a few.  

I didn't tell my wife I bought it, but she gets plenty of things for herself so I really don't care about whether she "approves.".  
normal_smile%20.gif

I'm going to use the DX50 in my classroom, I've got an amp and speakers she got for me years ago that I can plug it in to.  I've gotten tired of using my iPhone to play music and having to unplug it if I leave the room and want to have the phone on me (trust me, as a teacher I WANT the phone on me).  

Any differences in it from the DX50 I need to know about?  Or just put my cards in, let them load, and go for it.

It will take some getting used to but so does anything else new. It will show the Res for the first few seconds when switching from one song to the next. You might want to try/sample the E12 with it, to me and many others it goes really nicely together.

I also down loaded all of the songs that I had on my 64gb card to a folder on my computer than formatted the card in the X5 itself than reloaded the card. Since I did this I have hadzero issues no freezes and everything is great. When I had the DX50 I had many freezes.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #12,697 of 19,652
  Hope so.  I bought it hoping for better sound (without my C5 amp if possible, with it if not), and for its ability to play DSD/DFF files (got a bunch).  But I keep seeing posts about how it is only playing them in 24/88, which is a bit of a bummer.  I've down sampled them to 24/176 to play in my DX50 and they sound great.  Was hoping to use the original DSD/DFFs and gain back a bit of quality I might be losing in the downsampling.  Guess I'll be able to see (hear) for myself tomorrow.  Does the X5 display sample rates while playing files as does the DX50?  Also reading here that some 24 bit files stutter.  Hope not, as I've got quite a few.  

I didn't tell my wife I bought it, but she gets plenty of things for herself so I really don't care about whether she "approves.".  
normal_smile .gif

I'm going to use the DX50 in my classroom, I've got an amp and speakers she got for me years ago that I can plug it in to.  I've gotten tired of using my iPhone to play music and having to unplug it if I leave the room and want to have the phone on me (trust me, as a teacher I WANT the phone on me).  

Any differences in it from the DX50 I need to know about?  Or just put my cards in, let them load, and go for it.

Hey olddude, remember you from the DX50 thread were my HF journey started...

Hoping for better sound? To my ears absolutely an upgrade in SQ over the DX50 (I've sold it recently). First I bought a DX90, later on I stumbled on a great deal for a 2nd hand X5 (incl 2x 64gb msd) and for the last few weeks I've mostly used the X5. It's a teriffic & beautiful designed player.
I honestly think your C5 will not be needed anymore. The only exception that makes me reach for an extra amp is when I want to listen to it with my LCD2. With all other headphones / iem's there's not much to gain imo.
Stuttering 24bit files? Never had this issue with any player before.
One great advantage from the X5 over the DX50/90 is that scanning files goes much faster. Were my DX90 takes around 50 minutes to scan all my (± 10.000) files, the X5 is ready within 2 minutes.
Besides that it's nice to have an extra msd slot. Battery life is about the same as with DX50 (and double of DX90), but charging it takes longer. Last but not least: beware of the line out! There's no volume control (as with the DX50) and could cause serious damage to your ears when you plug in your iem by accident...

Hope you'll enjoy it just as much as I (& I guess almost everybody else in this thread) do...
beerchug.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #12,698 of 19,652
Windows RT doesn't support the X5 DAC Download from the FiiO site (RT will not allow for .exe files to execute). Can't find an app in the Windows Store either. I intended to record a stream from my Windows tablet -> X5 DAC -> Windows EEE PC using Audacity recorder. Any ideas? Thanks !

@James/@Joe any chance of getting an app for X5 USB in the Windows app store? I know this isn't first priority, but would be really nice 

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #12,700 of 19,652
I got mine from ProAudio (see link above) on Saturday, should be here today (free Prime offer for a month).  

"Last but not least: beware of the line out! There's no volume control (as with the DX50) and could cause serious damage to your ears when you plug in your iem by accident..."

Been there, done that with the DX50, which I ran at full volume through LO for my amp.  I bought caps (plugs)  for the empty holes in all of my devices.

As for stufftering with 24/x files, I read here some comments about it.  Don't expect it, but have a slight concern.  Glad to hear you have no issues.

Scanning a 64gb card in the DX50 took about 5 minutes for me, each time.  Sounds like the X5 is even faster.

Looking forward to its arrival, playtime soon.  
L3000.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #12,701 of 19,652
Hey do you guys have this problem at all? Some artists don't show up under the artist category (or only one album will,) I've added music and redid the manual update and some artists that previously didn't show up were now there, and others that were there are now gone. All my tags seem to be in order. Is this a known issue or is there any way I can resolve this?

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #12,702 of 19,652
Can i use my iphone5 usb power plug to charge my X5 ? I did not know it did not come with one. thanks

The plug as in the USB outlet charger (the cube) ?? Yes, you can plug the included charging cable into that. If you mean the IPhone lightening cable, then no obviously.

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #12,703 of 19,652
Update on new firmware:

Critical problem: Gapless no longer works -- we're back to where we were in the earliest versions.  Though breaking the 5800 file limit is great and works well for me, true gapless is a "make or break" for me.  I'm going to have to restore to an earlier version.

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #12,704 of 19,652
With 2.31b, I reflashed firmware and reset to factory settings and tried playing some FLAC tracks before scanning the media library (ie, via file browsing) and still have the issue where playback stops after the first song and the X5 has to be reset before I can use it again. This is really annoying and I haven't heard anyone else confirm it. Nobody else has this problem?

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #12,705 of 19,652
@ptravel
Breaking the 5.800 limit is great indeed. But it didn't work well for me because when I used shuffle mode in the ''All songs'' section, the same songs in the same order kept coming by every time I started the X5 up. It frustrated me so much that I went back to FW2.2 today. Glad to be back
biggrin.gif

@nmatheis
Haven't noticed this. I played some flac tracks (16 & 24bit), but probably not till the end. Have you tried after scanning if the same issue still occurred on your X5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back