The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 30, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #12,722 of 19,652
darthsmile.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #12,724 of 19,652
So you spent roughly 1000 dollars without your wife knowing? Impressive. I think my wife would kill me if she found out. I have a pair of HE400i from a tour that I trying to convince her that I NEED. Good luck!

been out of town, and will just have the chance to play with the x5 today once I bought a sd card lol..

I said to myself that these are the last items I will buy because priorities will change next year (baby).  When she finds out (which I think she will), this is the reason I will tell her haha.  Actually I need one more item, a porta amp for the he-560 that will pair greatly with the x5.

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #12,725 of 19,652
  I'm really enjoying the X5 I got today.  Reformatted my cards, put the files back on, set up the player, and updated from 2.0 to 2.2.0.  Sounds great (using both 2.0 and 2.2.0), much better (and different) than my DX50.  I use it on walks only, and the amount of power it's putting out is more than enough to give me great sound without an amp, much better than my DX50 with a JDS C5 amp (didn't like the DX50 unamped).  Bass is superior, though I'm having to get used to how bright it seems on some files.  Not shrill, but bright.  Learning curve wasn't bad at all.  Glad I upgraded to it.

Congratulations olddude (Great Lebowski is still one of my favourite movies, Coen brothers are solid gold!) with your new X5. Glad you like it!

Don't forget the DX50 has the Wolfson WM8740 chip inside (have it also in my Cambridge amplifier at home), that's known for it's warm signature. So maybe that's why the more neutral sound of the X5 strikes you as a ''bright sound''.
Btw, the sound of my DX90 became much better after ± 400 hours burn-in time. iBasso included even a burn-in cable for that proces. I don't know if the sound of the X5 changes / gets better after some time, because mine was allready 3 months old & used when I bought it.
Just curious, anybody out there who knows if the X5 also needs burn-in time?

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #12,726 of 19,652
  Just curious, anybody out there who knows if the X5 also needs burn-in time?

If you expect that it will improve after burn-in, then you'll probably swear that it does.  If (like me) you expect no real change, then you're unlikely to hear any.

Mine hasn't changed audibly (to me anyway) since I got it.

Depending on your expectations, YMMV.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #12,728 of 19,652
Big Lebowski
tongue.gif

You're totally right!

Over here (EU) it was early when I typed it, had some stress in the morning to get my 2 kids in school on time and didn't drink enough coffee (braindead/zombiestyle) before that moment....
How's that for an excuse? My sincere appologies to Joel & Ethan though
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #12,729 of 19,652
Yeah for sure there is a sound change in my unit, when I first opened the box,the x5's treble had a harsher tone that disappeared after a while, also the bass seems to have opened up after serval 100 hours. The biggest improvement is the sound stage seems much wider now. I'm liking the x5 Much more now.

Now this could be my brain adapting to the x5 and what it can do, but I think burn in is very real.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #12,730 of 19,652
Yeah for sure there is a sound change in my unit, when I first opened the box,the x5's treble had a harsher tone that disappeared after a while, also the bass seems to have opened up after serval 100 hours. The biggest improvement is the sound stage seems much wider now. I'm liking the x5 Much more now.

Now this could be my brain adapting to the x5 and what it can do, but I think burn in is very real.

I agree that the X5 improved with time, but I'm not a believer in burn-in of all things - just capacitors (which the X5 has) and dynamic drivers.

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #12,732 of 19,652

Agree with this sentiment, but which IEMs are you looking at? Perhaps we can add to the temptation seeing as that's what Head-Fi seems to exist for...

Thank you so much for offering to add to my sickness...lol. In the spirit of "some are sicker than others..." I've got a pair of 846's coming...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #12,733 of 19,652
  I'm really enjoying the X5 I got today.  Reformatted my cards, put the files back on, set up the player, and updated from 2.0 to 2.2.0.  Sounds great (using both 2.0 and 2.2.0), much better (and different) than my DX50.  I use it on walks only, and the amount of power it's putting out is more than enough to give me great sound without an amp, much better than my DX50 with a JDS C5 amp (didn't like the DX50 unamped).  Bass is superior, though I'm having to get used to how bright it seems on some files.  Not shrill, but bright.  Learning curve wasn't bad at all.  Glad I upgraded to it.

Congrats!!! My college work will suffer much over the next few days after picking mine up this morning...lol

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #12,734 of 19,652

Congrats!!! My college work will suffer much over the next few days after picking mine up this morning...lol

There goes another career, up in smoke...
Anyway, the titel Headphoneus Supremus will look nice on your Curriculum Vitae in the future
biggrin.gif

Enjoy your X5!

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #12,735 of 19,652
Number one mental health issue affecting our little community: complete lack of impulse control!

Step one is recognising the problem, right? I'm at the "acceptance" state. I spent money on audio and i don't feel bad for it :p

Windows RT doesn't support the X5 DAC Download from the FiiO site (RT will not allow for .exe files to execute). Can't find an app in the Windows Store either. I intended to record a stream from my Windows tablet -> X5 DAC -> Windows EEE PC using Audacity recorder. Any ideas? Thanks !

@James/@Joe any chance of getting an app for X5 USB in the Windows app store? I know this isn't first priority, but would be really nice 

Windows RT isn't x86 or x64 based, which means that it can't run the normal programs as on a normal PC. It's such a niche, that i doubt that someone will create working programs for it. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back