The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 30, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #12,736 of 19,652
I expect the sound to change as I listen to/use the X5.  Whether it's my ears/brain adapting or it burning in, who knows?  But I figure after a few days of use the "bright" will seem a bit less.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #12,737 of 19,652
I expect the sound to change as I listen to/use the X5.  Whether it's my ears/brain adapting or it burning in, who knows?  But I figure after a few days of use the "bright" will seem a bit less.

The human mind adapts very quickly :wink:

OT: you know i bought a rug for my room, as a sort of homage to The Big Lebowski?

And it's true. It really DOES tie the room together.

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #12,739 of 19,652
Well, let's get back to topic!!!

Opinions are like X5's. Everybody's got one...

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #12,740 of 19,652
You're totally right!

Over here (EU) it was early when I typed it, had some stress in the morning to get my 2 kids in school on time and didn't drink enough coffee (braindead/zombiestyle) before that moment....

How's that for an excuse? My sincere appologies to Joel & Ethan though :D

I would also have accepted "I was trying to comment on the greatness to the film" :)

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #12,742 of 19,652
Windows RT isn't x86 or x64 based, which means that it can't run the normal programs as on a normal PC. It's such a niche, that i doubt that someone will create working programs for it. Sorry.

Thanks for chiming in CH23. Actually I was hoping it would be @FiiO to reply and tell they would at least consider making a RT app due to increasing number of MS 8.1 devices in EU, India etc. Don't want another software platform debate in this thread, so I'll just wait on FiiO's decision. I do think adding an app to the Windows Store could lead to other opportunities as well. Now there is no app so I can't enable the X5 USB DAC for any of my devices :frowning2:

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #12,744 of 19,652
Thanks for chiming in CH23. Actually I was hoping it would be @FiiO to reply and tell they would at least consider making a RT app due to increasing number of MS 8.1 devices in EU, India etc. Don't want another software platform debate in this thread, so I'll just wait on FiiO's decision. I do think adding an app to the Windows Store could lead to other opportunities as well. Now there is no app so I can't enable the X5 USB DAC for any of my devices :frowning2:

Windows RT is not window 8.x. It looks the same, and the front functions the same, but the programs on it aren't the same. I believe microsoft has already halted their RT products.

Wish i could help you more, but i have 0 experience with RT...

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #12,745 of 19,652
OK...so the UI is fairly straight forward out of the box. I updated the FW to 2.2 and verified the install. I did a couple of drag and drops just to get a feel for how things work. MP3 256 sounds great. The same song as a WAV was spooky incredible, though it may just have been that I really didn't A/B them.
I had started ripping my CD's to WAV files. I don't know that I'll load enough music to fill a 64GB card right away, so I may leave them WAV's unless there's a way to convert to 320 easilly from one format to another. I was wondering what others are doing? I could just rip everything down to 320, but the original intent was to have everything stored as lossless and convert as needed.

Thanks!

Walt

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #12,746 of 19,652
dbpoweramp great ripper and converter. Why not FLAC? Smaller than Wav, retains art easier and doesn't lose information.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #12,747 of 19,652
  OK...so the UI is fairly straight forward out of the box. I updated the FW to 2.2 and verified the install. I did a couple of drag and drops just to get a feel for how things work. MP3 256 sounds great. The same song as a WAV was spooky incredible, though it may just have been that I really didn't A/B them.
I had started ripping my CD's to WAV files. I don't know that I'll load enough music to fill a 64GB card right away, so I may leave them WAV's unless there's a way to convert to 320 easilly from one format to another. I was wondering what others are doing? I could just rip everything down to 320, but the original intent was to have everything stored as lossless and convert as needed.

Thanks!

Walt

Honestly my entire library is 320. It's just as transparent to me as FLAC or hi-rez and takes up 1/3 the space. With my CD collection intact, not to mention that of the local library, if for whatever reason I needed a full lossless version of something, I'm sure I could get it.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #12,748 of 19,652
  Honestly my entire library is 320. It's just as transparent to me as FLAC or hi-rez and takes up 1/3 the space. With my CD collection intact, not to mention that of the local library, if for whatever reason I needed a full lossless version of something, I'm sure I could get it.

I'm perfectly good with loading everything as 320. Just trying to cut down on the heavy lifting since I had already started ripping my CD's to WAV thinking I could easily convert. I can just as easily start from scratch and rip all the CD's to 320. I'm just lazy and have two exams this week...but I can study and do this at the same time I guess...lol

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #12,749 of 19,652

I'm perfectly good with loading everything as 320. Just trying to cut down on the heavy lifting since I had already started ripping my CD's to WAV thinking I could easily convert. I can just as easily start from scratch and rip all the CD's to 320. I'm just lazy and have two exams this week...but I can study and do this at the same time I guess...lol

My advice - rip your CDs to lossless - that way you always have a perfect lossless copy for archive (ie you'll never need to rip your CDs again)

Then use dbpoweramp to batch convert to lossy format of choice.

By doing it this way, if there is a breakthrough in codec/compression/format at any stage, you can just retranscode the lossless to the new format (avoiding reripping).

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #12,750 of 19,652
My advice - rip your CDs to lossless - that way you always have a perfect lossless copy for archive (ie you'll never need to rip your CDs again)

Then use dbpoweramp to batch convert to lossy format of choice.

By doing it this way, if there is a breakthrough in codec/compression/format at any stage, you can just retranscode the lossless to the new format (avoiding reripping).

Solid advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back