The Fiio X5 Thread
Sep 27, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #12,661 of 19,652
Two things:

1. I've just posted on my longest reviews on the X5 in the Head Gear section.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/11634

Let me know what you think!

2. If I remove artwork from my files, will the speed of the X5 improve? I'm not dissatisfied with the speed as is, but since I've only got artwork on half of my library, I'll sacrifice it for the sake of consistency and improved performance.

I'll address only point 2, because i'll read your review hereafter :wink:

without album artwork the X5 won't per se be faster, it'll show the "nowplaying" screen without lag. Audio shouldn't lag from album art.

I've added album art to all my albums, mostly in folder (cover.jpg) at 500x500px.

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #12,662 of 19,652
  Two things:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x5-high-res-portable-music-player/reviews/11634

2. If I remove artwork from my files, will the speed of the X5 improve? I'm not dissatisfied with the speed as is, but since I've only got artwork on half of my library, I'll sacrifice it for the sake of consistency and improved performance.

Short, concise and well thought out, IMO.  Love to read more from ya.

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #12,663 of 19,652
got a good deal from a fellow on a pre-owned x5..can't open it now as I hid it from my wife lol..hopefully when my he-560 arrives I will be the one to receive it..or else! 
angry_face.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #12,664 of 19,652
  Two things:

Excellent review Joe, concise and to the point, in a few paragraphs you have voiced my own feeling about the X5. It's going to be the dap to beat and my gut feeling is that Fiio will outdo itself with the X7 but at a higher price point, for now the X5 is a heck of a bargain for the quality and functionality you are getting. The firmware update is the icing on the cake.

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #12,665 of 19,652
  got a good deal from a fellow on a pre-owned x5..can't open it now as I hid it from my wife lol..hopefully when my he-560 arrives I will be the one to receive it..or else! 
angry_face.gif

castrxxxxx  ?  
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #12,666 of 19,652
Good review. Very well done!
Just my two cents on the scroll wheel...I prefer the click wheel of the x5 to the ipod classic touch wheel. I find the x5 wheel to be more accurate but it's just too slow. But the thing I like most about the x5 scroll wheel is its ability to go backwards. To be able to go from A back to Z or to go from the first track right to the last track is the thing that I miss most if I go back and try to use my ipod. So in some sense, the x5 scroll wheel somewhat covers up the fact that it doesn't scroll fast enough.

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #12,668 of 19,652
Good review. Very well done!
Just my two cents on the scroll wheel...I prefer the click wheel of the x5 to the ipod classic touch wheel. I find the x5 wheel to be more accurate but it's just too slow. But the thing I like most about the x5 scroll wheel is its ability to go backwards. To be able to go from A back to Z or to go from the first track right to the last track is the thing that I miss most if I go back and try to use my ipod. So in some sense, the x5 scroll wheel somewhat covers up the fact that it doesn't scroll fast enough.

You probably know this already, but I want to point it out just in case. What you're talking about is in no way related to either the X5 or iPod's controls. The functionality you're describing is all in software. So if you install Rockbox in your iPod, you get the ability to go from Z to A. And theoretically, it should be possible for Fiio to implement accelerated scrolling so scrolling speeds up the more you turn the wheel. I've asked for this, as have some others, but Fiio hasn't implemented it yet. Bigger fish to fry, I guess...

I'd like to see an X5 revision with flush LCD, a wheel that actually clicks, and smaller well-marked buttons on the front - all like the X1 has. And hardware bass / treble controls like the X3 has. If they can make it thinner and lighter, too so much the better!

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #12,670 of 19,652
I have not rockboxed my ipod since I rockboxed my zip clip and cant seem to completely uninstall it on that device resulting in fragments of that program left on the device and preventing me from going back to original Sandisk software. Ive been leary of trying it with my beloved(ok less beloved since getting my x5...) ipod.
Getting back to the x5
I agree 100% with your comments especially the bass/treble controls as I have an x3 as well. The equalizer is bad in so many ways...so many ways, geez. Thats really the only thing about the x5 I dont absolutely love. The size, weight, slow-ish scrolling are all things I can totally live with on this awesome player

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #12,674 of 19,652
James' link didn't work for me either, so I used darkarn's dropbox account also. Thanks!

Yesterday I installed the Beta 2.31 FW and this is my experience at the moment:
– Upoaded 10.700 (flac & mp3) songs and they all come forward in the ''All songs'' section.
– I don't experience much lag with scrolling and till now my X5 didn't froze with this FW.
– As I posted yesterday, most of the jpg files are not shown. Just like in FW2.0
– When I start the player and start playing from the ''All songs'' section in shuffle mode, it seems to always follow the same route. No matter what the first song is, the second, third etc is always the same. This doesn't really feel like random order to me. By scrolling with the wheel and selecting another song it will follow another path from that moment on though.
– In FW2.2 it was possible to remove mp3's straight from the X5, with FW2.3 this is not possible anymore.

So, It's great that the 5.800 limit is not there anymore, but I will go back to FW2.2 soon because of the other disadvantages.

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #12,675 of 19,652
got a good deal from a fellow on a pre-owned x5..can't open it now as I hid it from my wife lol..hopefully when my he-560 arrives I will be the one to receive it..or else! :angry_face:

So you spent roughly 1000 dollars without your wife knowing? Impressive. I think my wife would kill me if she found out. I have a pair of HE400i from a tour that I trying to convince her that I NEED. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back