The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 24, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #5,431 of 19,652

Looks awesome together but I've got a question for anyone who may have tried this combo, what does the E12 buy you that the X5 doesn't already deliver?

Driving Power

Matching Looks when using that combo rig

Analog Potentiometer

Analog Bass Boost

And maybe even a bit more of a refined sound in the E12. I have the E12, but haven't done a formal comparison yet between the two

So the points I can mainly think of would be that the E12 is an amp for those that want to driver bigger cans with the X5 and wish to stick with FiiO. And or want the slight sonic changes the E12 offers. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #5,432 of 19,652

Looks awesome together but I've got a question for anyone who may have tried this combo, what does the E12 buy you that the X5 doesn't already deliver?

AnakChan

I use E12DIY for driving Mad Dog, senn HD560  and it can drive up to HD800
I think it is the same for your AlphaDog in which they perform better with more power

The E12DIY allows you to roll opamp as well....
For iem, you probably dont need to add an amp but it does sound good when you do...

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #5,433 of 19,652
  Driving Power

Matching Looks when using that combo rig

Analog Potentiometer

Analog Bass Boost

And maybe even a bit more of a refined sound in the E12. I have the E12, but haven't done a formal comparison yet between the two

So the points I can mainly think of would be that the E12 is an amp for those that want to driver bigger cans with the X5 and wish to stick with FiiO. And or want the slight sonic changes the E12 offers. 

Cheers. I'm surprised about driving power 'cos I thought the X5 had enough oomph. I was driving my ADs off the X5 directly (sorry, don't own a HD7/800 to test).

Would be interested in hearing your findings about the prospective refined sound. 

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #5,435 of 19,652
Yup, it seems like an incredible value for $350. Technology these days just seems to keep getting better and more affordable....

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #5,436 of 19,652
  Wow, this player can also function as a stand-alone DAC too?  I was looking for such a feature on a DAP.  I can't wait til Amazon start carrying it.

As well as USB DAC connected to your laptop or PC/Mac.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #5,437 of 19,652
  Wow, this player can also function as a stand-alone DAC too?  I was looking for such a feature on a DAP.  I can't wait til Amazon start carrying it.

Ya I liked this feature.

Biggest Con for this device I think is size and shape of it.  It's on the big side.  Not like a Lamborghini, not a panty dropper for sure but SQ is more important :)

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #5,438 of 19,652
  Ya I liked this feature.

Biggest Con for this device I think is size and shape of it.  It's on the big side.  Not like a Lamborghini, not a panty dropper for sure but SQ is more important :)

I would agree, it is on a bigger side, but manageable.  The only problem, I'm still looking for a good storage case for it.  Need something to fit 5" x 3" size (index card size), and typical case/box for index cards are either too deep or made out of flimsy plastic.  Typical headphones or small electronics zip up cases don't go beyond 4.5" in length.  Has anybody found a good storage case solution for X5?

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #5,443 of 19,652
  Are the Ebay sellers from China that have these available legitimate? These aren't knock-off units, are they?

If you have to ask, you shouldn't buy.

Wait the extra few weeks for your local/regional authorized dealer to get them in stock. Check o n FiiO's site for a list of authorized dealers

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #5,444 of 19,652
  Can anyone tell me which charge adapter suit with X5. I've got a SamSung with 5v - 2A. I afraid 2A is too high for X5 

In theory, the device only draws as much as it can use. The adapter supplies *up to* 2A depending on how much your device draws. The important thing is that the adapter can supply more than the device draws rather than the other way around. So 2A can't be too high....but check with someone who knows more than me! 

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #5,445 of 19,652
Hi!, i own the Fiio X3 DAP, i use it with Shure SE215 IEM's and with the NAD Viso HP50 over-ears. I wonder if the X5 is much better in sound, and what would be those differences? I'm happy with the X3 sound (and don´t have much problems with interface and other features) but i´m really curious if the improvements in sound are important enough to do an upgrade. Maybe there´s someone that own both...

Thanks for the support!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back