The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 27, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #4,756 of 19,652
  The Astell & Kern AK10 would make no sense pairing to the X5... the AK10 is mainly positioned with smart phone usage that do not have a decent DAC/AMP. The X5 already offers a great DAC/AMP combo.

I am not familliar with the other products that you mentioned...
As far as I know... The only think to be added to the X5 might be an external amp, and an amp only. (when using full size and demanding headphones)

haha sorry i though the ak10 was just an amp. i just realised its more of a DAC...

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #4,757 of 19,652
Pre-ordered 2 weeks ago at hdphns.com, It's the distributor for Belgium too. Price €349, shipment incl.

Glad i didn't know about this 5 days ago though. I bought a turntable from ebay for this exact amount of money, and unlike the X5, this oppurtunity might never rise again :)

Still gonna (pre)order the X5 next month.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #4,758 of 19,652
I like this combo James....   looks clean and functional...    as a possible step up could you even offer the E12 DIY in Black as an Elite X5/E12 DIY Combo ???
Now that would really be the icing on the cake..  :)  you could call it the X5E12DIY

who will be offering the bundle please ??

Quote:

A bundle kit for X5 , includes a LOD.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #4,759 of 19,652
So... I'm looking for a replacement for my Sansa Clip+. Would I be safe to assume that this is the ideal candidate? :wink:

I do realize we are talking about completely different budgets here... and I'm not really sure if I'm willing to spend 350 on an mp3 player... but I might!

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #4,760 of 19,652
So... I'm looking for a replacement for my Sansa Clip+. Would I be safe to assume that this is the ideal candidate? :wink:

I do realize we are talking about completely different budgets here... and I'm not really sure if I'm willing to spend 350 on an mp3 player... but I might!

Thanks!

If not the X5, there's also the X3, and in the future the X1. X5 might be a very hefty step-up from the sansa clip+. Doubt it's not worth getting though :wink:

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #4,761 of 19,652
If not the X5, there's also the X3, and in the future the X1. X5 might be a very hefty step-up from the sansa clip+. Doubt it's not worth getting though
wink.gif

Thanks for your reply :)

Well... the X3 had some bad reviews of software lock ups and s**t... also I read the UI is supposed to be much better on the X5. I might also find the DAC option useful. One of my biggest problems with the sansa is that when I can't use it when it is charging at the same time. Would the X3 be able to play music while charging?

Thanks!!

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #4,762 of 19,652

Well... the X3 had some bad reviews of software lock ups and s**t... also I read the UI is supposed to be much better on the X5. I might also find the DAC option useful. One of my biggest problems with the sansa is that when I can't use it when it is charging at the same time. Would the X3 be able to play music while charging?

Thanks!!

The X3 is getting a UI overhaul, it has DAC functionality.
It does lock up at times, not a lot though.(personal experience)
It charges and plays at the same time, yes :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #4,763 of 19,652

Thanks!!

remember some of these review are old, and likely written with an older firmware. The current firmware is fairly stable in my own experience.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #4,764 of 19,652
Feb 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #4,768 of 19,652
Feb 27, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #4,769 of 19,652
The X3 is getting a UI overhaul, it has DAC functionality.
It does lock up at times, not a lot though.(personal experience)
It charges and plays at the same time, yes
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again, you guys are very helpful!

So you mean to say that... the X3 is going to get the same UI... it also works as an USB DAC, it charges and plays at the same time... it costs about half the price of the X5... I'm failing to understand why anyone would buy an X5 then!!! :D

Thanks again :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #4,770 of 19,652
Thanks again, you guys are very helpful!

So you mean to say that... the X3 is going to get the same UI... it also works as an USB DAC, it charges and plays at the same time... it costs about half the price of the X5... I'm failing to understand why anyone would buy an X5 then!!! :D

Thanks again :)

It seems it won't get the same GUI as the X5: http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/8670#post_10311778

Apart from that, you're spot on.

The X5 reportedly has a more neutral and more refined sound than the X3, and 2 micro SD slots, capable of 256GB in total (with the latest 128GB micro SD cards that have been announced last week)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back