The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 28, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #4,786 of 19,652
  Hello!

I apologize if this has been asked before but is the line out on x5 a "true" line out bypassing built in amp?
If so, pairing with amp might be phenomenol 
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You mistake FiiO with iGreedy? lol
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #4,787 of 19,652
I had also pre-ordered the X5 and had an extended demo earlier and thought maybe I can cross-post my experience on comparison with hm901 here for reference:

I like my 901 /w JH13fp a lot. The transparency is second to none and to me it is clearly a class above X5. X5 still deliver quite a powerful, thick, and musical sound but lacks the transparency/hi-fidelity of 901. OTOH, X5 has a much better looking and responsive UI, and has a more premium built with its all metal casing. Personal I'm not a fan of the front design of X5 but it is purely my subjective aesthetics preference.

With the 901, for pairing with JH13, I would recommend the IEM amp oard over the old stock or new stock card (Classic Card). The classic card has a dreamy mid/vocal voicing but lacks transparency (relative to the IEM card but still better than X5) and have audible hiss with JH13. Minibox or balanced card would sound more authoritative and have better PRAT over IEM card but their backgrounds are less black and usable volume range could be an issue with JH13 as it is plenty loud at 1.5 or 2 out of 8. Very hard to fine tune to your desired listening volume.

Hope this helps. :)

I would also agree with currawong that the X5 has a very organic, smooth, non fatiguing, yet detailed delivery. A simple quick A/B demo may not do justice to it against DAP/amp with more edgy tuning. With one of the best DAP UI and built quality at a very reasonable price, X5 is really hard to pass up.

I also see many asking for the amp bundle but imho with X5 has more than sufficient power to drive. I am also most impressed by the clean pitch black background. Even with my TG334 or JH13 there is hardly at hiss at all.

James, my only quibble is the silver buttons that really detract the aesthetics for me. Would you be able to paint them in a much darker gun metal type paint? Yup I know I'm nitpicking :D

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #4,789 of 19,652
I had also pre-ordered the X5 and had an extended demo earlier and thought maybe I can cross-post my experience on comparison with hm901 here for reference:
I would also agree with @currawong that the X5 has a very organic, smooth, non fatiguing, yet detailed delivery. A simple quick A/B demo may not do justice to it against DAP/amp with more edgy tuning. With one of the best DAP UI and built quality at a very reasonable price, X5 is really hard to pass up.

I also see many asking for the amp bundle but imho with X5 has more than sufficient power to drive. I am also most impressed by the clean pitch black background. Even with my TG334 or JH13 there is hardly at hiss at all.

James, my only quibble is the silver buttons that really detract the aesthetics for me. Would you be able to paint them in a much darker gun metal type paint? Yup I know I'm nitpicking
biggrin.gif

That's exactly how I felt when I first heard X5 next to Rocco BA and Studio, though it became apparent after further listening the quality in X5's sound. If I switch from something tuned rather bright like Studio V at first X5 sounds warm or missing that upper mid push, though it lifts rather quickly and sounds neutral again once adjusted.

I'm completely sold on the player and I've only had it 3 days.  
biggrin.gif
 I haven't got anything bad to say besides a small delay when selecting from folder which is being patched up. . I have money here ready to buy one and not being able to hand it over until  release is simply frustrating.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #4,790 of 19,652
Personally, unless you need more drive for full-sized, insensitive cans, an amp isn't neceesary, especially for portable use.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #4,792 of 19,652
  @James 

Which amp is comparable with the internal amp of X5? Kilimanjaro?

Only E12 and E12DIY can be said to be on par or better than the X5 internal amp. Well, E18 is close too. Other wise the rest are just step down.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #4,796 of 19,652
Then why should i get this?

If the X5 internal amp is on par with it, does that really make any sound difference?

Sorry if i am asking dumb questions.

No one is telling you to get the bundle. If you don't need the power or have no future plans on getting powerhungry cans then you shouldn't need the E12 at all.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #4,797 of 19,652

Then why should i get this?

Because it looks $*%&%^$ cool that's why. 
tongue.gif

In all seriousness unless you need more power for fullsize headphones (for example HD600 300ohm) you will be just fine with out the amp. It's more a display photo from FiiO showing the two flagships put togther. X5 already has low/high gain modes and will drive IEM's and many headphones perfectly fine. Do not worry, you don't need E12 by default. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #4,799 of 19,652

Because it looks $*%&%^$ cool that's why. 
tongue.gif

In all seriousness unless you need more power for fullsize headphones (for example HD600 300ohm) you will be just fine with out the amp. It's more a display photo from FiiO showing the two flagships put togther. X5 already has low/high gain modes and will drive IEM's and many headphones perfectly fine. Do not worry, you don't need E12 by default. 

Ok, that (the looks) is a reason i can agree to. :-D

And of course if your headphones need the power. SO my P7 should be happy without

Thx for all answers

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #4,800 of 19,652
Because it looks $*%&%^$ cool that's why. :p

TRUE. We (most of the fiio nuts) mostly have our E12 in our rig inventory and most recently some even own E12-DIY along with E12(yeah we are passionate puppies:) ).

So,@slame»»» you really dont need E12 to use as LOD with X5 unless otherwise you want to giv a shot to check urself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back