The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 27, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #4,727 of 19,652
Looks nice, may I ask what it is being bundled with?

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #4,729 of 19,652
Which are...

Quite a few things.

The Studio sounds a little brittle or lacking resolution and some refinement compared, it has that boost in the upper mids that pushes out clearer detail though it sounds grainy if you switch back after a while. There's other areas like X5's stronger imaging of instruments and larger headstage, much darker background (free of hiss) There's better depth with X5's center channel. I still love the Studio as it's so unique with it's house sound, it won't be going anywhere quickly, it's just so one of a kind sound though cannot help feel the higher quality components used in X5 are clearly working to it's advantage when listening between them. They're kind of two different approaches towards music.

X5 is no slouch, FiiO have done a pretty impressive job. I won't say either wins though 'different' to use a better word.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #4,731 of 19,652

Quite a few things.

The Studio sounds a little brittle or lacking resolution and some refinement compared, it has that boost in the upper mids that pushes out clearer detail though it sounds grainy if you switch back after a while. There's other areas like X5's stronger imaging of instruments and larger headstage, much darker background (free of hiss) There's better depth with X5's center channel. I still love the Studio as it's so unique with it's house sound, it won't be going anywhere quickly, it's just so one of a kind sound though cannot help feel the higher quality components used in X5 are clearly working to it's advantage when listening between them. They're kind of two different approaches towards music.

X5 is no slouch, FiiO have done a pretty impressive job. I won't say either wins though 'different' to use a better word.

seems like we can consider to make a dap which is based on 3770 and the sound quality still reasonable.
wink_face.gif

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 27, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #4,732 of 19,652

If would assess both of them just from the perspective of instrument separation and pushing micre-detalis forward, would you say that Studio V wins or X5 wins?

It depends, if you're after actual coherency picking out different instruments separated around the stage X5 is more coherent, it has wider staging, more height to space things out, the darker background forms a more vivid perception of each sample, if you're after separation in the means of attack and execution the Studio sounds snappier and has that kind of clock work metronome effect I mention, where instruments are almost preciously ticking in time with each another, I describe it has hypnotic to a degree others might find it robotic sounding or mechanical. 

Micro detail they're both good, however I have heard samples such as lips closing together and breathing Studio V does not  show with ER4S.

While the Studio sounds clearer the micro detail on X5 just comes from no-where sometimes. 

seems like we can consider to make a dap which is based on 3770 and the sound quality still reasonable.
wink_face.gif

I'm pretty happy with the performance James, it's a well refined professional sounding unit. Makes my music sound new again. :) 

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #4,733 of 19,652
Yep H20 I was telling you that micro-detailing on the X5 is sickening... Vocals are also really good. Those nuances you mention in the lips closing/opening , to background noise you'd normally not hear, etc are all micro-detailing in my book. Just the X5 makes it sound very apparent as if its not even micro-detailing lol. The low noise-floor/black background definitely lends a hand in this area as well. The micro-detailing is my favorite aspect of the player and is what sold me. I agree the imaging and separation are also very good but it does it in a way that sounds natural and convincing at the same time. I think the X5 has a good amount of depth to its sound. Not a very wide sound stage but not narrow either.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #4,735 of 19,652
  Yep H20 I was telling you that micro-detailing on the X5 is sickening... Vocals are also really good. Those nuances you mention in the lips closing/opening , to background noise you'd normally not hear, etc are all micro-detailing in my book. Just the X5 makes it sound very apparent as if its not even micro-detailing lol. The low noise-floor/black background definitely lends a hand in this area as well. The micro-detailing is my favorite aspect of the player and is what sold me. I agree the imaging and separation are also very good but it does it in a way that sounds natural and convincing at the same time. I think the X5 has a good amount of depth to its sound. Not a very wide sound stage but not narrow either.

I like it very much with ER4S, Dunu DN-1000 and TF10. I have organised to place an order. :) 

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #4,736 of 19,652
Hi, to save me going back through 100's of threads, I had a Cowan X5L, have bought the wife a Fiio X3 and now thinking of an X3 or X5 for me.  Do you know how the X3 and X5 compare, this based on sound rather than other obvious differences between the two?

Thanks

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #4,737 of 19,652
I was under the impression the X5 would be the new kid on the block offering a HD all-in-one solution including a decent multiple chip dac and high performance amp at a reasonable price. Now it seems to me the early adopters aren't that convinced about its SQ, even James is promoting a stack (..)

Mainly because of James' input on this thread and comments of several highly appreciated HF members I was convinced the X5 would be the best replacement for my Cowon S9/C421 combo. Now I'm not so sure anymore and wondering whether or not to cancel my pre-order and wait for the next best thing......

Was the X5 misrepresented or is it just me?

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #4,738 of 19,652
I was under the impression the X5 would be the new kid on the block offering a HD all-in-one solution including a decent multiple chip dac and high performance amp. Now it seems to me the early adopters aren't that convinced about it SQ, even James is promoting a stack (..)

Mainly because of James' input on this thread and comments of several highly appreciated HF members I was convinced the X5 would be the best replacement for my Cowon S9/C421 combo. Now I'm not so sure anymore and wondering whether or not to cancel my pre-order and wait for the next best thing......

Was the X5 misrepresented or is it just me?

A X5+E12 bundle has been talked about for almost as long as the X5 itself. Just because FiiO is trying to please more customers with bundles/stacks/sandwiches doesn't mean that the X5 alone wouldn't be adequate for some. The only real benefit of adding the E12 to the X5 would be when you are powering hard to drive dynamics and/or orthos since the E12 in my experience isn't to great with sensitive IEM:s. For a pair of IEM:s or low impedance portable headphones there shouldn't be much of an improvement if said person does not prefer the E12:s sonic signature ever the X5:s which is highly possible.

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #4,739 of 19,652
  Hi, to save me going back through 100's of threads, I had a Cowan X5L, have bought the wife a Fiio X3 and now thinking of an X3 or X5 for me.  Do you know how the X3 and X5 compare, this based on sound rather than other obvious differences between the two?

Thanks

In a few words: the X3 is warmer, more bassy and less detailed than the 5. That's all I remember for now since I sold my X3 a while ago..
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #4,740 of 19,652
James,

A little, friendly advice on bundle. I find the interconnect between X5 and E12 is way big and useless honestly. You designed the bundle to use them together, there could be a micro/tiny IC in between them, quite small profile as well as durable.

Apart from that, I have no complaints. I hope the price will be lower than purchasing both units separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back