The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #4,696 of 19,652
Anyone know if the X5 can output USB audio when the USB OTG function is implemented? I'm looking for a digital transport for the Chord Hugo and if X5 can output hi-res and DSD over DOP via USB, I'll definitely be picking one up. Hope James can look into this.

I'm in the same boat. But I think it will be coax for me. Jitter be damned. Plus coax will likely output from the highest rez files.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #4,697 of 19,652
  ClieOS do you think x5 will match well with UM Miracle? Or should I wait for the DX90 or temp use the DX50?

Don't have the Miracle to tell. My listening to Miracle was a long time ago but I don't see why X5 won't work. Can't answer you about the DX90 but X5 easily better DX50 on SQ.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #4,698 of 19,652

Don't have the Miracle to tell. My listening to Miracle was a long time ago but I don't see why X5 won't work. Can't answer you about the DX90 but X5 easily better DX50 on SQ.

Miracle is very neutural, clear and balanced with wide soundtage, so I think it is better combination with bright and a little bit forward mid
From review on this site, X5 is a little bit warm and bass focus I think?

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #4,699 of 19,652
  Miracle is very neutural, clear and balanced with wide soundtage, so I think it is better combination with bright and a little bit forward mid

I just finished auditioning the X5 and I do have the Miracle; I found myself using the equalizer to tone down the high frequencies on some recordings due to a bit of excessive brightness. Other recordings were not a problem, but overall, using the flat equalizer setting was a bit hit-or-miss. It is a very revealing player and I think it would go very nicely with a slightly-to-moderately warm earphone. My Mad Dogs sounded excellent straight out of the X5, much better than when amped by my E17, though volume had to be near max to attain my preferred volume. Alison Krauss' Paper Airplanes from HDTracks is a real stunner with the X5, just so clear and present...

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #4,700 of 19,652

Not at all. X5 is neutral to a very slight warm. The perception of bass focus is mainly due to its capability to drive headphone with very tight control.

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #4,701 of 19,652
I'm in HK for the next few days, do you know any stores here that are already selling the x5?

Try this place. I saw one on display in one of the stores.

Don't put too much hope on that, Fiio X5 has yet to release in Hong Kong offically, so the X5 selling in Hong Kong are most likely coming from Toaboa, so they don't really keep stock, or need to pay deposit in advance and wait for 1 or 2 days before you get on your hands on an unit.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 26, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #4,702 of 19,652
I'm finding with ER4S and X5 the refinement and imaging is certainly exceptional. It's hard to explain exactly, but my other players cannot image as vividly as X5 does. Each instrument for example in the mid range forms a very detailed image, a much clearer image than I'm used to and remain considerably coherent individualizing themselves around one other. Makes life very easy listening to one sample. Plus they don't seem to drown each other out as a passage gets busy with many instruments, that tight refinement just holds it all together.

For what I'm used to coming from the Hisound players those units are touch bright and push their detail out differently, especially around the upper mid range which gives vocals a good amount of detail and grind. X5 on the other hands is much smoother but I dare say possibly above the Studio V detail levels, (though in a different manner). Because it's not as bright/cool you have a different concept. It's especially notable the lower mids sound full and thick in comparasion, they have this semi creamy sound to them. 

I'm hearing little bits and pieces (samples) such as lips closing together and breathing in before the next song line. There's a deeper level of extension with some vocal tracks I know well. And the background is black black black.

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #4,704 of 19,652

H20 the micro-detailing is getting to you isn't it :wink:...

Not sure Lee, I'm not hearing the micro detailing quite as you described it, (but I'm definitely hearing new things) I think we're on similar levels as discussed with a slightly different explanation. If I can eventually load up an X5 with 128GB of FLAC and keep it tied to ER4S (as a complete set up) it would be a serious enough pairing along with my other gear to call it quits for a while.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #4,709 of 19,652
  http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000055517771&MenuID=105026016

Just noticed on Fiio's site they are showing the that the X5 now supports 256 GB, with future capability up 1024 GB now, sweet! 1 TB of hi-res music on the go sounds awesome.

It does, but in the details specifications still says 64gb x 2 and the image shows 128 gb

Quote from the website:
Dual TF card(Micro SD card),
support 64Gx2 MAX.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #4,710 of 19,652
The X5 is up for preorder in the US on BH Photo and Video for $349 with free shipping...just placed my order.

Current availability date is April first (please don't let that turn out to be a joke in poor taste :)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back