The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 20, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #4,576 of 19,652
Late March, early April apparently. In the spirit of that, I've ordered some K10's and they'll be landing well before the X5 (unfortunately) what is a cheap alternative that will drive/source my delicious devil's until i can blow more remarkable amounts of money?

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #4,580 of 19,652
Wow, the sound of this tour unit is really growing on me. It is so engaging that it is making it really hard to focus on work. It especially sounds good with my NT6pros and my HD595s. What is striking is how crisp the sound is providing a very detailed texturing and black background. No sloppiness here.

In terms of brightness, there is no low-mid or mid bump to cover up the treble, but just a very transparent and black sound that has good balance along the frequency range. Someone not used to a transparent sound or the lack of the bump might consider it brighter than what they are used to, but I like the balance. Again, what is unique is the ability to have thick, textured, and powerful notes in a crisp format that lacks the typical rich signature fog or sloppiness.

My father is leaving to China tomorrow on business and I am very tempted to have him pick one up for me and be done with this DAP obsession. 

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #4,582 of 19,652
  Wow, the sound of this tour unit is really growing on me. It is so engaging that it is making it really hard to focus on work. It especially sounds good with my NT6pros and my HD595s. What is striking is how crisp the sound is providing a very detailed texturing and black background. No sloppiness here.

In terms of brightness, there is no low-mid or mid bump to cover up the treble, but just a very transparent and black sound that has good balance along the frequency range. Someone not used to a transparent sound or the lack of the bump might consider it brighter than what they are used to, but I like the balance. Again, what is unique is the ability to have thick, textured, and powerful notes in a crisp format that lacks the typical rich signature fog or sloppiness.

My father is leaving to China tomorrow on business and I am very tempted to have him pick one up for me and be done with this DAP obsession. 

If you are going to get one anyway, there is nothing better than getting it now, and it should last you until your next obsession.
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #4,583 of 19,652

...and be done with this DAP obsession.

Yeah right...this is totally not happening
smily_headphones1.gif

If you are going to get one anyway, there is nothing better than getting it now, and it should last you until your next obsession.
ksc75smile.gif

Yeah true, but can you imagine how much more time we would have for family and friends if we could break the cycle and stop constantly reading Head-Fi.
wink_face.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #4,585 of 19,652
I sent Fiio an e-mail asking for North American release info and got this back....

"Dear Ed ,

Thanks for you pay attention to our new product X5 and support to FiiO!

Kindly inform you that, if everything goes well, the X5 will begin to sell in the USA at the beginning of April. You can contact our authorized agents to purchase our product X5 at that time. The list of our authorized agents is available here: http://www.fiio.com.cn/where/index.aspx

You can pay close attention to our new product X5 by logging in our official website(fiio.net) or become a fan on our Facebook.

Your support always been our biggest motivation and proud! :)

If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us!
Have a nice day! ^_^
Best Regards,
FiiO Customer Service"

That should be time enough to gather funds!!! Hopefully..lol

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #4,587 of 19,652
I am looking at micro sd cards at the moment and I am seeing all kinds of types... SDHC, SDXC etc.
Does it matter which one to buy for the X5?

Keep it Class 6 and above and you should be fine. If you don't listen to anything beyond 16bit / 48kHz, Class 4 is fine as well.

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #4,588 of 19,652
I am looking at micro sd cards at the moment and I am seeing all kinds of types... SDHC, SDXC etc.
Does it matter which one to buy for the X5?

128 gb micro sd's are coming if you can wait a bit. You can get 256 gb total storage without even using USB OTG. If money is not a problem, I would say wait for them.

Otherwise go for big brands like Sandisk or something, class 10. Sandisk never failed me. If I were to buy one today, I would choose their cards.

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #4,589 of 19,652
128 gb micro sd's are coming if you can wait a bit. You can get 256 gb total storage without even using USB OTG. If money is not a problem, I would say wait for them.

Otherwise go for big brands like Sandisk or something, class 10. Sandisk never failed me. If I were to buy one today, I would choose their cards.

Yes I was wondering about the 128gb cards as well, as of now, I havent found any specific release information and Fiio also states that 2x128gb will only be possible with a firmware upgrade which is not yet announced (I might have missed it :) )
But SDXC and SDHC are both supported right? I tried to search this thread but haven't found any concrete answer yet. ( I am quite new with micro sd cards so I want to do this right the first time :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back