The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 22, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #4,591 of 19,652
Has anyone here heard the MA8 or MA9 DAPs from HiFi-ET (Monster Audio)?

They look like pretty serious designs, and I'm wondering how they compare to the X5 and similar priced DAPs?

I have the MA9, but it doesn't play high-res files above 48k unfortunately. It has been sitting rather idle lately.

A question or two to Mac users of the X5:
1. When I connect an X5 to iTunes, do I Copy-and-paste artist by artist or album by album?
2. Does anyone have experience with copying 300 GB of music in one go?
3. If I have two storage cards will the X5 automatically fill up one card first or must I decide where the files are copied to?

The next question is for all users. Does the X5 treat both cards as one storage file or do I need to decide which card to look at to find my music?

Now if only my iPod Classics can take more than 160 GB then I wouldn't need to consider this tempting X5.

Thanks.

The cards will show up separately in the Finder, similarly to an AK100. What I ended up using was Markspace Android software to copy files (and playlists, though they can't be used, yet) to the cards, since I can't fit my whole library on a card or cards. Likewise, this is going to replace an iPod Classic once playlist support is possible.

Before I forget: If you get a bunch of hidden files on a card (all starting with a period ".") you can nuke them with one of the tools in MacPilot that deletes Mac files in folders.

I've been listening with the X5 through a Pico Power with my Symphones Magnums and am getting similarly excellent results as I did with the AK100 and Pico Power. I think the battery was too low to power the Magnums directly as they didn't sound as good. I'll try again tomorrow once it has charged. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #4,593 of 19,652
sorry if my qns have been answered, but below are some qns i hope u guys can help me with.

1) My music are all tagged properly, with Album art etc , BUT the folders they are in and the file names are kinda in a huuge mess. am i going to have a problem with the x5 UI? (sorting & arrangement etc) (I wont be playing by folder but by the sorting thru artists, album, or just all songs)

2) If i am really gonna face a problem, Is there any way i can sort my music easily or do i have to go through Thousands of songs and rename them 1 by 1?

3) what are the bugs noted so far?

4) what is the maximum impedance of a headphone connected directly to the H/O that can be played without 'strain' ? meaning that the player would still be able to bring out the full potential of the headphone.

5) any Pouches or cases available other than the stock silicone case?

6) i've seen discusions about the SD cards. what difference does it make other than the capacity?

7) I've seen lots of comments on comparison between x5 and other DAPs. i am currently only considering between DX50, X5, AK100 Gold, and ZX1. I  listen to Rap, Ballads, and ........Avril Lavigne. that's literally the simplest way to categorize the things i listen to. Any opinions or advices u guys have? like...should i be considering anything else, or should i be going for another DAP?

Sorry if my questions irritate or annoy anyone its just that im very budget conscious so im trying to be careful with my purchases.

Thanks ahead.
Frank

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #4,594 of 19,652
  sorry if my qns have been answered, but below are some qns i hope u guys can help me with.

1) My music are all tagged properly, with Album art etc , BUT the folders they are in and the file names are kinda in a huuge mess. am i going to have a problem with the x5 UI? (sorting & arrangement etc) (I wont be playing by folder but by the sorting thru artists, album, or just all songs)

2) If i am really gonna face a problem, Is there any way i can sort my music easily or do i have to go through Thousands of songs and rename them 1 by 1?

3) what are the bugs noted so far?

4) what is the maximum impedance of a headphone connected directly to the H/O that can be played without 'strain' ? meaning that the player would still be able to bring out the full potential of the headphone.

5) any Pouches or cases available other than the stock silicone case?

6) i've seen discusions about the SD cards. what difference does it make other than the capacity?

7) I've seen lots of comments on comparison between x5 and other DAPs. i am currently only considering between DX50, X5, AK100 Gold, and ZX1. I  listen to Rap, Ballads, and ........Avril Lavigne. that's literally the simplest way to categorize the things i listen to. Any opinions or advices u guys have? like...should i be considering anything else, or should i be going for another DAP?

Sorry if my questions irritate or annoy anyone its just that im very budget conscious so im trying to be careful with my purchases.

Thanks ahead.
Frank

1&2 Use Media Monkey and you can manage large number of files and add tags quickly.

3 - There is a bug thread I believe.  Only heard of a few random reboots but I would visit that thread.  All fixable it seems through updates no hardware specific bugs that I've seen.

4 - From what reviews are saying they are one of the best non-amp daps on the market.  Can drive Th900's & LCD'2's but not harder to drive ones.  In any case an external amp is optimal and sounds better on any dap including this one.

5 = I have no knowledge to share on this one.

6 = Capacity is the only reason.  Max is 64GB each slot until the 128GB are more readily available on the market only seen in asian markets at this point.

7 = I would consider the DX90 which is releasing about the same time as the X5 (we'll see) but you might consider the Calyx M but not sure on release date.  ZX1 likely will have a good UI but has no card slot.

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #4,595 of 19,652
128 GB cards will be expensive as hell when they first come out; you are best off collecting a bunch of 64 GB Sandisk Class 10 cards at $30/each from Newegg or Amazon.

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #4,596 of 19,652
  1&2 Use Media Monkey and you can manage large number of files and add tags quickly.

3 - There is a bug thread I believe.  Only heard of a few random reboots but I would visit that thread.  All fixable it seems through updates no hardware specific bugs that I've seen.

4 - From what reviews are saying they are one of the best non-amp daps on the market.  Can drive Th900's & LCD'2's but not harder to drive ones.  In any case an external amp is optimal and sounds better on any dap including this one.

5 = I have no knowledge to share on this one.

6 = Capacity is the only reason.  Max is 64GB each slot until the 128GB are more readily available on the market only seen in asian markets at this point.

7 = I would consider the DX90 which is releasing about the same time as the X5 (we'll see) but you might consider the Calyx M but not sure on release date.  ZX1 likely will have a good UI but has no card slot.

thanks for the reply .

so

1&2)  my actual qn is, my files are tagged appropriately but the name of the file is not right and they are all messed up in random folders, is that gonna be a prob?

7) a friend of mine already has the calyx M :)

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #4,597 of 19,652

thanks for the reply .

so

1&2)  my actual qn is, my files are tagged appropriately but the name of the file is not right and they are all messed up in random folders, is that gonna be a prob?

1&2) I tagged my filenames using mp3tag with the auto filename tagging function. I use the track number with a leading zero and then the song title as the filename placeholder. It works fine while browsing  songs in the album folder.

7) Really? I though the Calyx M has not been released yet, unless I misunderstood how and when did he get it? Is he happy with its sq and UI?

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #4,598 of 19,652

thanks for the reply .

so

can you tell me more about 7?

if you play an album for now it goes by file and so if you want to play by album it will be mixed up. Just a a 1, 2, 3 etc if you want. I use perfect tunes to fix art and match names to files and to get rid of dupes.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #4,600 of 19,652
Feb 22, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #4,601 of 19,652
Ok while I wait for the release of the X5 and Calyx I picked up a used ipod classic 120gb.  I rockboxed it and am surprisingly pleased with the sound but not as rich as I would like.  Guess an external amp is required.

Anyway, I now have another portable Dap to do a side by side by side comparison when the X5 finally gets into my hands.  To be continued...

oh the best part is this 120gb iPod cost me $20 off of Craigslist. Got some ksc75 her headphones for $11 cause I break and lose headphones when mobile and the koss headphones are decent and throw away. Wouldn't use th900 outside.

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #4,602 of 19,652
Hello everyone!

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before.

Does anyone know what DAC chip is being used in the Fiio x5?

I went to their web site but didn't see it. I checked the specs on the x3 and it's using a Wolfson DAC chip.

Can we conclude that the Fiio x5 has one one?

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #4,603 of 19,652
Hello everyone!

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before.

Does anyone know what DAC chip is being used in the Fiio x5?

I went to their web site but didn't see it. I checked the specs on the x3 and it's using a Wolfson DAC chip.

Can we conclude that the Fiio x5 has one one?

Thanks!

The X5 is using the PCM1792A chip from Texas Instruments. And it's mentioned at least two times on FiiO:s page.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #4,604 of 19,652
But SDXC and SDHC are both supported right? I tried to search this thread but haven't found any concrete answer yet. ( I am quite new with micro sd cards so I want to do this right the first time
biggrin.gif
)

Yeah both are supported.
SDHC is maxed out at 32GB. If you want 64GB+ then SDXC is the only way to go!

Otherwise go for big brands like Sandisk or something, class 10. Sandisk never failed me. If I were to buy one today, I would choose their cards.

Hi, JonathanCandel -

Keep in mind that micro-SD reliability can problematic, with faults and failures seemingly common with the micro-SDXC variety. Indeed, SanDisk recently acknowledged it had originally shipped defective SDXC cards; unfortunately, many are still on the market. I fell victim to this problem just the other day, when I ordered a 64 GB SanDisk card from Amazon. The card was kaput from the start. (Amazon refunded me immediately, no questions asked.) I then purchased another SanDisk micro-SDXC, this time from Staples. Thus far, it's performed well.

When you buy a micro-SDXC, you'll want to be sure the card is packed in its original retail packaging--avoid the so-called "Frustration-Free Packaging" that Amazon offers as an alternative. Also, I recommend using only regular retailers, especially those with brick-and-mortar locations. If the card is defective, you should be able to exchange it easily.

Best regards,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back