The Fiio X5 Thread
Aug 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #976 of 19,652
Quote:

Personally I'd hope it sports dual PCM1704, so I can have dual ess (901), dual wolfson (ak120), and a dual burr-brown DAP  :)   
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The Hifi ET MA9 has that double 1704 inside and it sounds good.

First of, PCM1704 has been discontinued for too long for FiiO to source enough quantity. Even HifiMan has trouble sourcing enough last year to keep the HM801 production going, so they have to stop for a few months. It will be very unwise for FiiO to use PCM1704.

Second, there is no such a thing as single vs. dual PCM1704. It is a single channel chip, so you always need two chips to have a stereo signal. PCM1972 that is going into the X5 is already a dual channels chip, and I'll rather have one optimized chips rather than randomly stuffing two chips together just for marketing purpose.

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #977 of 19,652
Quote:

First of, PCM1704 has been discontinued for too long for FiiO to source enough quantity. Even HifiMan has trouble sourcing enough last year to keep the HM801 production going, so they have to stop for a few months. It will be very unwise for FiiO to use PCM1704.

Second, there is no such a thing as single vs. dual PCM1704. It is a single channel chip, so you always need two chips to have a stereo signal. PCM1972 that is going into the X5 is already a dual channels chip, and I'll rather have one optimized chips rather than randomly stuffing two chips together just for marketing purpose.

I will be happy with one PCM1972 too.

Also the PCM1704 is not capable to reproduce high resolution music.

On the other hand, I would not say that implementing a DAC for each channel is just for marketing purpose.

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #982 of 19,652
Quote:
On the other hand, I would not say that implementing a DAC for each channel is just for marketing purpose.

Of course now. I love my HM901. But AK120? That's another story.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #983 of 19,652
Quote:

Yes.  I agree 1792 is the much better choice.  Most these "dual" thing is really more of a gimmick while the specific implementation, as well as the amp section design, will affect the sound way more than using 1 or 2 of the DAC chip.  While my comment is mostly in jest though I'll have to admit I'm curious how the ET MA9 sound as I do like the 1704.... 

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #988 of 19,652
Something missing from the poll...

BATTERY LIFE!!!!

I really hate these players only providing enough juice for 10 or so hours!! :frowning2:
If a tiny Cowon C2 can provide 30+ hours or the newer D20 can provide 80 hours, we can a properly engineer DAP cannot even reach 20?!?

Definitely would love good sound reproduction + line-out + 30+ hours battery life for one of these new players...

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #989 of 19,652
Quote:
Something missing from the poll...

BATTERY LIFE!!!!

I really hate these players only providing enough juice for 10 or so hours!! :frowning2:
If a tiny Cowon C2 can provide 30+ hours or the newer D20 can provide 80 hours, we can a properly engineer DAP cannot even reach 20?!?

Definitely would love good sound reproduction + line-out + 30+ hours battery life for one of these new players...

At risk of being redundant as I'm sure these have been discussed many times elsewhere :

I think the Cowon C2 uses an audio chip that integrates both DAC and headphone driver. These DAPs are "properly engineered" for audio reproduction, so instead of a single chip (running headphones at, probably, Class B), it has a dedicated DAC chip(s), an opamp, then a dedicated headphone driver chip - all of which were originally designed for a CDPlayer hooked up to the power grid at 100v to 240v. Even 100v is a lot more than what it actually requires, but that doesn't mean a 7v-9v battery is enough. Think of the Cowons and iPods as Civics or MazdaSpeed 3's, and the properly engineered DAPs as S2000's or RX-8's. There's just no way a compact engine designed for high revs to take long sweeping turns without running out of steam and make max power at that displacement for the straights can get anywhere near 30mi/gallon.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #990 of 19,652
Think of the Cowons and iPods as Civics or MazdaSpeed 3's, and the properly engineered DAPs as S2000's or RX-8's. There's just no way a compact engine designed for high revs to take long sweeping turns without running out of steam and make max power at that displacement for the straights can get anywhere near 30mi/gallon.

I need a rx7, with its small AND powerful engine :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back