The Fiio X5 Thread
Dec 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #2,536 of 19,652
Thanks folks @ Tokyo for sharing.

@Currawong, thanks for the impression and summary.  when demoing with Parterre, may I know what gain setting of X5 did you use?

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #2,537 of 19,652
Sadly today I didn't get a chance to. The only time I did was yesterday. But I did ask one or two other HF members to have a listen to it.

Anak, come on, since you posted a photo of two, i lost my sleep. The only way getting it back would be to hear how X5 sounds and how it compares to Sony :wink:

Seriously on photos i like Sony looks better, more refined and polished DAP. Fiio looks more akin industrial design item, bricky if i may say so?

But big and biggest question is sound quality for sure.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #2,538 of 19,652
Anak, come on, since you posted a photo of two, i lost my sleep. The only way getting it back would be to hear how X5 sounds and how it compares to Sony
wink.gif

Seriously on photos i like Sony looks better, more refined and polished DAP. Fiio looks more akin industrial design item, bricky if i may say so?

But big and biggest question is sound quality for sure.

Hehehe....ok well both SQs are different naturally. If anything i'd probably say the X5 has more of a 901-type signature where the mids are warm whereas (as some of you have read in the ZX1 thread) the Sony seemed to have a tad of the mids recessed a little. The resulting is the X5 feels a little closer staging but not by too much. The X5 does excel in imaging.

I'm gonna admit I didn't seem to hear anything out of the ordinary for the low and high end which kinda implies that it's quite full sounding - no roll offs anywhere that was glaring.

I had a smooth operation with the GUI and with the physical buttons/scrolls. Someone said they liked the metal wheel and I have to agree that I do too. Coming from the HM-901 where I do find the wheel a little finicky, the X5 scrolling is smooth and I actually do like the grated texture for better grip. Naturally I wasn't going crazy in scrolling so I can't tell if I'll have a sore or highly polished thumb by the end of of my use of it but I really do like the grip texture.

Currawong did encounter a OS hangup but a reboot fixed it. Bear in mind it's only a prototype so hopefully the distributor will provide feedback to the maker to fix.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #2,539 of 19,652

Hehehe....ok well both SQs are different naturally. If anything i'd probably say the X5 has more of a 901-type signature where the mids are warm whereas (as some of you have read in the ZX1 thread) the Sony seemed to have a tad of the mids recessed a little. The resulting is the X5 feels a little closer staging but not by too much. The X5 does excel in imaging.

I'm gonna admit I didn't seem to hear anything out of the ordinary for the low and high end which kinda implies that it's quite full sounding - no roll offs anywhere that was glaring.

I had a smooth operation with the GUI and with the physical buttons/scrolls. Someone said they liked the metal wheel and I have to agree that I do too. Coming from the HM-901 where I do find the wheel a little finicky, the X5 scrolling is smooth and I actually do like the grated texture for better grip. Naturally I wasn't going crazy in scrolling so I can't tell if I'll have a sore or highly polished thumb by the end of of my use of it but I really do like the grip texture.

Currawong did encounter a OS hangup but a reboot fixed it. Bear in mind it's only a prototype so hopefully the distributor will provide feedback to the maker to fix.

Finally, some actual user impressions instead of complaints about looks.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #2,540 of 19,652
Anak, thanks, danke, domo arigato :D

Please keep your impressions coming. Especially curious since you find x5 closer to HM901 so question is how close this is?

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #2,541 of 19,652

If anything i'd probably say the X5 has more of a 901-type signature where the mids are warm whereas (as some of you have read in the ZX1 thread) the Sony seemed to have a tad of the mids recessed a little. The resulting is the X5 feels a little closer staging but not by too much. The X5 does excel in imaging.

yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tongue_smile.gif
now making the wait even more unbearable...

I like the flashy new Sony but the impressions so far kind of put me off a bit of being "too clean".... the selling price of X5 makes it more of a safe bet...i have no idea why I need another DAP when I am pretty content with 901, no freeze or anything unusual for weeks now!

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #2,542 of 19,652
Anak, thanks, danke, domo arigato
biggrin.gif

Please keep your impressions coming. Especially curious since you find x5 closer to HM901 so question is how close this is?

Hehe....

methinks it is no accident if the X5 is tuned to sound similar to the current (alleged) king-of-DAPs (SQ-wise).
etysmile.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #2,543 of 19,652
Anak, thanks, danke, domo arigato
biggrin.gif

The impressions were done only one time at the E-earphone event. I hope more HF members who attended the event will share their impressions here. I may try to push my luck with the distributor to see if I can borrow the X5 for a short while but since they only received one (I think?) there's little chance they'll agree to that.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #2,546 of 19,652
hm... could it just be different sound sig? btw, this is cheaper than the AK100 ... I dont even think AK line should serve as reference when discussing audiophile DAP... DX100 or HM901 maybe more relevant...just imo

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #2,547 of 19,652
Was there an option to play all from the sd cards? I have the X3 and I can only play all from the internal memory. It sounds like it could be an attractive option at the price it is supposed to go for. It's a good time to be in the market for a dap :D

I'm not sure if I can wait until March for the release of this. I think it's between this and the Sony ZX1 for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back