The Fiio X5 Thread
Dec 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,551 of 19,652
There are great inputs, thank you for all the information, especially AnakChan and Currawong.

Also special thanks to Anak for keeping the thread nice and clean. We get more positive and informative thread.

What I read so far is very tempting; excellent build quality, nice UI, fast working software, sound signature close to HM901 and it is not very far away from top dogs. Well for around 400 bucks, can you get any better? Don't forget that the device is also USB DAC/AMP too.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2,552 of 19,652
Well this dap should have the same storage amount as the ZX1 as the largest cards right now are 64gb so a total of 128gb for both players. Of course if you are one that carries different cards with you that's different. 

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2,553 of 19,652
  Well this dap should have the same storage amount as the ZX1 as the largest cards right now are 64gb so a total of 128gb for both players. Of course if you are one that carries different cards with you that's different. 

There is also possibility to use external hard drives through USB OTG. Also, new coming 128 gb µ sd cards might be working too.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #2,556 of 19,652
  I do carry different cards with me, hi res files can take a lot of space...

I carry five micro sd cards and 2 sd cards with me in a little box... so being able to use sd card is a big deal for me. the downside of sd card is that the dap would usually have a slower start up time...

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,557 of 19,652

I carry five micro sd cards and 2 sd cards with me in a little box... so being able to use sd card is a big deal for me. the downside of sd card is that the dap would usually have a slower start up time...

Unless it had at least 500 gig I wouldn't consider without an SD slot. full size is better (cost and capacity) but micro are fine

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #2,558 of 19,652
  I had a go of the X5 today at the e-earphone show in Tokyo with my FitEar Parterres. 

My impressions:

1. The build quality is EXCELLENT.
  2. The buttons need labels. While it is possible to get used to knowing what they do, it means every time you pass the device to someone to listen with they wont have a clue how to operate it and you have to explain it to them.
  3. The UI is fast. 
  4. Dual micro-SD cards is very handy.
  5. I'm not sure why, but the unit I had locked up trying to play a song and was very sluggish until it was restarted.
  6. The scroll wheel only works to adjust volume after one of the side volume buttons is pressed.
  7. It recognised my microSD card and its contents pretty fast. I'm not sure about playlists though yet.
  8. The sound quality is good. Not AK120 good, but possibly not too far off. I didn't A/B them as I don't have one and everyone I did know who had one sold theirs or wasn't at the show, but I felt it was slightly less clear than I was used to with the iRiver devices.
  9. I didn't test or look at any other functionality in the unit. 

Thanks for the brief impression! How does it compare to AK100 which is near it's price range?

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,562 of 19,652
  How does it compare SQ wise with the X3? I think a lot of us X3 owners are watching anxiously wondering if the SQ jump is going to be worth the money.

Well, it's already been noted that the X5 has no apparent roll-off in the treble, so that would, perhaps, be at least one differentiating factor:

The X5 does excel in imaging.

I'm gonna admit I didn't seem to hear anything out of the ordinary for the low and high end which kinda implies that it's quite full sounding - no roll offs anywhere that was glaring.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2,564 of 19,652
What about the X3's mid-bass bump? Does the X5 share that or not?

I have not heard the X5, but James (Fiio) has stated that the X5 is conceived as a 'neutral'-sounding DAP, so hopefully there won't be any overt humps or roll-offs anywhere in the frequency response...hopefully!

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #2,565 of 19,652
Is the battery a user replaceable one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back